Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow Sheraton Maui, Hawaii (Master Thread)

I've been down on the SPG program since the "devaluation," as there don't seem to be too many properties that I'd want to stay at that are Cat. 5 or below. With fewer places to burn miles -- and room rates (even on priceline) reaching the stratosphere on Maui -- I decided to burn points at the Sheraton Maui. It was an excellent choice, at least for a family vacation.

After some difficulty, I was able to get the Sheraton Maui at the standard 12,000 point level (you may find an earlier thread where I complained that they tried to charge an extra 1500 points/night on the theory that "standard rooms" were unavailable, but they later released rooms at the standard level). A good decision, because as a Gold they upgraded me to oceanfront in building 3, which was an excellent location.

I always like when a resort "tries" to please their guests, and the Sheraton Maui seems to be trying hard. The employees seem genuinely pleasant and happy with their jobs -- an "aloha" spirit that's harder to come by these days. They run a complementary activities program that is very kid-friendly, everything from lei-making to coconut husking to ukulele lessons -- as well as their famous evening cliff-diving ceremony and evening hula dancing. The guy running the program, a Samoan named John, is quite a character, and very good with the kids. Heck, the hotel even has a lady who hands out free pineapple slices at the pool in the afternoon. That's certainly trying!

I was a little concerned about the age of the property, but the renovations from a few years ago have kept the property current, and they seem to be continually renovating the rooms. Mine was completely modern, with new carpet, beds and a flat screen TV, and I saw them bringing in new furniture and such for other rooms. So as the "original" resort on Maui, you get all the best (location -- it has the best beach and snorkeling) and none of the worst. I know some people perfer the nearby Westin, but to my eye, that place looked cramped compared to the extensive and less busy grounds of the Sheraton. At Building 3, there was even plenty of free parking (once you pay the resort fee, of course), which is somewhat of a rarity at Hawaiian hotels, where latecomers usually have to hunt for a place to leave their rent-a-cars.

If there's a weakness to the hotel, it may be their food service. For a resort, some may expect a bit better options. At least the prices are not exhorbitant (at least by Hawaiian standards). And, if you're travelling with kids, you get a free kids meal with every entree in the main restaurant. So a family of 4 can have the breakfast buffet for less than $50, which is a good deal in Hawaii.

I'm always a bit worried when I find a Starwood hotel that still seems a "bargain" on points, and perhaps the current spike in Hawaiian room rates places this on the "endangered" list of Cat. 5 hotels (or perhaps they will expand the current very limited "peak" days when they charge an extra 4,000 points per night). But for now, at least there's a place on Maui worth 12,000 points/night.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
You say you were traveling with family. How many people and did you have to book two rooms or were you charged extra for the kids? I’m new to SPG and always thought that an award booking was only good for two people.

I’ve been to Maui a few years ago and just loved it. I’m considering going back but with two kids this time. Hey, the honeymoon is over!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:20 pm

In the US, at least, award travel is for the room, not the number of guests. It is the same as if you were paying for the room. In Europe many hotels charge extra, even for the second person.

I've used the Sheraton Maui on award travel and even had a rollaway bed brought in without having to pay extra.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:24 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by emuyshondt
In the US, at least, award travel is for the room, not the number of guests. It is the same as if you were paying for the room. In Europe many hotels charge extra, even for the second person.
Except that if there are more than two adults in the room, there will probably be extra charges.

I've used the Sheraton Maui on award travel and even had a rollaway bed brought in without having to pay extra.
Hmmm. You may have gotten lucky on this one. The award rate plan advisory for this property says there is a $70 per night charge for rollaways.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As alluded to above, kids are free in existing bedding. Since there are many rooms with 2 double beds (oh, how I wish they were queens!), a family of 4 would have no trouble securing an award reservation.

BTW, I heard that this hotel has a number (perhaps 20) of family rooms that are a bit larger in size and have a partition that can divide the space into separate bedrooms. I've had some success booking family rooms at some other Starwood hotels for award travel at nominal cost -- 1500 points/night over the existing award level. However, in this case, I contacted the hotel in advance and was told family rooms could not be reserved for award travel. I asked again at check-in about them -- I've heard stories of families being upgraded -- but was told they were full. Ironically, the oceanfront room they gave me was probably a higher category than the family room I would have happily "paid" extra for.

