FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/565731-left-march-31-2009-palace-hotel-copenhagen-master-thread.html)

CJ99 May 26, 2006 10:37 am

LEFT MARCH 31, 2009: Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Anyone stayed here (especially as a SPG)? Although I don't normally pay attention to TripAdvisor, some of the photos posted there make the Palace look like a real dump.

BigBopper Jun 5, 2006 12:19 am

Le Meridien Palace Hotel, Copenhagen [Master Thread]

Anyone have an recent experiences?

I travel to Copenhagen 4 or 5 times a year for business as my company is based in a little town about 90 minutes away. In July, however, I'll be taking my wife (to meet my boss and co-workers and so she can see the country) and my parents (40th wedding aniversary) with me. I ussually spend one night in coming and going in a little local hotel but would prefer something nicer for my family. Also, being as *wood just got this property as part of the Le Meridien deal, I don't know much about it other than it's undergoing renovations for the next 2 years.

Does anyone have any recent experiences here? Should I suck it up and pay for something nicer? The location is ok being near Tivoli Gardens but proximity to Nyhaven would also be a plus during the summer.

Thanks for your help.

GUWonder Jun 5, 2006 1:00 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper
Anyone have an recent experiences?

I travel to Copenhagen 4 or 5 times a year for business as my company is based in a little town about 90 minutes away. In July, however, I'll be taking my wife (to meet my boss and co-workers and so she can see the country) and my parents (40th wedding aniversary) with me. I ussually spend one night in coming and going in a little local hotel but would prefer something nicer for my family. Also, being as *wood just got this property as part of the Le Meridien deal, I don't know much about it other than it's undergoing renovations for the next 2 years.

Does anyone have any recent experiences here? Should I suck it up and pay for something nicer? The location is ok being near Tivoli Gardens but proximity to Nyhaven would also be a plus during the summer.

Thanks for your help.

The walk from Raadhuspladsen where the hotel is located to Nyhaven is not a long walk, but besides some rooms being aged, at least one word of warning about the Palace Hotel: on certain nights noise can be quite the issue especially for those various nights where (noisy) concerts and other festivities are held in Raadhuspladsen. I also don't recall A/C being present -- which is generally not much of an issue -- but it can get quite a bit stuffy at night and if you have to open the windows it could be a restless night. Hotels around Nyhaven are not necessarily better from a noise perspective as smashed bottles at night and other shouting and drunk screaming are not unheard of, quite literally, but around there the likelihood of concerts and other noisy things being in full swing is far less.

CJ99 Jun 7, 2006 3:33 pm

Not to discourage you, but I've seen almost nothing but bad reviews on tripadvisor. The candid photos are especially sobering.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_Zealand.html

If anyone has a first-hand review that can contradict all of this (especially as pertains to the elite-level stay) I'd be much obiged.

BigBopper Jun 7, 2006 9:37 pm

Ya know, for 7,000 points or $106 a night I'm willing to risk a bad experience. Afterall, it's one night there. The rest of the trip is spread about between fantastic rooms on the overnight ferry to/from Oslo and 5* bed and breakfast hotels that my boss has stayed (he splits his time between Copenhagen and Arhus). Besides, SOMEONE has to write a recent trip report for this board.

And if I complain, feel free to hit me with the "I told you so" bug. :D

Zhaunk Jun 7, 2006 10:31 pm

It's in a great location.

GUWonder Jun 8, 2006 12:37 am

Ya know, for 7,000 points or $106 a night I'm willing to risk a bad experience. Afterall, it's one night there. The rest of the trip is spread about between fantastic rooms on the overnight ferry to/from Oslo and 5* bed and breakfast hotels that my boss has stayed (he splits his time between Copenhagen and Arhus). Besides, SOMEONE has to write a recent trip report for this board.

