Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, HH, SPG
Never stayed at the Westin but my family (Mrs. BHFlyer & three little Flyers) and I spent time at the Sheraton over Christmas (2006) for a night and New Year's (2007) for four.

First, there were a lot of children -- enough that my both my ten and seven year olds found friends to play with -- and a fair number of teenagers & college age kids poolside. It was not an overwhelming number of kids and semi-adults, but there were fair number of them. If you are looking for a wholly adult scene, the Sheraton is not your place. There are two pools: one in from of the Sheraton and a second at the adjacent resort and convention center (the two facilities are in separate buildings but share grounds).

The Sheraton's beach is suitable for tanning but not much else. It is small and very rocky. Good for a walk but not so good for swimming. If it's beach you want, I'd rent a car (there is a National desk in the Sheraton) and drive up the road to Sayulita (35 minutes north) or San Pancho a.k.a. San Francisco (40 minutes north and absolutely lovely).

There is no snorkeling near the Sheraton -- none that I am aware of, anyway, though the hotel could arrange a trip for you.

All rooms face the ocean and that's a wonderful thing. Rooms near the top of the building have very nice views and the sunsets are truly lovely. The first three or four floors of guest rooms, including the "SPG" floors have spacious terraces and at least two chaise lounges. All rooms have large windows, though due to comply with a directive from Starwood (so I was told) the windows in rooms above a certain floor (eighth, maybe ninth) can only be opened few inches (real drag if you like fresh air and the sound of the surf). A well employed phillips head screwdriver addresses this issue.

Rooms near the south end of the hotel are closer to the road, which is not much of an issue unless you are a very light sleeper. Rooms at the north end of the hotel sit over the disco, which is an issue if your room is a floor or two or three over it (one night the music did not stop until 5:30am).

The hotel's restaurants are all decent. The buffet breakfast is quite good and a great deal (about $10 a head) if you have kids with bottomless stomachs.

I like the location. The Sheaton is an easy ten to fifteen (if you have a three year old who insists on walking) minute walk from numerous restaurants and bars. Go out the front door, make a right and walk until you find someplace which appeals to you. The prices will be about half what you'd pay at the hotel and, in my experience the food was just as good, if not better.

The Sheraton has two "markets" where you can get necessities and where, by the way, the $35 (pesos) bottle of water in your room can be had for $7 pesos. If you need more than what can be had in the hotel, there is a terrific hyper-market about five minutes walk north of the hotel and you can get anything from fresh fruit and baked goods to a bottle of tequila (great selection) to a boogie board.

I cannot say enough about the staff who were wonderful during both of our stays. Very warm, friendly and endlessly accomodating.

As for upgrades, I'm no longer a Plat (miss the points, not the 100+ nights in hotels) and got nothing as a Gold. But, my father, who is a Plat and was with us for both trips was upgraded both times.

I looked at the Westin for this last trip and concluded the difference in points and location -- I prefer walking to a taxi -- made the Sheraton a better deal for me. YMMV.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:13 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Old bump - sorry!

I am going to PV for one night by myself. Looking for a good option that is reasonably close to downtown/cultural areas (i.e. not just resort) and close to good food. Would love good running options from the hotel if possible and access to walk along the beach would be nice.

Given the basic criteria above and the following rates, what would be the forum's suggestion on Sheraton vs. Westin in PV:
Westin 7,000 SPG points
Sheraton $98+tax

Many thanks for the thoughts.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
Westin 7,000 SPG points
Sheraton $98+tax.
For a one-night stay? I'd choose the $98 at the Sheraton. I'd rather save the 7K points for something else. Even if the Westin is "nicer", from the previous comments it seems to be farther out from the downtown area you want.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:38 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
For a one-night stay? I'd choose the $98 at the Sheraton. I'd rather save the 7K points for something else. Even if the Westin is "nicer", from the previous comments it seems to be farther out from the downtown area you want.
Thanks very much! That was the direction I was leaning, glad to get the confirmation that I was on the right track.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:35 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to update, I had a one-night stay at the Sheraton earlier this month. As a SPG Platinum I got an upgrade to a nice Junior Suite. The hotel grounds were pretty nice though the beach wasn't that great. The room was clean and the view was outstanding.

