Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: United 1K / Starwood Platinum
upcoming vist

Thank you for your honest feedback and recommendations!
Since my trip is so soon and i need multiple rooms I will roll the dice on the Westin Cancun..hope will get a quality upgrade..next time will try either LM or Lagunamar...safe and happy travels!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Amex Centurion
Upgrade reports?

Hi there: it's been about one year since Lurker's posting that official hotel policy is that platinums receive no upgrades (or other special treatment.) It looks like that has *entirely* scared away SPG status holders, since not one platinum or gold on a normal SPG stay has posted a report since. (Nor in tripadvisor, it seems.)

Can anyone report either a positive OR a negative upgrade result? Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 6:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
And what's peoples view on this Westin vs. the Le Meridien down the road?

I have a cancellable booking at the LM but now having seen that gigantic Westin Pool, I think I may be close to being sold.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal

I have a cancellable booking at the LM but now having seen that gigantic Westin Pool, I think I may be close to being sold.
I have the same question, though I'm currently booked at the Westin Lagunamar and am considering the LM. I've read that the pools at the LM don't get a lot of sun because they are blocked by construction next door, so I went with the Westin.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by bradzak
I have the same question, though I'm currently booked at the Westin Lagunamar and am considering the LM. I've read that the pools at the LM don't get a lot of sun because they are blocked by construction next door, so I went with the Westin.
We were just at the LM spa on Sat and at 2 pm, the pool was shaded by the neighboring tall building. Most of the guests were on the newly refurbished beach which was in full sun. If it weren't for the cold front that came through on Fri and Sat, I think the shade would have been welcome but there is plenty of sun on the beach and they had moved the beach chairs out there.

The Lagunamar is a Westin condo timeshare and while very nice for families, if you want a luxury hotel experience stay at the LM (note I have not stayed here, only used the spa and looked at the fitness and pool area). If you want a larger room, a washer and dryer and a fantastic pool area then you would like the Lagunamar. We came on a owner's preview and had a studio. We asked for an upgrade to a 1 bedroom being owners elsewhere and they politely declined saying they were only for owners of this resort so I doubt they will give platinum upgrades.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by alanslegal

Find the Westin Cancun master thread and you'll find plenty of info to make your decision. The consensus is that the rooms and service at the Westin are vastly inferior to the Meridien (don't get me wrong - I stayed there a month ago and the service was fine) but if the pool is your primary issue then you might be better off at the Westin or even Lagunamar.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
Best Airport Transfer Method

All,

I've read through various threads regarding transfer to/from the hotel. As of right now, I have a pickup set with the hotel for the airport. Does anyone know if this is a group shuttle or is it a private transport?

I do know that several people have used:

http://entertainment-plus.net/Tour_transport.cfm#1

and thought they did a good job.

I will be arriving with my wife and infant daughter at around 8 PM, so I don't want to go on the shuttle bus tour of Cancun if it can be avoided.

Any experienced Cancun traveler input appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:33 pm

We booked R/T transportation through the hotel (Che Travel is the name, I believe) and it was private. Just the 2 of us in the minivan, both there and back. Overall, a positive experience.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by TL2000
All,

I've read through various threads regarding transfer to/from the hotel. As of right now, I have a pickup set with the hotel for the airport. Does anyone know if this is a group shuttle or is it a private transport?
We booked r/t through the hotel and it was private both ways in an SUV for two of us. Che Travel was the company.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
I am recently back from 10 nights at Lagunamar. As a Plat I did not notice anything special, but they did accommodate my request for a 1:00 pm check-in and a high floor. As all rooms are the same, I am not sure what else they can do. It should be noted that many people on Trip Advisor have complained about not being able to check in a minute before 4:00 pm, so I am very happy with how I was treated.

My wife, two year old and I really enjoyed our stay. I did check-out the LM down the beach, but the pool area is just not the same. If you want to have a large pool area in the sun, I don't think you will be happy at the LM.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Lagunamar.

Originally Posted by pedro colizzle
Hi there: it's been about one year since Lurker's posting that official hotel policy is that platinums receive no upgrades (or other special treatment.) It looks like that has *entirely* scared away SPG status holders, since not one platinum or gold on a normal SPG stay has posted a report since. (Nor in tripadvisor, it seems.)

Can anyone report either a positive OR a negative upgrade result? Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can definitely checkin before 4pm - we did so. However, if you want a particular room location and are arriving on Saturday or Sunday, it has been our experience that you have to wait for the "good" rooms to be cleaned (prior residents aren't required to check out early to meet your schedule ). IMO it is worthwhile to wait - I'd rather have a 6th floor quiet beach view room than something in the lobby wing, but YMMV.

As for ground transport - highly recommend that you make arrangements through the property. We have done this twice and one benefit is that if you can't locate the van service (rare, as they have a guy with your name on a sign, but it happens sometimes due to flight delays) you can call the concierge on your cell and they will solve the problem. If you arrive domestic (via MEX) the guy is waiting in the terminal, I think maybe before customs; if you arrive international directly from US the guy is waiting immediately outside the terminal exit. They also help with luggage
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TL2000
All,

I do know that several people have used:

http://entertainment-plus.net/Tour_transport.cfm#1

and thought they did a good job.

I will be arriving with my wife and infant daughter at around 8 PM, so I don't want to go on the shuttle bus tour of Cancun if it can be avoided.

Any experienced Cancun traveler input appreciated.

Thanks
Just used them. They were ok. It is a madhouse of people holding signs when you leave the terminal so look sharp.

Not sure if $55 is a good deal or not (r/t for one couple) in a private SUV.

Being a cheapskate, take the bus up and down the hotel zone instead of cabs. Bus costs 15 pesos, taxi costs 120 pesos.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
We are staying at the Westin Resort right now. Yesterday, we went to the Lagunamar for a timeshare presentation. They gave us 6,500 points for it. For the timeshare, they wanted $21,000 for a 2-bedroom (gold) deed with $1350/yr in maintenance fees. We passed.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
$1350 in annual maintainance??? I am always stunned that people will buy into this sort of pricing.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
$1350 in annual maintainance??? I am always stunned that people will buy into this sort of pricing.
$1350 is actually low these days. I know people who own 2BR in Hawaii and elsewhere and pay >$2000 per year.

In fact there are quite a few people who are defaulting on the fees these days due to the troubled economy, and quite a few more who are willing to sell for $1 just to rid themselves of the annual obligation.

Given the current pricing, I agree 100% and I don't think it would ever make sense for me to purchase one. That being said, if I was going to buy, this is a great property and a great location. (Though I think it better to have a home property in a location within a few hours drive rather than one that requires expensive international air travel.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.