And if I complain, feel free to hit me with the "I told you so" bug. :D

I prefer the Scandic Kramer in Malmo. It's still 10k HHonors points per night and the trains run all night between CPH and there. And it's generally more peaceful rest with no such nasty rooms as indicated in the "candid photo" section. :D

I'd be more than willing to give you 10k HHonors points for 7k SPG points. :D

sparty56 Jun 8, 2006 11:07 am

Just got back from Copenhagen last week

My wife and I stayed there for 1 night at the end of our trip a week or so ago. I only booked 1 night and for 7000 pts b/c of the BAD reviews on Tripadvisor. I'm not sure I've ever seen reviews that bad on TA for any other property ever. Considering $106 or 7k starpts you should be ok. The place is beautiful on the outside, the lobby is fine, but the rest of it is pretty run down. Given the location I'd suspect Starwood will renuvate it completely inside or sell it to someone who will. The location is fantastic. It's right next to Tivoli the theme park and Stroget the long pedestrian shopping street. The Hop on Hop off buses all pick up and drop off right out the front door. Those are a great way to see the city. ($25 for 2 days) There isn't any A/C, but a small fan is in the rooms we saw. The beds were acceptable. THE "Ice Maker" is on the 2nd floor. One? Really? Take the left elevator - it works fine. The one on the right got stuck between two floors when we were there. Not exactly high tech. You might want to ask for an 'Ambassador' room. We did and were upgraded no prob. They face Rahudspadsen which can be a bit noisy w/ the windows open, but have updated bathrooms and are a bit nicer.

All that having been said, we spent the previous 4 nights in the Marriott. It's a fantastic hotel w/ terrific beds and water views. It is a bit of a small walk (about 10 min) to the Train station/Tivoli/Stroget area. The train station is close to the Marriott and Palace Hotel and is only $4-6 ea. way to from the Airport and only about 12-15 min ride. Easy as pie to navigate. The rate we had at the Marriott was 956-1036 DKK per night w/ full breakfast buffett or about $170.

Good luck. Any other questions - I'll try to respond timely.

DCFFlyer Jun 8, 2006 11:42 am

Stayed there two years ago-well not quite. Checked in, went to my room and checked out. I had a really good rate and they had graciously upgraded me to an ambassadors suite but the place was in total disrepair.

Fortunately for me I had a card from one of the managers at the Copenhagen Marriott from a previous stay. I made a quick call from the lobby and by the time I taxied over to the Marriott, I had a sparkling room overlooking the canal on the club floor waiting for me.

The Palace is in a great location and it has potential but it needs an EXTENSIVE make over. The staff were very nice. As others have mentioned, it's in a very noisy location.

BigBopper Jun 8, 2006 6:23 pm

Brief update. I've been asked to attend a company meeting during the last week of June (no exact date set yet) in Copenhagen. The good news is I can try the hotel for a night without my wife. Also, I can give a report a month early.

One night for me on a business trip doesn't mean a thing. If it sucks, I don't come back. However, it's pretty important to me that my wife likes Copenhagen/Denmark as i have 4 years left on my contract with the parent company there.

GUWonder Jun 9, 2006 3:18 am

Brief update. I've been asked to attend a company meeting during the last week of June (no exact date set yet) in Copenhagen. The good news is I can try the hotel for a night without my wife. Also, I can give a report a month early.

One night for me on a business trip doesn't mean a thing. If it sucks, I don't come back. However, it's pretty important to me that my wife likes Copenhagen/Denmark as i have 4 years left on my contract with the parent company there.

If your wife is flying in from the US, you may want to have a way to communicate with/inform her that you have changed places. Fortunately, save the noise issue, you can probably make the determination about the rest of your stay well before she takes off.

BigBopper Jun 9, 2006 5:08 am

GU,
She flies with me on July 27th. We'll be together but I appreciate the heads up.

She's one of those types that doesn't want to know anything about where they're going until the day before. Right before bed I'll get "what are we going to see tomorrow". I guess in someways it's nice, innocent and childlike so she enjoys being surprised. In otherways, it's annoying as hell to someone like me who study's a place before I go.

Again, thanks to everyone for the input. As these trips in the next two months make 7 for me in the last year I feel I've gotten to know Copenhagen and Denmark pretty well. If anyone needs help with trip feel free to email me as I'd love to help.