BTW, for families staying at this hotel, it's also worth noting that the Royal Lahaina Resort next door (a five minute walk past the golf course) has a luau where each adult can bring a kid for free. If you book it through Boss Frog's (one of the local "activities" wholesalers), adults are only 50 bucks. So a family of 4 can see a luau for $100. For Hawaii, that's very cheap. The luau's not the greatest, but the mai tai's are free and the show is mildly entertaining (kids will like it).
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, for families staying at this hotel, it's also worth noting that the Royal Lahaina Resort next door (a five minute walk past the golf course) has a luau where each adult can bring a kid for free.

That’s where I stayed last time.

Thanks for all the info.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL-Gold,Marriott-Plat,*Wood-Gold Hilton-Gold
Which building is building is #3? I will be going there in Sept.Is that the best one to be in?

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would concur with this review based upon my award stay in November 2005 (then only 10k points ). As Gold I was upgraded to ocean view in building 6, which is a bit more remote but has the added advantage of being extremely quiet and right on the beach just past the black rock. The rooms and facilities are top notch - far and above any ordinary Sheraton I've seen and on par with most resorts.

As for food, I tend to avoid hotel restaurants which are always overpriced and often (in the case of room service) mediocre. There are so many dining options on Maui (including many in Whaler's Village that are walking distance from the Sheraton) that on-site food should be at the bottom of your list of concerns.

That being said, one should always consider the alternatives when discussing $ v. points. 18 months ago, rooms could be had for $265/nt + 10% tax in low season - not too shabby even at 12k/night. At higher rates, you obviously get an even better value, particularly when using a 4N+1N award.
However you may also want to check with Sheraton Vacations (discussed elsewhere) which recently sold us a 5N package including car rental for $749. If that deal works for you, I think it would be foolish to use points, but YMMV.

We're going to use the package at the Westin this fall, and it will be interesting to compare them firsthand.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
I have booked the Sheraton Maui with points too, we go this June.
We did the package offer last year for $749 and loved it so much we are
going back. I am glad to hear of your upgrade. I am gold and have paid
for the first two nights in the ocean front family suite and am hoping for
an upgrade for my points stay.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
However you may also want to check with Sheraton Vacations (discussed elsewhere) which recently sold us a 5N package including car rental for $749. If that deal works for you, I think it would be foolish to use points, but YMMV.
Yeah, that SVO deal has sounded sweet, although I haven't checked lately on whether folks have been "hassled" to attend the timeshare presentation. Frankly, I wasn't willing to commit 5 nights of my Hawaiian vacation to Kaanapali to do that deal. Were I to go again, I'd certainly be willing to stay 5 nights at the Sheraton -- at least at that price!
Old May 28, 2008, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Any updates on this hotel? We're headed to Maui in November.

dh
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:12 pm

Ranking of Buildings/Rooms

Any thoughts on how the different buildings/rooms compare? Are Ocean Front Rooms in Building 6 better than Junior Suites in Building 3?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: HH diamond
Removed my post as it was a general question about award stays at *wood resorts, not just this particular resort, although I will be staying here next month.

Last edited by wheat27; Oct 2, 2008 at 3:14 pm Reason: Posted to wrong thread
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: spg/gold, Hawaiianmiles
Room upgrade for points August 2009 FYI

Hello All,
Just reserved a standard award room for late August 2009. 12K per night with 5th night free. I called the Gold preferred guest # to inquire about room upgrades for more points. I was quoted 14.5K for an ocean view room. Didn't quite have the points so I asked if I could upgrade later (if available) and the agent said yes.

My family spent and enjoyable 2 nights back in 2007 in a deluxe ocean front room. I didn't get the spg amex card for my business until over a year later but I did notice my confirmation did say "welcome back". Glad to see they keep records for that kind of thing. (don't know where those points went however, was paying $500 + real money at the time!) I had joined spg to get the best rate as recommended by the Maui revealed guidebook.

From what I've read here Gold upgrades are possible at this property but for another 2500 per night for an upgrade I may very well spring for the guaranteed upgrade.

I'll post more details later if warranted.

Last edited by badpelican; Feb 10, 2009 at 11:34 pm
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by badpelican
I didn't get the spg amex card for my business until over a year later but I did notice my confirmation did say "welcome back". Glad to see they keep records for that kind of thing.
I've had many an e-mail from hotels I haven't stayed at before that start off with "Welcome back."

(I think it might be tied to reservations that I've had and canceled at that hotel before? )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.