Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Thailand General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel shoud I choose? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel shoud I choose? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by abraxis
I will be in Bangkok for 25 hours. Once I arrive, I will need a hotel to recover from the flight. I was wondering...

Since I will be arriving at 0500, I was wondering which SPG is easiest to get to from BKK via airport train (or just to get to)
Sheraton Grand Sukumvit(BTS asok)
St.Regis Bangkok(BTS Rajdamri)

Both are direct connect with BTS
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I wouldn't take the train though.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I will be in Bangkok for 25 hours. Once I arrive, I will need a hotel to recover from the flight. I was wondering...

Since I will be arriving at 0500, I was wondering which SPG is easiest to get to from BKK via airport train (or just to get to) and if the hotels have a day/24 hour rate since I fly out the next day at 0800. Being able to get to the hotel asap to sleep would be great if they have a 24 hour rate, OTW I will do early check in later in the afternoon.
Taxi is cheap and traffic not bad at that time of morning. whichever hotel takes your fancy as travel distance wont be much different. If you definitely want to use train then SGS, Westin, PA, StR and W are all in easy walking distance.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Good to know. I remembered how bad Bangkok traffic is and my first reaction was to "Take the train".
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Good to know. I remembered how bad Bangkok traffic is and my first reaction was to "Take the train".
It ain't bad at 5 or 6am.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Since I will be arriving at 0500, I was wondering which SPG is easiest to get to from BKK via airport train (or just to get to) and if the hotels have a day/24 hour rate since I fly out the next day at 0800. Being able to get to the hotel asap to sleep would be great if they have a 24 hour rate, OTW I will do early check in later in the afternoon.
By far the easiest, and I am surprised nobody has mentioned, is the new SPG hotel right near the airport.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

So confused. I the new W Phuket on the beach? And why does it say it is a 45 minute drive to the nightlife? Is there a hotel with a beach and close to nightlife?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by auh2o
So confused. I the new W Phuket on the beach? And why does it say it is a 45 minute drive to the nightlife? Is there a hotel with a beach and close to nightlife?
It is not set to open until 2018 so we have a while to understand still.

Are you looking for a hotel with a good beach near Phuket? There are many- I suppose though if you want nightlife and a beach and a W your best bet would actually to head over to Bali where the W meets those criteria and the nightlife is probably a bit nicer than what you find in Phuket.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:24 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

What about the W Retreat Koh Samui ?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by auh2o
What about the W Retreat Koh Samui ?
I personally don't think the nightlife on Samui is in anyway interesting. Samui is best for serious relaxing. This being said- you will want to locate closer to Chaweng Beach if you want nightlife- the drive from the W Samui is quite far to any of the nightlife spots. With the possible (and the chance is slight) exception of Q Bar (which is a drive in itself anyway) the vast majority of Chaweng Beach nightlife you probably want to avoid. Dirty, tacky, noisy without good music.

Very good cocktails can be found on Samui and usually these are at the hotel resorts which are not really what I would term as nightlife.

If you wish to stay in Thailand for nightlife station yourself at the SGS or Westin and spend some time in and around Sukhumvit and Thonglor- the latter where particularly at the moment there seems to be quite a bit going on.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
To be fair, Samui nowadays does have quite a lot of nightlife. My favourite are the beach parties at Ark Bar, but there's also Nikki Beach and a whole host of clubs, bars and beach resort parties.

Phuket meanwhile is pretty unpleasant.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:33 pm
Suspended

A shame there are no options in or around Krabi.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
A shame there are no options in or around Krabi.
Most people head over to Krabi to appreciate the peace and tranquility.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
To be fair, Samui nowadays does have quite a lot of nightlife. My favourite are the beach parties at Ark Bar, but there's also Nikki Beach and a whole host of clubs, bars and beach resort parties.
I suppose Nikki Beach or Beach Republic can be passable- the last couple of times I have swung by it was a full on UK soccer hooligan mates piss up which wasn't really the scene for my wife and I anymore. Perhaps a case of "horses for courses?".

If the OP is headed to Nikki Beach and wants to stay at a SPG property (or to Beach Republic for that matter)- probably the closest for proximity would be the Luxury Collection property.

I think the REN may have some goings on as well- not sure if that is still happening though.

Again- if looking for big nightlife Bali seems a better bet in 2015 and the W in Bali is right in the middle of it- I did swing by for their Sunday brunch with DJ and the music was quite OK and the food and drink good with a nice view over the water- crowd mixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.