BigBopper Jun 26, 2006 12:50 pm

So I had a bit of free time today in Copenhagen and I went to visit the hotel. Very nice on the outside. Great location and an interesting entranceway that was obviously grand at one time. Unfortunately, that time was LONG ago.

I went to the front desk and asked to see a manager figuring they don't get too many people walking in and asking to see a room. I was told there were no managers.....that should have been my first signal!

Eventually after explaining what I wanted, showing my PLT card and having them look up a reservation I have for next month the staff agreed to let me see a room. I was taken to a standard room at the back of the hotel over looking an alley. The desk agent told me that I booked a standard room and this is what I'd get. I asked about upgrades and she looked at me like we weren't speaking the same language. Finally I was told you get what you book, period.....if you want better you can pay more. BTW-my stay is an award stay so now I"m REALLY worried about treatment.

Now for the room itself. It was small. Slightly smaller than most of the other hotels I've stayed in during my trips here so size wasn't a major issues. There was a standard tub with shower like you'll find everywhere in Europe. THe "king" size bed was two singles pushed together with a pretty signigicant space between them.

The walls in both the hallways and the rooms were in desperate need of paintng. Carpets need replacement. The only internet access is in the lobby.

The positives are the history, location and character. The hotel might be nice in a few years after they finish renovations. However, I wouldn't count on it being done any time soon as they've only completed 2 rooms since Feb!

Overall, the hotel is below the Le Meridien (and Sheraton and Westin for that matter) standards but has very nice character. I would not reccomend it for a leisure stay of more than one or 2 nights and even that's shaky as they were finished with the days construction when i was there. It might not even be fit for one night. As for business travelers, without internet in the rooms I find it impractical.

BigBopper Jul 2, 2006 7:29 am

So at the last minute, I was forced to spend an extra night in Copenhagen. Thought it would be a great time to try the hotel so I'll continue my report. My appologies to those of you who now think I"m obsessed with this property. :D

Checkin was easy. No line and two people at the counter. I was told they had my plat number on file.....but nothing else. So I waited a few moments and then finally asked for an upgrade since it was clear one was not being offered. The clerk disappears to the back and talks to someone then comes back and says "i guess we can upgrade you this time". It was a bit humilitating but it's possible it was the language. I then asked for the PLT ammenity as I really enjoy the local ammenities on the long shot that it's something unique. I was told that I can have some fruit if i want and that no other options were possible. Seems a clear violation of the program, no?

So finally I take my luggage and so up the elevator. The key is on a HUGE bathtub drain stopper type thing so that you're forced to hand it to the front desk each time you leave (more on that later) which I find to be very outdated especially at a hotel that bills itself as 4*'s. The room that is written on the little piece of paper with my rate is in the back of the hotel, right next to a stack of bags of concrete mix. Luckily, the key didn't fit. They changed the room AFTER they printed the ticket so this was no longer my room. However, had I not asked for an upgrade I would have gotten a room right next to where the construction was!!!!!!!!

Finally, I get to the correct room. The "William Shakespeare Suite". Room was very big (by far biggest I've seen in Denmark) with two twin beds that pushed together to form a king. There was a sitting area with a table, sofa and 2 chairs. 2 armoire/closets. 2 dressers, small tv and a minibar. Bathroom had a full size shower/tub combo. View from the balcony was amazing as you felt that you can reach out and touch the hornblower statue and the bell tower at city hall. Down side was that, as mentioned earlier, it was VERY noisy but that did not bother me.

The only complaints about the room were how worn it was and cleanliness (kinda a big one, no?) The room was not, however as worn as the small room I had seen a few days earlier. There were stains in a few places on the carpet, but none on the furniture. The ironing board was gross with numerous splotches. The bathroom...disquisting. It had everyone's favorite...Pubes plastered around the shower and on the cieling. Obviously a poor job by housekeeping that really made the whole room feel dirty. Also, ashtrays everywhere in what they claim was a non smoking room. :rolleyes:

Finally, my last complaint was the key. I HATE the concept of turning in the key each time you leave. It's even worse in a hotel with 166 rooms, how the hell can the staff know who's whom? When I returned from dinner, I asked for the key for my room number. They looked at a computer and simply asked me "are you MrBigBopper?" I said yes and was handed the key. Is it me or is this the worst security you've ever heard of? All you have to do is say yes to a name they ask and you can steal everything in a room!

