Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What are the published terms of the late check-out benefit?
The exact language on the SPG website is
4 p.m. late checkout, where available. [Footnote: Subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.]
Where can I find these terms stated on the SPG website?
Log into your SPG account and click on My Benefits (or go to https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ybenefits.html).
Where can I find a list of "resort and conference center hotels" on the SPG website?
You can't; it isn't there. However, one of the Starwood social-media representatives has posted (and regularly updates) a list at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html.
Do front-desk clerks at Starwood properties have a program guide that contains information on this benefit?
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Whether they choose to print a hard copy for easy reference or not, the current (2014) SPG Program Guide is available through the company intranet site although the information cited now resides on Page 13, where it still says, "Guaranteed 4 pm late check-out (only at Resorts and Conference Centers is it subject to availability)"
Per Starwood Lurker, the relevant discussion in the 2015 SPG Program Guide is on page 12.
May a resort/conference property offer late checkout for a price?
Not to anyone entitled to late checkout elsewhere. According to Starwood Lurker, if late checkout is available for a price at resort/conference hotels, then it must be made available at no cost to SPG elites.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Yankeeflyer
Thanks for the updated list, William!

It made me think how nice it would be if all *wood and associated hotel employees were as knowledgeable and helpful as you. And then I realized if that were the case, we wouldn't need you!
Unfortunately we know that would never happen. And besides, this is FT, we'd find something to keep all the Lurkers busy!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:55 am

Thank you, Lurker.

Folks, no need to bookmark William's latest post. Our mods are On It & have updated post #1 with a handy link for easy reference. (Thanks, AZTtW!)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
As Platinum, I was denied *any* late check-out this at Sheraton Suites San Diego for Sunday, July 22. I'll reach out to lurkers with details, but the front desk agent was quite rude about this denial. I did not push "the book" on them yet.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
As Platinum, I was denied *any* late check-out this at Sheraton Suites San Diego for Sunday, July 22. I'll reach out to lurkers with details, but the front desk agent was quite rude about this denial. I did not push "the book" on them yet.
Since this is today, you should call the Plat Concierge. Sometimes they call the hotel and inform the property of its obligations to Plats and this can be very effective.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is not a resort or conference center, so the agent was dead wrong. Did you ask to speak to the manager on duty? Do that first and if you still get the same response I would contact the Platinum line or simply just stay in your room until 4 PM. If they charge you any extra, dispute the bill with Starwood Corporate or your credit card company.

I haven't had an outright refusal for late checkout at a Starwood-managed hotel for many years, and it's usually offered to me proactively by the FD agent upon check-in.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by DCBob
This is not a resort or conference center, so the agent was dead wrong. Did you ask to speak to the manager on duty? Do that first and if you still get the same response I would contact the Platinum line or simply just stay in your room until 4 PM. ...
If you just stay in the room you will probably be OK except for housekeeping wanting to clean the room. Just tell them you will not checkout until later and they should not bother you any more. You might get a phone call asking you to leave. Ignore them. If you leave the room you might not be able to get back in as the key is probably coded for noon (or whatever) checkout time. Been there, done that. No repercussions.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had hotels try to deny the late check out, but usually they back down without an apology when it becomes clear that I know the rules and intend to escalate to SPG as necessary.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had hotels try to deny the late check out, but usually they back down without an apology when it becomes clear that I know the rules and intend to escalate to SPG as necessary.
Yeah and they will say we will do this for you as a courtesy.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Yeah and they will say we will do this for you as a courtesy.
+1. I would add they will say as a "one time only courtesy."
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:52 pm

....and I will tell them that it's required and not a favor.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
+1. I would add they will say as a "one time only courtesy."
Funny...I've had these "one time courtesies" a number of times at the same hotel, just after they try to tell them that the late checkout is "subject to availability" and I tell them that they're not a resort or convention hotel.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Thanks for all the responses! I'm following up on my own post from yesterday.

I called platinum concierge but may have been directed to offshore or non-platinum agent, as he categorically denied that late checkout is ever guaranteed at any property. I did hear back from a lurker, I did not pursue this in time to matter.

Eventually after breakfast (which is great at this property, btw), I decided not to pursue a fight and just check out. I commented during check out that I was disappointed in being denied late checkout multiple times and that I intended to follow up with SPG; a manager overheard and apologized profusely - not sure if he was genuinely surprised that some staff were not aware of policy or if he just wanted me to feel better.

Anyway, funny thing is that considering I had checked in after midnight, I could have avoided this whole thing with Your24!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:50 am

Sounds like you reached a Plat Concierge in serious need of retraining. I hope you noted the person's name and location.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sounds like you reached a Plat Concierge in serious need of retraining. I hope you noted the person's name and location.
Yes, I am sure William would want to know this to make sure that person is properly re-educated. And hopefully one of the Lurkers has reported the pathetic lack of training at the Sheraton Suites San Diego. I will be sure to avoid that property.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Eventually after breakfast (which is great at this property, btw), I decided not to pursue a fight and just check out. I commented during check out that I was disappointed in being denied late checkout multiple times and that I intended to follow up with SPG
Please make sure you call Corporate Customer Service and report this : 800-328-6242

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.