Tip: if you have a Junior Suite there is a hammock in the closet and attachments on the balcony. I didn't notice until I was checking out.

I liked that it was a walkable to town but not right in the center of it.

Only complaint is the constant pestering about "why just one night?" I was asked no less than 5 times during my check-in process. That said, for $90/night it was a good deal.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT & Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Puerto Vallarta: Which Hotel for 3 Year Old?

It’s between the Marriott & Westin. Which would be best for our three year old?

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
I can't comment on the Marriott or Westin, but the Sheraton Buganvilias has a Sheratoons kids' club with kids' activities. My wife and I don't have kids, so I can't comment on the quality of the club, but it's something that I've seen.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I stay at the PV Marriott just about every year. There is a kids pool that has slides, play houses, etc., although most children seem to play in the big pool. I'm not usually at the hotel in high season (we typically go in early November), but I don't really see many organized kids activities - but I am thinking a 3-year old wouldn't participate anyway.

We love the Marriott, the people who work there are delightful. One note, they have removed tubs from the bathrooms, it's only showers now if that is a problem for your child.

I'm not crazy about the pool or outdoor area at the Westin. While I have never stayed there, we have walked through it several times including this past November. But obviously there are lots of people who love it.

Both hotels are a short stroll to the Marina where there are plenty of places for breakfast, dinner, etc. If going in season, the Thursday night market is a lot of fun to attend.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Travel around the world with so young kids......
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:21 pm

We have only been staying at Marriott because we have points with them. It's very family-friendly and have stayed there several times. When our kids were young, we were able to arrange at the front desk for a baby sitter to stay with them in the room so that my wife and I could go for a romantic-couple dinner on the hotel premice. They have a lot of dining options which is nice.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Sorry to bump an old thread but deciding between these two resorts. Was able to BRG Westin to be the same total cost as Sheraton for four nights, has anyone stayed at both post Covid?

Im a Bonvoy Plat, read that there’s a club at Sheraton but not Westin?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Sheraton only because it's s much closer to town. I used to get great upgrades there before it got Bonvoy'd on awards, but last time they stuck me in a dank ground floor room. Ugh.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Sorry to bump an old thread but deciding between these two resorts. Was able to BRG Westin to be the same total cost as Sheraton for four nights, has anyone stayed at both post Covid?

Im a Bonvoy Plat, read that there’s a club at Sheraton but not Westin?
What site did you use for the BRG? I’ve never had any luck with BRGs for Mexico resort properties using Kayak and the bigger US based sites.

Id go with Sheraton too, mainly for the proximity to town. Neither have good beaches (but there aren’t really any good beaches in “central” PV anyway... apart from the Ziva beach). Just avoid connecting rooms if at all possible. You get a LOT of noise.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:48 pm

I would stay at the Westin in a heartbeat before the Sheraton. Have done so a few times.....Westin has a great little pool along with great views. It is in a much quieter area with many places to eat in the Marina area which is walking distance.
If you are looking to walk along the beach etc., than the Westin would not suit that? The streets back there are fairly quiet and we could take walks even over to the Marriott for a drink if so desired.....Bus stop pulls right in front of the Westin which takes you wherever you want to go.
Also a convenience store right across the street for anything you need.

In saying that it has been a few years since we visited so not sure if the Club Lounge is still active or not or what if anything else has changed with Marriott on board?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:43 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Considering a trip to PV over Memorial Day weekend, and these two properties seem to have the best combination of price and beach location. No recent reviews of the Marriott here, and not much for the Westin.

All else being equal (the prices are $4/night different), any good reasons for 2 adults who want a beach and a hottub and nearby restaurants to pick one vs. the other?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.