I would not advise anyone stay at this hotel.

wideawakeinatl Sep 17, 2006 7:50 am

Update

Just returned from CPH and stayed at this hotel. Check-in was pretty easy but I had to push for an upgrade as a Plat. They claimed that my original room was an upgrade but I wouldn't want to see the standard room if that's the case. My ambassador level room was large, but the furnishings were really showing their age. I had asked about the renovated rooms and was told that a pipe had burst flooding all of the renovated rooms and a near by theater.

This hotel was beautiful and certainly could be again, but it is badly in need of investment after so many sad years of neglect. Despite the good location, I would not recommend staying here until they finish the renovations. BTW- I was told that the renovations would not be complete for another year and a half... Spring 2008?!

CT-UK Mar 8, 2007 3:12 am

I staryed at this hotel last week and it us a dump with the exception of the renovate rooms. I as a Plat got a new room my colleague as a gold got one of the worst hotel rooms I have seen in a long time.

All the public areas need some serious updating which is happening slowly. The new room was very nice apart from it was at the back of the hotel and the noise at 5 in the morning was very bad. A annoying problems also was that the new LCD TV was so dam quiet even with the volume on max I could not hear it.

Overall great location but that is about it.

RAPC Mar 8, 2007 4:14 am

They are renovating the rooms on a wing by wing basis from speaking to one of the staff there. Basically if you want a good, renovated room then you need to get a superior room. Some execs have been done, but the classics are definitely awaiting refurbishment.

As a Gold I don't risk an upgrade and just pay for the superior room to avoid disappointment.

BigBopper Mar 8, 2007 8:23 am

As a Plt, I don't risk disappointment.....

I stay at the Hilton or the Admiral.

RAPC Mar 8, 2007 8:44 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 7364467)
As a Plt, I don't risk disappointment.....

I stay at the Hilton or the Admiral.

:D Well that is the alternative approach. In my case I need the nights to make PLT this year so can't escape to another hotel!

AArlington Jul 15, 2007 5:25 pm

I normally don't read much on Hotel reviews here on FT. I should in the future.

I just stayed at The Palace Hotel in Copenhagen this past weekend. My flight from the US got in early morning -- so I was at the hotel shortly after 0900. NO such luck with early check-in. I left my bags, and tried at 1100, 1300, and finally was able to get my room at 1500.

Had I not been in desparate need of a shower and some sleep I probably would have left and gone to a different hotel.

I was in the Ginger Rogers Suite on the Ambassodor level (first floor -- one level above ground). Big room but VERY hold. Bathroom was lousy -- tiny tub/shower, and the shower curtain kept drifting in to the already small tub.

Awesome location, I just hope you get a better room than I did.

I paid over $500 US for the two nights. Not sure how that happened (Exchange Rate?)... Defintely was high for what I got -- even for Denmark.

GUWonder Jul 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by AArlington (Post 8061426)
Awesome location, I just hope you get a better room than I did.

Until the entire hotel gets a good renovation, what you got is about the norm for "good" at this property -- a property which I generally avoid.

Originally Posted by AArlington
I paid over $500 US for the two nights. Not sure how that happened (Exchange Rate?)... Defintely was high for what I got -- even for Denmark.

1250-1400DKK is about the norm for Copenhagen hotel rooms during the busier times of the year/week. When it comes to hotels, Copenhagen is not a great city for value at the upper end -- and you would do better bidding on Priceline at $160 or less. ;)

AAEXP Jul 16, 2007 4:00 pm

Honestly, this is a VERY old hotel in a so-so location for Copenhagen today. Honestly, I think this property should be avoided if at all possible. I like SPG points, but not that much that I would stay here before it undergoes a full renovation.

sbtinme Jul 16, 2007 6:58 pm

I'm curious why the previous poster claimed that this hotel was in a so-so location -- that's not the opinion of many. Any futher comment?

