Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

O'Hare Area (Chicago) Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'Hare Area (Chicago) Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Originally Posted by das
What the Four Points has going for it is free parking and free wi-fi. Otherwise it's a fairly depressing old property, recently renovated with new soft goods but bathrooms are small, and most king bed rooms overlook the freeway. As other have mentioned, there is nothing within walking distance so you'll need a car for dining outside the hotel restaurant.

Good news is the hotel is well soundproofed and staff is friendly, but if not for a 2000 point BRG bonus I wouldn't be staying here.
Originally Posted by Maykita
I basically agree with this assessment, but would emphasize how terribly grim and depressing this Four Points is. Dark hallways with stained carpets. Old, tiny bathroom with barely functional plumbing. Well below the level of the average Comfort Inn, IMO. I'd never go back. The parking and shuttle and wifi all work, though, and it is cheap.
Even though the above comments are negative, they don't go far enough in my view. I just think this is a dreadful hotel. Its easily the worst Starwood hotel I've stayed at.

The SPG rooms are small and showing signs of wear. Air conditioning is noisy and the cover fell off mine in the middle of the night and frightened me to death. Inside it was padded up with wet bathroom linen presumably to stop water dripping. The lighting in the rooms is atrocious - you can't even see to unpack your bag. To cap it all just as I was going to bed I noticed the covers on the bed were full with someone else's hairs. I slept with no covers all night - I was actually glad I only had about five hours until my flight.

The restaurant would be put to shame by Denny's. The food is pretty rubbish - worst Philly steak I've ever had anywhere. Plus would you expect a hotel at one of the world's largest airports not to start breakfast service until 7am. Neither the restaurant nor bar service is anything to shout about. Everything is too much trouble and slow. Indeed, I certainly can't say any of the staff are friendly - they go through the motions of "have a nice day" but if you have a problem they couldn't give a damn.

No way would I ever stay there again even if it was cheap - but in typical Starwood style there is no relationship between cost and quality. There are much better value and nicer hotels near O'Hare and the Starwood points don't justify the appalling quality you'd have to put up with if you stayed at this place. The shuttle is efficient and that's about the only good thing I can say - but that is true of most O'Hare hotels I've stayed at.

Last edited by lhr baby; Aug 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just did a stay at the Four Points O'Hare, here's a link to my post in that thread with a stay report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22054409-post45.html

I can confirm what others said above, it's a truly dreadful hotel and even at $64, not worth a stay.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by CMK10
I can confirm what others said above, it's a truly dreadful hotel and even at $64, not worth a stay.
So long as you don't ACTUALLY STAY here, get the "manager's special" $39 rate, and need a MR stay, it's worth it.

Dave
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bseller
So long as you don't ACTUALLY STAY here, get the "manager's special" $39 rate, and need a MR stay, it's worth it.

Dave
Well said, I'll fully support that. Though if you're the type who takes soap home be aware they only give you one bar.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by CMK10
Though if you're the type who takes soap home be aware they only give you one bar.
Good point. Although, I've never actually BEEN in a room there.

Dave
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I just stayed at the Westin O'Hare after multiple past stays at the Aloft O'Hare. I found this thread to be very helpful so I'll contribute my thoughts here as well.

Westin OHare ORD Rosemont IL Chicago Master Thread

In summary:

- SPG (not the Front Desk) upgraded my reservation (originally booked AAA rate for a traditional room) the day before check-in into an Exec Suite
- Front Desk has no Gold/Platinum check in line and didn't volunteer any information (benefits, check out times, shuttle info, wifi, etc)
- After asking, the Platinum Breakfast option was just explained as "continental", no hot items or restaurant credit. We took points.
- No bottled water and empty mini-fridge
- Restaurant was relocated to a ballroom during construction
- Shuttle was on time at every :00/:30

For a simple one night stay before a flight, I'd go back to the Aloft. The full-service Westin seems like it should be nicer under normal conditions, but definitely wasn't while they're under construction. Can't comment if the construction had anything to do with the lackluster level of customer service though.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Just spent one night at the Sheraton O'Hare/Rosemont.

Room was nice, all updated 2-room suites.

But man was that atrium LOUD! It didn't seem like there were that many people down at the bar, but the noise up to our room sounded like a muffled hum of a sports stadium.

This would ordinarily not be a problem because we could have watched tv in our bedroom (with the door closed), but that tv was broken. And I'm just warning people in case you are traveling with someone who needs to use the sofa bed in the living area - very, very loud until after midnight.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Reviving this thread...I am looking for a hotel around O'hare for a combined shopping/mileage run over a weekend in January. Will have a car and spend most of the time driving around to outlet malls in the area. No real intention towards going downtown, so I'm pretty flexible with regard to the location.

That said, my requirements would be:

- free parking
- club lounge (with decent food/drink options)
- low rate (something like $100 or less per night would be appreciated)

Any suggestion what property I should choose? So far I have the Marriott O'hare reserved for $89, but that will charge for parking, so bringing the price over my target-range...

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 19, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You might need to go west to get free parking...Sheraton Elk Grove or Westin Itasca Northwest.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA PG, MR Plat, SPG Plat50
Afternoon all, thought I would revive this thread since my fiancé and I will be going to Chicago over the Independence Weekend and was trying to decide where to stay. Planning to do a points stay and did an initial check of reviews on SPG, as well as the threads for the properties here, to narrow it down. Ended up mainly looking between the Sheraton Grand, Westin River, and W City Center.

Our trip is part eloping, part visiting friends on the northside (and maybe see the Cubs v Reds on the 4th), and part museum visiting. I was kind of looking for the place that does good recognition for Platinum as I try and show him that my time on the road pays off when we're together.

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: And now I just noticed it said O'Hare area, do I feel the fool.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Boilermaker2006
.... Ended up mainly looking between the Sheraton Grand, Westin River, and W City Center..

The Sheraton Grand has a wonderful lounge. As a platinum, they gave me an upgrade to a corner suite that was spectacular. It is walk-able to the Art Institute (maybe 20 minutes) and many other sights.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
IMO the Westin RN has the best location of the three, arguably the nicest rooms (esp. post renovation), best El access, etc. That would be my choice personally.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
The Sheraton Grand has a wonderful lounge. ....
The lounge at this property is an absolute zoo.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The Grand is a big convention hoter. (1200 rooms). Lounge is nice but can get busy when hotel is full.

River North is smaller and has ideal location. Down the block from Harry Carays restaurant, for after-game dining. Also an easy walk to the Rick Bayless restaurants, Frontera Grill and Topolobampo.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Boilermaker2006
Afternoon all, thought I would revive this thread since my fiancé and I will be going to Chicago over the Independence Weekend and was trying to decide where to stay. Planning to do a points stay and did an initial check of reviews on SPG, as well as the threads for the properties here, to narrow it down. Ended up mainly looking between the Sheraton Grand, Westin River, and W City Center.

Our trip is part eloping, part visiting friends on the northside (and maybe see the Cubs v Reds on the 4th), and part museum visiting. I was kind of looking for the place that does good recognition for Platinum as I try and show him that my time on the road pays off when we're together.

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: And now I just noticed it said O'Hare area, do I feel the fool.
It wasn't mentioned, but I like the Westin Michigan Ave very much. Rooms has been renovated in the last year or so, and there is now an Executive Lounge which opened in the last year or so as well. Staff is generally very pleasant. A little further from the museum area, but great location for Michigan Ave shopping or to head up to the Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.