FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   FAQ: SPG and Priceline (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/709378-faq-spg-priceline.html)

777 global mile hound Dec 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 8883542)
To my surprise I received credit for my first ever Starwood stay (SF Market St), which I booked through Hotwire. I paid around $99/night for two rooms for two nights, including taxes (~$460 all in). After the stay I was credited 360 points twice. I am confused. Maybe the rate was actually $90/room and I got double points for using my Starwood Amex?

Now if they could just get Spg.com stays and welcome amenity points to post so well.
Maybe Hotwire could help Starwood :D

media310 Jun 17, 2008 11:12 am

Priceline Booking and Upgrades

When booking a room thru priceline are you still able to recieve Gold and Plat Upgrades?

I called the hotel to add my Gold # to my reservation and was told they couldnt do it becuase I booked on priceline. Is this typicall? Wonder why a res agent would say this? I work in the industry and am always more then accommodating with peoples request to add there account numbers...

So what are the odds of getting a room upgrade 6/20-6/23 in a mostly business weekday hotel in the heart of downtown LA - Westin Bonaventure

Or with Priceline, am I just a Red Head Step Child to them? I wish the agents didnt see the rate the guest was paying, why treat me differnt then the guys thats wasnt smart enough to shop for a good room rate

Starwood Lurker Jun 17, 2008 11:24 am

Originally Posted by media310 (Post 9894024)
When booking a room thru priceline are you still able to recieve Gold and Plat Upgrades?

I called the hotel to add my Gold # to my reservation and was told they couldnt do it becuase I booked on priceline. Is this typicall? Wonder why a res agent would say this? I work in the industry and am always more then accommodating with peoples request to add there account numbers...

There is no functionality built into the reservation system that would allow an associate to alter a Priceline reservation in any fashion whatsoever.

So what are the odds of getting a room upgrade 6/20-6/23 in a mostly business weekday hotel in the heart of downtown LA - Westin Bonaventure...
That would depend upon the generosity of the hotel at check-in; however, they are not obligated to offer in-hotel benefits on pre-paid stays, such as Priceline bookings.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

media310 Jun 17, 2008 11:30 am

Last Question

Would it be smart to call the GM before my arrival and let him know I am comming to Purpose to my girlfriend and am a Gold Member?

Or just smile and mention this upon checkin?

KENNECTED Jun 17, 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by media310 (Post 9894156)
Would it be smart to call the GM before my arrival and let him know I am comming to Purpose to my girlfriend and am a Gold Member?

Why? If you book via priceline (please see the spg T&Cs) you're not entitled to any SPG member benefits, period.

EDIT: to add here's a comprehensive priceline discussion thread.
SPG and Priceline [Master Thread]

media310 Jun 17, 2008 11:58 am

Why??

$75.00 on priceline vs $129.00 direct is a savings of over $150.00 during my trip.

Im not here for point collecting, just like to travel and get great deals.. Maybe I posted int he wrong form

rdchen Jun 17, 2008 12:02 pm

never mind, just realized pre-arrival point UG might not be possible on PL booking.

msvacation Jun 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Upgardes on PL

I've found it hit or miss on upgrades while on a PL stay. I've gotten them sometimes and sometimes not.

The best I did was the Westin in Maui on a PL stay. I VERY nicely asked if I could get an upgrade (I mentioned that it was my first trip to Maui -true) and the kind agent gave me a double upgrade to from a GV to a POV. I was gold at the time.

Asking nicely helps but sometimes there are no upgrades to pass on. I would (if possible) mention that it's a special occasion when you check in to see if that tips the scales.

Good luck and I hope she says yes^

Non-NonRev Jun 17, 2008 12:51 pm

You do have the ability to earn SPG points for eligible incidental spend, so you certainly should provide your number on check-in.

This works in you favor in the sense that, with very little fuss or effort, it establishes you as a Gold member and it lets the clerk know that you know the rules re: no points for the room charge and no stay credit.

Also, try to establish some rapport with the clerk - maybe mention that you saw the hotel in XXX movie or TV show, something like that. If you decide to mention the impending proposl, have a photo in your wallet or your shirt pocket ready to show ;)

At this point, nicely ask about an upgrade, and cross your fingers.

Best of luck, both in getting the upgrade and in the proposal. :)

incognism Jun 17, 2008 1:12 pm

A simple email to the property should suffice. Something simple that indicates that you're giving them a heads-up in hopes that they'll be able to make sure your stay is a special and memorable (POSITIVELY, hopefully :) ) one!

KENNECTED Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by incognism (Post 9894764)
A simple email to the property should suffice. Something simple that indicates that you're giving them a heads-up in hopes that they'll be able to make sure your stay is a special and memorable (POSITIVELY, hopefully :) ) one!

I think that suggestion is ridiculous (this is not an insult to the poster or being rude) as SPG is a loyalty program and you should not be rewarded for using priceline. Where is the loyalty in that? In addition, upgrades are based on the time of check-in, although we know many properties try to pre book.

I don't care how much you spent or what your status is this year, last year, the year before that and so-on-and-so forth, blah, blah, blah! This "upgrade" could potentially affect a spg member who booked via the appropriate channels. Then what do you know, we have members posting here, saying things like, "I've been platinum for years and I never get upgraded." etc.

If you want upgrades, book via the proper channels. Period.

Non-NonRev Jun 17, 2008 1:25 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention this in my other post: Since the Bonaventure is a 1500 room convention-oriented hotel, I took a peek at the LA Convention Center Calendar. It looks like you sandwiched your stay between the International Rotary Convention (6/15-6/18) and the Obstretic and NeoNatal Nurses Convention (6/22-6/24). Although I suspect that the Rotary group is quite a bit larger than the medical group, you might want to keep in mind that a potentially large group is going to be checking in the day after your arrival.

RonGinDC Jun 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Why take chances on a room when you're going to propose??

ldsant Jun 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by RonGinDC (Post 9894849)
Why take chances on a room when you're going to propose??

That's my thought too. Hopefully this is a once in a lifetime type of thing. Splurge for the room if you want something nice. Why risk having a closet of a room if this is important to you? :confused:

Dambus Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 9894265)

Why? If you book via priceline (please see the spg T&Cs) you're not entitled to any SPG member benefits, period.

Why? Why not?
Nothing to loose. Why not ask? cf:

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 9894116)
That would depend upon the generosity of the hotel at check-in; however, they are not obligated to offer in-hotel benefits on pre-paid stays, such as Priceline bookings.

Crystal clear situation - no upgrade entitlement but no harm in asking.