In any case, the hotel says it's on track to complete total renovations by summer 2008. By its own admission, things had gotten downright bad. And, by all reports, the newly completed rooms are stellar.

Stay tuned.

BigBopper Jul 16, 2007 8:24 pm

It's a so so location in summer. Why? The same reason it's a good location. It's located on a main square. While the square is close to things like the Stroget, Tivoli Gardens and a short walk to the Round Tower and other sites it also gets large crowds when it's warm. Those large crowds are loud at night! With no air conditioning, you have no choice but to keep the window open. Also in the square (right outside the Ambassodor rooms) is the town clock which rings every 15 minutes from early morning until midnight.

Another downside about the location is the fact that large crowds leave big messes! I travel to Denmark regularly as my parent company is Danish. On my first trip there for an interview I remember thinking how clean, friendly and safe the city was. I took my wife and parents last July, stayed two nights at the Palace and all three complained the about the trash the following morning. Not to mention the 7 or 8 different drunks we saw urinating withing feet of the hotel!

Finally, the area directly next to the hotel has a 7-11, Ripleys Believe it or Not, Burger King and KFC. Not exactly classy!

I would also like to question the judgement of the renovations. They're starting with the least desireable wing (as told to me by the GM on my last stay). The last wing to be completed will be the area with the ambassador suites, lobby and restaurant. ... are you thinking???? Go from worst to best? Doesn't this punish your most loyal and highest paying customers?

On a positive note, I've heard from a colleague that the renovated rooms are fairly nice.

jcherney Jul 16, 2007 10:04 pm

If you are willing to spend a "bit" more for a wonderful hotel in an amazing location, check out the Hotel D'Angleterre. We spend a few days there in March, and it was great.

sfallsflyer Jul 17, 2007 3:11 am

The place stinks

I stayed there twice. The first time was ok. Old room but bearable.

The last time I stayed there in June was the pits. No upgrade. I was up on the top floor. No AC. The room was unbearably hot. I asked for a fan. They didn’t have any. I ended up sleeping on the “heavenly floor”.

I will never stay at this property again. I’m beginning to think my status as a Platinum for 4 years means nothing in Europe. Was treated pretty shabbily in Stockholm and Venice as well.

AAEXP Jul 17, 2007 5:22 am

Originally Posted by jcherney (Post 8069103)
If you are willing to spend a "bit" more for a wonderful hotel in an amazing location, check out the Hotel D'Angleterre. We spend a few days there in March, and it was great.

While the D'angleterre is in a nice area (the opposite end of the pedestrian throughrowfare STRØGET) on the Kongens Nytorv, it is an overrated "old box" that badly needs renovation. Some rooms are indeed very smal.

The problem is that Copenhagen does not have a real five-star hotel and hasn't had one mor decades. Your best bet for modern hotels are the Mariott and the Hilton (at the airport).

AAEXP Jul 17, 2007 5:24 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 8068633)
It's a so so location in summer. Why? The same reason it's a good location. It's located on a main square. While the square is close to things like the Stroget, Tivoli Gardens and a short walk to the Round Tower and other sites it also gets large crowds when it's warm. Those large crowds are loud at night! With no air conditioning, you have no choice but to keep the window open. Also in the square (right outside the Ambassodor rooms) is the town clock which rings every 15 minutes from early morning until midnight.

Another downside about the location is the fact that large crowds leave big messes! I travel to Denmark regularly as my parent company is Danish. On my first trip there for an interview I remember thinking how clean, friendly and safe the city was. I took my wife and parents last July, stayed two nights at the Palace and all three complained the about the trash the following morning. Not to mention the 7 or 8 different drunks we saw urinating withing feet of the hotel!

Finally, the area directly next to the hotel has a 7-11, Ripleys Believe it or Not, Burger King and KFC. Not exactly classy!

