Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Book Cadillac Detroit [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Book Cadillac Detroit [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:25 pm

It's open

Overall, they did a beautiful job restoring the building. The facade is spotless, the public areas have a pretty standard Westin look to them. Grays/blues/browns throughout. Minimalist flower arrangements, art glass and flat screen TVs everywhere.
The staff are very proud of the ballrooms and lounge (the so-called Italian Garden) on the 4th floor and there is a stream of locals coming in just to look at the Murano glass chandeliers, etc. Some are former guests and employees of the hotel, some are just there to marvel that something good is happening in the state. There has been a lot of coverage in the local media around the Grand Opening festivities and the reactions are mixed. People are either proud or resentful that someone out there can still afford all this 'luxury.'
Reception is on the 2nd floor (and not clearly sign-posted from the lobby.)
There is also a bar, a breakfast/lunch restaurant, and the pool/gym on this floor. When we were there (before the Grand Opening) the escalators up to reception were not yet operational, so there was a bit of a wait for the elevators.
Plat status was acknowledged and an upgrade pre-booked. There were no suites available but we got a very nice corner 'Premium' room and access to the Exec lounge on the 23rd floor. The lounge is open from 6am to 10pm with various food offerings through the day. I did not ask about alcohol pricing/availability.
The room was long and narrow-ish and had a separate seating area with 2 large flat screen TVs (one in front of the bed and another in front of the seating area.) Since you can see either TV from everywhere in the room, it seemed like overkill. Long and narrow bathroom with a separate tub, dual shower-head shower and standard Westin fixtures. The shower stall seemed oddly tight given how much empty space there is in the bathroom overall.
According to the front desk, valet parking is $25. We parked in the adjoining structure for $5 (the front desk did not know how much the structure cost and was wrong about opening hours for the lounge, so it might pay to double-check any info at least in the beginning as the staff learn. The clerk was surprised that I wanted points rather than the other amenities on the card, so it's all very new to them. Incidentally, there was no bill under the door in the morning and my stay has not yet posted to my account a week later)
You need a key to access floors above the public areas. Floors above the 23rd are the Residences.
The ground floor features Roast, Detroit's 4th celebrity-chef restaurant this year. This place is definitely carnivore-centric (there is a roasted pig spinning on a spit in front of the open kitchen.) It's not just a steak-house, however, offering venison, veal, and chicken liver, marrow, and beef cheek appetizers. The manager had no idea how to process SPG points for dining but promised to have that conversation with the hotel.

There is a grand opening special on offer on the hotel web-site, pay $209 for the first night, get the 2nd and 3rd for $19.24.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:30 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mashav
There is a grand opening special on offer on the hotel web-site, pay $209 for the first night, get the 2nd and 3rd for $19.24.
Masha, thanks for the report. The grand opening special is quite a deal.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by mashav
i couldnt find this on the site, do you have a link or a code that i can use?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Platinum upgrades

I'm looking at a trip back to the "D" in June (hopefully in time for another Stanley Cup parade ). Any recent experiences with Plat upgrades--good or bad?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:49 am

Not a Bad Upgrade

Stayed here (along w/ the other two Westins) two weekends ago to watch my Oilers lose to the 'Wings. This reservation was on Cash & Points and I was surprised to have been given a pretty nice suite on the 19th floor. The room quite large featuring two huge plasma TVs and a nice work area. The club lounge was really something else. There was also free wireless in the lobby which I'm guessing is becoming standard. Because it was an afternoon game, they were nice enough to extend to us a pretty late checkout (beyond 4pm) and even held our luggage while we enjoyed the WinterBlast activities before heading to DTW. Overall, a really good stay. I was really surprised w/ the Westins in Detroit -- they were all very nice and almost made up for the result at Joe Louis Arena. Almost.

