Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at checkin/gate on Swiss

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
In retrospect, I don't know for sure whether it was C2F or Y2C. Guy was at the C counter checking in and asking about an upgrade.
But I clearly heard agent say "$600 today, normally it is $1,500." Would a Y2C be $1,500?
Well if "normally" means when no LMU available and the only upgrade available is to pay the fare difference then sure. The fare difference from Y to C can easily be $1,500. I would even say that would be a pretty good ballpark estimate of the typical fare difference from economy to biz TATL.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GOLD / MM SEN
Dear SFO777

I was #6 who got upgraded by Maitre D`just before take off.
At check in, i asked re cash upgrade from C->F, they asked for 1`500 Dollar, i declined.
However, last minute a DYKWIA Lady appeared and they decided to grade her up from Y to C and me from C to F...i was happy and so was you.....or not? At least this was my impression, didn`t you told your wife about the very good service? I had the impression you enjoy the flight quite a lot, so does your wife. I can be wrong, but at least you enjoyed your filet big times...and you slept quite like a baby...
At the end you even received a present from the Maitre D`

How you mention your flight experience here and how you impressed real live...quite a difference.
However, i thought, it was a very good flight with very good Crew and quite good food....at least in comparison with Lufthansa.

You mentioned to the FA after visiting your son in L.A. you go to Madrid. How was the shorthaul...as bad as the long haul?

Br
Slas
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by slasdempo
Dear SFO777

At check in, i asked re cash upgrade from C->F, they asked for 1`500 Dollar, i declined.
However, last minute a DYKWIA Lady appeared and they decided to grade her up from Y to C and me from C to F...i was happy and so was you.....or not? At least this was my impression, didn`t you told your wife about the very good service? I had the impression you enjoy the flight quite a lot, so does your wife. I can be wrong, but at least you enjoyed your filet big times...and you slept quite like a baby...

How you mention your flight experience here and how you impressed real live...quite a difference.
However, i thought, it was a very good flight with very good Crew and quite good food....at least in comparison with Lufthansa.

You mentioned to the FA after visiting your son in L.A. you go to Madrid. How was the shorthaul...as bad as the long haul?

Br
Slas
proof that the world is really quite small...i have a feeling that the ground experience was underwhelming for SFO777...compare to LH it is
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Dear SFO777

Br
Slas
That is interesting. So just because she made a fuss they upgraded her to a full C cabin?
I don't think the OP was complaining about the service received on board but more about the bad boarding procedure which I do understand and also the ground experience which is underwhelming I admit after experiencing it myself. If you read the post he says the food is a bit better and so is the amenity kit and the service is just as good as LH.
Regarding the hard product there are mixed opinions which is fair as both products have their pros and cons and the old product still has its loyal fan base.
I think the OP was just underwhelmed as many ppl rave and compliment LX which I personally feel is a bit exaggerated at times. LX is a good airline and there are flights which are great but personally I feel there are much better airlines out there and even LH on a good day can be better or equally as good as LX.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Dear SFO777
I don't know whether I'm more entertained or intimidated by this post.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Dear SFO777
At check in, i asked re cash upgrade from C->F, they asked for 1`500 Dollar, i declined. However, last minute a DYKWIA Lady appeared and they decided to grade her up from Y to C and me from C to F...i was happy and so was you.....or not? At least this was my impression, didn`t you told your wife about the very good service? I had the impression you enjoy the flight quite a lot, so does your wife. I can be wrong, but at least you enjoyed your filet big times...and you slept quite like a baby...

Br
Slas
What a small world this is indeed. Thanks for clearing up the mystery of your last minute upgrade and confirming about the C-to-F cash offer. Glad you were able to enjoy LX First.

Please don't misunderstand. We really enjoyed the service on the flight. Our crew was truly outstanding... one of the best I've experienced on any airline. And the food and wine was better than LH. But as LAX888 surmised, I wasn't blown away as others have suggested. The overall experience is more than just good inflight service and food. IMO, the old 343 hard product is not very good. Seats are not comfortable and as a bed, it is as hard as concrete. One lav for 8 pax plus crew is not as good as LH, SQ or CX. And for someone used to the amazing LH ground experience at FRA or MUC, the LX ZRH F ground experience is not even close.

Originally Posted by divjan
proof that the world is really quite small...i have a feeling that the ground experience was underwhelming for SFO777...compare
to LH it is
Exactly. Great in the air, but LX loses major points on the ground.

Originally Posted by LAX888
That is interesting. So just because she made a fuss they upgraded her to a full C cabin?
I don't think the OP was complaining about the service received on board but more about the bad boarding procedure which I do understand and also the ground experience which is underwhelming I admit after experiencing it myself. If you read the post he says the food is a bit better and so is the amenity kit and the service is just as good as LH.
Regarding the hard product there are mixed opinions which is fair as both products have their pros and cons and the old product still has its loyal fan base.
I think the OP was just underwhelmed as many ppl rave and compliment LX which I personally feel is a bit exaggerated at times. LX is a good airline and there are flights which are great but personally I feel there are much better airlines out there and even LH on a good day can be better or equally as good as LX.
Totally agree. While LX may have an edge in the soft product, LH wins in every other area, from hard product to the FRA/MUC ground experience which IMO is second to none.

Originally Posted by gojko88
I don't know whether I'm more entertained or intimidated by this post.
Pretty amazing that we were on the same flight.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 29, 2012 at 7:26 pm
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Flew JFK - ZRH last week (3. January 2013). At check-in counter, I was offered a Y -> C upgrade for 400 US$.

Of course, I gladly took the bait. The new C-class in the A330 provided a great night's sleep as the seat could become flat...

I was very happy with this offer.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This would have been an upgrade of the oversold variety to avoid op-ups.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:58 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Flew JFK - ZRH last week (3. January 2013). At check-in counter, I was offered a Y -> C upgrade for 400 US$.
What booking class did you end up in?

HTB.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN,
Originally Posted by hugolover
This would have been an upgrade of the oversold variety to avoid op-ups.
Flew EWR ZRH on the 9th of Jan economy was overbooked by 20, and they offered check in $400 to upgrade from Y to C.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I flew 7 January HKG-ZRH, they offered at check-in $1500 for upgrade Y to C (small advertising panel was on the desk), the girl who do check-in even ask us about it.

Not really a bargain.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
I flew 7 January HKG-ZRH, they offered at check-in $1500 for upgrade Y to C (small advertising panel was on the desk), the girl who do check-in even ask us about it.

Not really a bargain.
Was that HKG $ or USD $ ?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Was that HKG $ or USD $ ?
Nice catch! I think you know the answer. It may even have been CHF
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by travexp
Flew EWR ZRH on the 9th of Jan economy was overbooked by 20, and they offered check in $400 to upgrade from Y to C.
I flew ZRH-ORD back in mid-December, same upgrade amount was offered to others (not to me though). Turns out it was likely overbooked as a few of us got upped from Y to C at the gate.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by na-flyer
was that hkg $ or usd $ ?

HK$ 1500 = US$ 193

US$ 1500 one way upgrade Y to C HKG -> ZRH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.