I would also like to question the judgement of the renovations. They're starting with the least desireable wing (as told to me by the GM on my last stay). The last wing to be completed will be the area with the ambassador suites, lobby and restaurant. ... are you thinking???? Go from worst to best? Doesn't this punish your most loyal and highest paying customers?

On a positive note, I've heard from a colleague that the renovated rooms are fairly nice.

I could not have said it better myself ^

sbtinme Jul 17, 2007 9:44 am

Alright, but for someone visiting CPH for, say 2 or 3 days, who was looking to get in some quality sightseeing, I still maintain that you'd be hard pressed to find a more centrally located hotel in the city. And, I'll add that the room renovations are total top-to-bottom renovations that are taking this hotel from ultra tired and worn out to exceptionally modern.

I also wonder why on earth the bottom rung rooms were renovated first and not the higher level ones, but I'm pleased to know that within a year, it will all be completed.

And, for the record, isn't central AC being added as these renovations take place?

If so, all these efforts would address:

- the tired rooms
- the noise levels due to open windows / no ac

Isn't that a huge step forward?!?

AAEXP Jul 17, 2007 9:57 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 8071480)
Alright

That the operative word here :)

, but for someone visiting CPH for, say 2 or 3 days, who was looking to get in some quality sightseeing, I still maintain that you'd be hard pressed to find a more centrally located hotel in the city.

If you mean SPG hotel, then yes. Otherwise there are many other equally well located hotels If you need a list let me know.

And, I'll add that the room renovations are total top-to-bottom renovations that are taking this hotel from ultra tired and worn out to exceptionally modern.

I also wonder why on earth the bottom rung rooms were renovated first and not the higher level ones, but I'm pleased to know that within a year, it will all be completed.

And, for the record, isn't central AC being added as these renovations take place?

If so, all these efforts would address:

- the tired rooms
- the noise levels due to open windows / no ac

Isn't that a huge step forward?!?

Yes of course, and this would even have me thinking of going back. But it still does not change the "so-so" location I spoke about and that others have so eloquently addressed for both its positive and negative sides

sbtinme Jul 17, 2007 10:20 am

Originally Posted by AAEXP (Post 8071572)
Otherwise there are many other equally well located hotels If you need a list let me know.

No, that's not helpful at all. I stated that one would be "hard pressed to find a more centrally located hotel in the city." I never said that this hotel had the very best location or an untoppable location. Since we're in the SPG forum of FT, I stand firmly behind my words.

I'm no apologist for this hotel and I'll be the first to echo the sentiments of others regarding the disappointing (and, I'd even say miserable) condition of the standard rooms in recent years -- shame on LeMeridien for not insisting on quality upgrades years ago!

However, now that those issues are being AGGRESSIVELY addressed, it seems a tad unfair to me to continue to slam this hotel. If one hasn't had the opportunity to see the renovated rooms, then your information is no longer current. No insult intended. Can't we all agree on that?!?

If not, then we'll just agree to disagree. I, for one, am delighted to see this grand old hotel finally getting its act together and spending some major coin to dress the place up. I find the location nearly ideal for my needs in CPH and, I'll also say that CPH is a city of unremarkable hotels, which paints a clearer picture.

In any case, I'm looking forward to my next stay here in 4 weeks and will report back my findings and observations.

BigBopper Jul 17, 2007 10:40 am

Is two years "aggressively" addresing a situation? Renovations started in Feb 06 and are scheduled to be completed at the end of 08. I don't call that aggresive and I have yet to see a renovation project for a hotel finish on time.

Secondly, it doesn't address the issues in the square outside the hotel.

To me the location is great in outside the summer months. Of course, Tivoli isn't open so it defeats part of the location argument.

Having said all the negatives, it's still the best *wood location in Copenhagen :)

sbtinme Jul 17, 2007 11:06 am

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 8071838)
Is two years "aggressively" addresing a situation?