The downtown area's where the Book Cadillac’s at is really not bad despite what you may read. We walked to the game and also to GreekTown afterwards and even took the people mover back to the hotel and felt pretty safe.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
Great to hear a decent out-of-town review....I'm hoping to stay there in two weeks - Greektown is great - hope you made it to the Old Shillelagh near G-town for some fine Irish hospitality!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I completed a stay at this property last week. I got a very nice upgrade to a corner suite, with access to the lounge for breakfast and cocktails (though I never used this). The room had a separate shower and bathub. If I had one complaint it was that the room was always a little chilly, no matter how high I set the thermostat. I ate dinner one night in the "24" restaurant on the ground floor--a very good meal. The staff were very friendly and the hotel is beautiful. Valet parking was quick to return our car each morning. The surrounding area is not pretty but appeared safe. I hope the hotel makes it through these troubling times, especially in Detroit.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
stayed there last week:

- the hotel itself is really nice. the rooms were huge and well appointed. myboss got a suite which was the same size as my starwood preferred floor room but had 2 tvs and some chairs. as it was just one room and the other tv was literally 10 feet away it didnt make much sense, but nice all the same. huge bathrooms with shower and bathtub separate. my room had but the one tv, and combined shower and bathtub, but same size bathroom. no complaints about either room.

- the lobby and restaurants were really nice, although the service was probably the worst i've ever had at any starwood property in the world.

- the lounge was disappointing. actually, it was terrible. it looked like a great lounge, well stocked and nice. but the lounge lady followed me around with her vacuum type thing waiting for any crumb, was really rude, and basically I felt I had to leave fairly quickly. as i was planning on inviting a client up there (and paying for it), i was really annoyed, but the marriott down the street at the ren centre probably didn't mind my business.

- the location is great for business - about a 10 minute walk to anything downtown in financial sector, but the area is pretty dead right near the hotel. the bldg across the street was completely boarded up, and there was nobody walking around at all. detroit's not such a fun place these days I guess.....

- parking valet was 25 bucks. parking next door is now 10. but CASH only.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by jeff3380

- parking valet was 25 bucks. parking next door is now 10. but CASH only.
And if I am not mistaken, thats where the valet parks your car too.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Westin Book Cadillac: high security

Many hotels require that you insert your room card before the elevator will move, but this is the first one I've experienced that will ONLY transport you to your own floor and no other. Friends on other floors cannot visit my room.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
I suspect that this policy is due in large part to the consistent stream of pro sports teams and entertainers that stay there when visiting the Red Wings, Tigers, or Lions and prefer not to be bothered by pesky fans.

I was at this property during the Stanley Cup Finals this May, and ran into both this restriction and, immediately before and after games, a total embargo on elevator access while the Penguins team and visiting CBC Hockey Night in Canada personnel were going to their floors. (Talk about adding insult to injury for a Red Wings fan; the only thing worse would have been having my suite re-allocated to Gary Bettman.)
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
I stayed last weekend at this hotel and while fumbling with my key to put in the slot, another guest who had just put his key in the slot before me and who had selected his floor, offered to do my floor. He hit my floor button which was a different floor than his and it lit up and stopped there for us so I did not experience the unique floor set-up.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:13 pm

Just did my second stay a week or so ago & a couple notes.

1)

Crews are all over the abandoned Lafayette Building across the street. Instead of restoring that unique building, they're in the process of prepping & stripping it for demolition.

2)

There are apparently only **14** occupied condo units in the whole building. I'd say the hotel is doing better than the condo portion is. The Book Cadillac really is a beautifully redone building.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I spent one night here last week, and will definitely return if I have a chance. Beautiful hotel.

I had been pre-assigned one of those goofy "suites" with two tv's in one room. Big bathroom, although just a normal tub. I would have expected a soaker (not that I'm a bath person, but it's something my wife would want). Hotel was offering $5/500 pts for skipping housekeeping.

I arrived a little before 10pm, and hadn't eaten, so headed to one of the restaurants on the main level. Grill 23 had the Wings game on in the bar, so I went there. Unfortunately, I just missed last call on food. They had a decent selection of Michigan beers on tap, although I was disappointed that the double IPA from Arcadia was out.

The club lounge on 23 had steel cut oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and the usual continental choices. Cans of pepsi products were available.

Parking is still $10, cash only, in the next door garage. I wish they had a covered walkway (it was raining) to get from there to the hotel, but it isn't far.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Has anyone stayed here recently? A few questions
- Is street parking available, and if so, safe on a Saturday night?
- Any suggestions on specific suites/directions for the best view?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.