Wiki Posts
Search

Mattress run (/ holiday / mileage run)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Mattress run (/ holiday / mileage run)

I'll be in San Francisco for three in November as part of a British Airways tier point run, which will also be a mini-vacation.

In order to maximise my return and try different properties, I will be staying at the W, The Palace and Le Meridien, with the Palace booked under an FHR rate. My SPG member exclusive promotion involves getting a free night voucher after 3 stays.

Anyway, I just wanted to share and see if anyone has done something similar in San Francisco before!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hotel hopping to boost stay count has been a ting for a while.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l-hopping.html
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Originally Posted by ringingup
In order to maximise my return and try different properties, I will be staying at the W, The Palace and Le Meridien, with the Palace booked under an FHR rate. My SPG member exclusive promotion involves getting a free night voucher after 3 stays.

Anyway, I just wanted to share and see if anyone has done something similar in San Francisco before!
That's a funny coincidence because I booked 3 nights in SF yesterday under the very same circumstances and will be staying there 3 nights in October doing a The Palace => Westin St Francis => W using my late check out 4pm SPG Gold option to have all trips overlap for convenience (check in 3pm).

I'll tell you mid-October how smooth in went!

Julien
ringingup likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You are definitely not doing a "mattress run" (checking in and not staying the night). And, if you were, SFO is one of the worst places in the world to do so (expensive hotels)

You are doing "hotel hopping" which is a tried and true technique for turning holidays into stay-based status, as @3Cforme points out. I find that this is best done alone, to avoid complaints from my OH.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I've been doing this for years and now it honestly feels weird staying for two nights or more
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
I've been doing this for years and now it honestly feels weird staying for two nights or more
I DID this for a number of years until I got my LT status, now it feels wonderful
to stay 2-3 nights in the same hotel! Although I am losing out on the 500
point plat amenity every night.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:25 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Been there and done that. My GF started travelling with me last year and at first she didn't understand hopping, but now that I've got the stays out of the way for PLT, the race to PLT50 requal is better for her since stays don't matter.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
SF is my home away from home. A few years ago, I have done the following over a three-week period:

1) W for 12 days, including 2 weekends where I was out of town.
2) Palace for 5 days
3) Westin for 3 days

That was an extended hotel hopping trip, I guess.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Another positive aspect of hotel hopping is seeing more properties in the same city (and thus naturally, staying in several areas). Once hopping has been accomplished in a specific city, I tend to settle on 1-2 areas and hotels therein.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
But if you're already platinum and will hit 50 nights the following year, there's no benefit to hit 25 stays while en route to 50 nights, right?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Extra plat. welcome points.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kevino
Extra plat. welcome points.
Unless the hotel is stingy (and no lounge) and you have to trade them for breakfast.

But otherwise there's no real difference between the 25 stay / 50 night route. I tend towards one-night stays, so I like to guarantee my Plat requal with 25 stays, before determining whether I'm close enough to 50 nights to go for the SNAs or the free night.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I DID this for a number of years until I got my LT status, now it feels wonderful
to stay 2-3 nights in the same hotel! Although I am losing out on the 500
point plat amenity every night.
you can make it up by going green!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unless the hotel is stingy (and no lounge) and you have to trade them for breakfast.

But otherwise there's no real difference between the 25 stay / 50 night route. I tend towards one-night stays, so I like to guarantee my Plat requal with 25 stays, before determining whether I'm close enough to 50 nights to go for the SNAs or the free night.
I take points even with breakfast as an option because I'm traveling on OPM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.