Regardless of one's opinion on the timeline, the final results are impressive. One can't help but agree that the renovation itself is quite aggressive -- it's essentially carving out the whole interior of a hotel, room by room, and remaking it from nearly scratch. Additionally, they've taken a very old building and added a central air conditioning system that will be in place in early 2008.

Gutting the rooms to the structure level and starting over is my definition of an aggressive remodel.

http://palacehotel.dk/web/website.ph..._deluxe_en.htm

This is one of the oddest threads I've seen on FT in some time. Is it a full moon?!? I'm done with this thread. Continue bashing away.

AAEXP Jul 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 8071708)
No, that's not helpful at all. I stated that one would be "hard pressed to find a more centrally located hotel in the city." I never said that this hotel had the very best location or an untoppable location. Since we're in the SPG forum of FT, I stand firmly behind my words.

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BY "MORE CENTRALLY LOCATED"

I'm no apologist for this hotel and I'll be the first to echo the sentiments of others regarding the disappointing (and, I'd even say miserable) condition of the standard rooms in recent years -- shame on LeMeridien for not insisting on quality upgrades years ago!

However, now that those issues are being AGGRESSIVELY addressed, it seems a tad unfair to me to continue to slam this hotel. If one hasn't had the opportunity to see the renovated rooms, then your information is no longer current. No insult intended. Can't we all agree on that?!?

If not, then we'll just agree to disagree. I, for one, am delighted to see this grand old hotel finally getting its act together and spending some major coin to dress the place up. I find the location nearly ideal for my needs in CPH and, I'll also say that CPH is a city of unremarkable hotels

ANDREW HARPER COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER

, which paints a clearer picture.

In any case, I'm looking forward to my next stay here in 4 weeks and will report back my findings and observations.

THAT WILL BE VERY WELCOME, THANKS

AAEXP Jul 17, 2007 12:43 pm

^

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 8072009)
This is one of the oddest threads I've seen on FT in some time.

Then you haven't seen anything ;) . And BTW, no one is bashing anyone, just having a (lively) discussion based on your assertions.

kevinsac Aug 7, 2007 12:11 pm

First time I have read this thread, since we just started talking about a possible trip next spring. I was not even sure if Starwood was present in Denmark.

While I appreciate the "charm" of old-world European hotels, it sounds like this property was quite run down. While the location is tops, I'll follow the progression of the renovations before I book us and my extended family at that property.

I did notice on their web site "A/C from the beginning of 2008." By Jan 2008, 143 out of 161 should be done.

The Executive Suite has a 6 foot by 6 foot bathtub. Sounds like a welcoming party hosted by the liberal Danes! :D

Originally Posted by AArlington (Post 8061426)
My flight from the US got in early morning -- so I was at the hotel shortly after 0900. NO such luck with early check-in. I left my bags, and tried at 1100, 1300, and finally was able to get my room at 1500. Had I not been in desparate need of a shower and some sleep I probably would have left and gone to a different hotel.

You can't blame the hotel for that. If they were sold out the night before, then it's good business for them. That's always the rule for early arrivals.....if you want the room in the morning, book it the night before.

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 8071838)
Having said all the negatives, it's still the best *wood location in Copenhagen :)

;) The only Starwood in Denmark, I believe.

raunow Sep 17, 2007 5:26 am

I'll just drop an updated report from my first SPG Plat and overall very positive stay at the Palace Hotel.

As previous posters have reported, the hotel is currently undergoing a massive upgrade to 5* and once completed, will be re-branded "Le Meridien, The Palace Hotel". Upgrades a done one wing at a time, and the wings that are not updated look extremely tired. For a project description see http://www.palacehotel.dk.

I'm a new SPG Plat, just comped from HHonors, and since I've had a number of poor experiences with HHonors, I'm now trying to shift my business to Starwood whenever possible.

Having planned a night out with friends (I live in a Copenhagen suburb), and eager to try my new SPG Plat card, on friday night I checked if there were any decent offers for a room on saturday at The Palace. They offered a standard non-renovated room for dkr 960 (approx. USD 175 - quite low for Copenhagen), and considering that it would save me a dkr 400 taxi ride home, I booked it with the intention to check in in time to cancel if I couldn't get a decent upgrade.

