Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Le Meridien Sunny Isles (Miami, FL) (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Le Meridien Sunny Isles (Miami, FL) (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I was told that all the rooms are suites, at least one bedroom, so the only upgrade would be location.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by studio253
I was told that all the rooms are suites, at least one bedroom, so the only upgrade would be location.
That is not consistant with my experience. I used points last year for a one night stay (10k base, plus an extra 1k at time of booking moved me into the lowest suite category, a real bargain by any terms). The hotel then upgraded me to the next suite category 24 hours prior to check-in.

We were very impressed with the room and the hotel in general. Perfect for a family. However, in order to avoid disappointment you need to know what to expect and NOT expect at this property. On the negative side - the hotel has a tiny pool, sometimes spotty service, little by way of local restaurants or night life etc. On the plus side this property offers fantastic condo style suites with all the amenities to support a comfortable family holiday, stunning views from many rooms, direct beach access, and very good point redemption value. If you need space and classy condo-style amenities and tend to be an independant traveller, it would be difficult to beat this hotel for value.

I'll definitely return for a longer stay next time.

SG

Last edited by Snow Goose; Dec 26, 2007 at 8:43 pm
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
I stayed with family of 5 last year and loved the large 1 bedroom suite. Plenty of room for all 5 of us. We had a blast shopping at the grocery store across the street and cooking in the wonderful kitchen in our suite as a family. Kids also enjoyed playing name that car as every other car coming out of the garage ended in a vowel. Lambo, Ferrari, etc
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:08 am

I stayed at this hotel during prime christmas holiday season last December - and have already booked our return trip this December. We were former patrons of the Sheraton Bal Harbour for many years and prior to staying here we were concerned that there wouldn't be enough "happening" at this hotel, including the small pool area. That we have re-booked should tell you we enjoyed our experience.

A few key points:

-Yes, the hotel is in a rather odd location, not near any "tourist friendly" attractions and not in walking distance of anything other than some strip shopping areas.
-part of the hotel is operated as a condominium and from time to time you may find less expensive room rates for these units on VRBO or CraigsList. Note that these room options do not include housekeeping service.
-for the suites, the cost per square foot was IMO much better than any other hotel in the area, including any in Sunny Isles. Our 2BR/3bath suite included 2 balconies, ocean front views. Price point was below the 1BR suites at the Sheraton Bal Harbour
-the rooms are well appointed and if you are traveling with small children and staying any length of time , the suites (which include a kitchen and washer/dryer) are wonderfully laid out. They include DVD/CD players.
-to make best use of the rooms, book the suite and do a quick shop at the Publix supermarket across the street. The ability to have our own breakfast and lunch made in the room not only guaranteed a more healthy diet but also proved to be much less expensive.
-the pool area is very small, though if you have young children that are new to swimming it is more manageable and preferred in our opinion.
-the pool and beach areas do start to lose sunshine in the early afternoon; secure a space as far south on the beach if you wish to be in the sun
-the hotel staff were first rate and extremely accomodating. The beach staff in particular were much better than the staff at the Sheraton Bal Harbour.
-the in-house restaurant is a well respected fine dining establishment in the area which means for crowds at dinner time in the lobby
-valet attendants were very prompt with our car when we requested it
-there is a modest resort fee, but nothing unreasonable compared to other hotels

Many people attempt to compare this to the Westin Diplomat up the beach in Hallandale. The Westin has more of a large resort feel and also suffers from the same "shade" issue in the pool area. Pricing the two out usually reveals that Le Meridien is less expensive, especially for the suites. Still, if you want that big resort hotel feel, with the desire to have lots of things happening around you, the Westin will be better for you.

If you are looking for a "South Beach" experience, this isn't the place for you. If you are traveling with kids and need a high quality, (relatively) affordable resort on the beach near your family living in the area, this should suit your needs perfectly.

We found the GM very accessible - call him and ask any specific questions.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: continental
Originally Posted by jginnyc
We found the GM very accessible - call him and ask any specific questions.
Hi
How can I reach the GM at this property. do you have his email address?
thank you

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 30, 2009 at 1:07 pm Reason: Deleted bulk of quote to simplify reading
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dwong1 you have PM
Old Jan 31, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: continental
hi,
is the publix market within walking distance from the hotel? I am thinking of not renting a car to avoid the $25 valet parking fee and instead, taking a cab from the FLL airport.
dwong1

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 31, 2009 at 8:13 am Reason: Deleted large quote to simplify reading
Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:25 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dwong1
hi,
is the publix market within walking distance from the hotel?
Yes, it's 1-2 blocks down and across the street.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Any more recent reports on this property? Is there parking available other than the valet parking? How is the surrounding area?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Originally Posted by 2cents
Any more recent reports on this property? Is there parking available other than the valet parking? How is the surrounding area?
I believe the only parking is valet.

Tons of shopping and eating along Route A1A which is Collins Ave. Beach on one side, shopping centers on the other.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Le Meridian Sunny Isle Florida opinions welcome!

The Le Meridian is the only SPG property in this area that I have not stayed at. I would aprreciate any input..beaches, propery, pool, room ect.
Did I mention I need this as quick as possible?

All help is very appreciated,

I have a rooom with a balcony, if that makes any difference.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Exclamation

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/florida-hotels/644177
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
The Le Meridian is the only SPG property in this area that I have not stayed at. I would aprreciate any input..beaches, propery, pool, room ect.
Did I mention I need this as quick as possible?

All help is very appreciated,

I have a rooom with a balcony, if that makes any difference.
I stayed at the hotel a few months ago then read back through this thread and all the comments are still very applicable - take a look.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:40 am

just learned that this property is leaving SPG in the next week or so. Anyone have any details? Who is the new owner? Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by jginnyc
just learned that this property is leaving SPG in the next week or so. Anyone have any details? Who is the new owner? Thanks.
I wonder if they are going to full out condo conversion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.