On saturday, I arrived at the (non-renovated) reception at 1:45PM (Cancellation deadline is 2PM), wearing my best "I'd love an upgrade" smile. Flashing my mint-condition SPG Plat card, I asked if there was any chance to get an upgrade to a larger, renovated room. The receptionist checked, and said they'd already allocated a renovated Deluxe room to me. Having done my homework I'd of course checked that a renovated Suite was indeed available, and so I popped that most classic of FT question - "I saw you had an available renovated suite, would an upgrade into that be possible ?", and after a quick check the receptionist gave that even more classic FT answer - "Certainly, sir, I just upgraded you to the suite". And after a quick tick to choose the 500 points Platinum amenity, if was on my way.

I didn't see any bellboys in the reception arear, but there might have been (I only had a light bag). There was a seperate consierge desk, however.

The suite is in the (fully renovated) rear wing, facing a court-yard, and walking through the non-renovated rear wing, you could really appreciated how much this hotel needs renovation. However once you entered the rear wing, it was like a journey 100 years ahead in time, and entering the suite it was truly a world of difference.

The Deluxe suite is a one bedroom suite with a huge bathroom, a medium sized working/living room with a large walk-in closet, and a corridor connecting the rooms. The decor is very modern, there is wired internet (didn't try it) and two large flat-screen tv's (bedroom and living room). The most impressive feature, however, is the huge bathtub with room for two (as a previous poster mentioned a great feature to support the experience of scandinavian hospitality...). The suite is not huge by American standards, I'd say it matches your average US Jr. Suite in size (approx. 50 m2.), but it's the largest room I've ever stayed in in central Copenhagen.

The decor is kept in white with black carpets and tiles, tanned leather furniture and modern paintings. The bed was also huge and very comfortable with a thick and warm duvet the way we scandinavians like it. A bottle of some fancy italian water and cofee making equipment was complimentary. And the flowers in the living room and the red rose in the bathroom were fresh.

The suite is prepared for AirCon, but it won't be operational until the full renovation project is completed (not much of a problem in Copenhagen this time of year). The view from the suite into a court-yard is nothing to brag about, but I'd imagine the view from the rooms in front would be quite nice looking across the town hall square.

I shot some photos of the suite with my phone (hence the slight blur, I apologize):

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...el,-Copenhagen

All in all I was positively surprised having read the previous reviews, and once the renovation is complete I'd say the Palace becomes a pretty solid choice for a modern 5* in central Copenhagen. Even now, if they can keep up the Platinum treatment I experienced and you can land a fair price, it comes recommended. Just be prepared for some dust, noise and mixed decors in the hallways.

Dave89077 Sep 24, 2007 1:19 am

I am presently staying at the Palace hotel. I have to agree with most of the posts here. This hotel is old (built in the 1910) but has a lot of history. I am lucky enough to be in the newly refurished rooms (very nice--plasma TV, separate shower/tub, very comfortable bed, etc...). However, I got this room only because of Gold status. If I wasn't Gold or Plat, I would not want to stay in this hotel (the old rooms have not been updated in quite a while). At least not until mid 2008 when the construction is expected to be finished. Of course, when that happens the price will probably be raised so high that it won't necessarily be an attractive consideration. But I do like the location and the charm of the town hall clock.

kevinsac Dec 4, 2007 7:03 pm

Has anyone been in the non-renovated Executive Rooms? Supposedly the highest class of rooms, other than suites; overlooking Rådhuspladsen. I got a great deal on three of these rooms for next spring.....but unfortunately, they are among the last to be renovated.

fluegelwesen Dec 10, 2007 12:25 pm

as a Plat I always got an upgade to the renovated rooms ----- and I always refused and wanted an old room overlooking the Rådhuspladsen. I don´t care about a plasma TV, I usually go out in Copenhagen and do not stay in the room to watch TV. The old rooms at the Palace CPH are charming, sure somewhat torn but really charming. I hope they do not renovate these rooms or they loose a customer....