Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Closed Jan 2022] Sheraton Roma (Rome) , Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Closed Jan 2022] Sheraton Roma (Rome) , Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:53 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Eur 212 for the St. Regis seems like a pretty good deal!

I think for most people the distance from the St. Regis to the Termini station is very walkable. The Rome metro can be very crowded at times, too.

You will not need proof of reservation or any other ID to board the shuttle.

When I first found the shuttle bus, neuron's directions above gave me critical help, but even so, I think I can provide a little clarification. There are a lot of city buses in a major plaza directly in front of the main (north) entry of the Termini station. The Sheraton shuttle is not located among these buses. It's on the East side (on your left as you face the main entrance). But you can't just walk to the East side of the terminal by rounding a corner from the front. There's a wall that blocks the east side from the front. Instead, you have to enter the main entrance (heading south). Once inside, find the leftmost (east-most) thoroghfare heading south and follow it until you can turn left. This will lead you out the east side of the building. Upon exiting, turn left again (heading north, now) and walk about 100 meters or so to a spot where several buses are parked together against the sidewalk. The Sheraton shuttle is indeed blue, and can be found here.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Aug 4, 2005 at 1:02 pm
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Ah Roma - The Eternal City. My experience in this wonderful city is perhaps a bit too extensive, as I lived there and have been blessed to go on business on many occasions. I have stayed in small (no a/c) 2* hotels to nice 4* (with a/c) accomodations. But, I would never stay on the outskirts of the city. Why - because you miss out on the life experience of the city.

I would recommend staying as close to the "center" as possible. By center I mean the area around the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Piazza Venezia, Forum, Coloseum, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. The train station area is OK, but it can be a bit rough.

In and around the Pantheon can be quite expensive, but it is well worth it (especially if this may be your 1st and possibly your last visit to Roma). The area is wonderful and is the gateway to all the central Roman sites. It is traversed by a pedistrian walking area which runs from Piazza Navona to the Trevi Fountain (straight shot). At night, the piazza in front of the Pantheon is full of people - just wonderful.

Also, if going to the Vatican Museum, reserve your tickets on-line through their web site. You will get a time slot to enter and will entitle you to by-pass the 25 + minute line of folks waiting to get in to buy their tickets. Get the earliest slot you can get & take a Taxi. The museum entrance is NOT at the entrance to St. Peters, it is WAY FAR around the block (say a 15 minute walk). In August, which is the hottest month of the year in Roma, it can be a long trek.

Hope this helps. Ciao!
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:40 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for the specific directions, I'll follow them closely!
As for the Eur 212 rate, got it from the Starwood site. Under Specials, they are showing 20% off lowest rates until 9/2 at lots of international properties.
And yes, being in the center of Rome is very good, but as I've been there many times before and this is really just a quick quasi-mileage run on CO (using their sale BF fares). I'm going to Orvieto upon arrival for the day--staying at the St Regis, then the next day, given the expected heat (it will be mid Aug in Rome ) I figured somewhere outside the main city with a nice pool and where I can garner an additional SPG stay and with a nice executive lounge... would fit the bill.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:41 am

We stayed Nov 204 for 5 nights and really enjoyed the hotel. It did help that they gave us a large suite for Platinum with cash and points. The shuttle was fine for us. Have a good time.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 2:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Arrow Sheraton Roma [Rome] (Master Thread)

I just finished a 3 night cash & points stay at the Sheraton Roma, and I wanted to leave a few comments here.

Overall I was VERY impressed with the hotel, although I have a few gripes. Regardless, I would not hesitate to stay there again. Definitely a fantastic cash & points deal! Don't miss it!

The hotel layout is spotless, and the service is more on the westin/st. regis level than Sheraton. Incredible friendly and helpful staff, very well appointed lobby, and a very nice entry area/doorman. The bar downstairs is quite elegant, and on the Saturday evening when I was there they had a great singer/piano player and there were a lot of locals there dancing. Apparently it's a destination. The club, though bare bones, has all the essentials, and the rooms are typical Sheraton rooms with slightly nicer bathrooms. The staff was overtly friendly, and it made every experience better. Also, the hourly free transportation to the city center was helpful, but the fact that it's only a 5 minute walk to a Metro station was even nicer.

Gripes: Though the hotel is "reasonably" close to the EUR shopping district, it would be a hefty walk. Therefore you're kinda stranded there when it comes to eating and drinking, and the hotel clearly has realized that. The prices at the bar and restaurant are astronomically high. We sat down the night before we left and I had a bloody mary, my friend had a double spiced rum & coke, plus we each had a bottle of water, and it came to 38 Euros. Not kidding. Good food though, and well mixed drinks, but definitely not worth that price. Also, the hotel shuttle to the airport runs VERY infrequently, even though the web site says it runs on a "regular schedule" ... When we arrived in Rome we had the choice of waiting 2 hours for the next schedule or getting a 50 Euro ride on a taxi. On that note, *wood service came through, and they agreed that the web site is misleading, and said they are correcting it (along with offering me 2000 starpoints for my inconvenience ^ ^ ). The shuttle to/from the city is very convenient though.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel if you are in Rome and don't feel like coughing up the money/points for the Excelsior or the St. Regis.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the posting.

May I ask if breakfast is included in your Cash & Points rate?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Oops! Forgot to ask, did you get an automatic upgrade to a nicer room as a Gold Member? How were the room amenities? Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Have to agree with OP. The hotel is very nice (for a Sheraton), and the service staff are exceptional. Exec Lounge upstairs serves sparking wine and great cofee, along with snacks.
Shuttle to the airport that departs every hour is also convenient.
The hotel is far from city centre, however relatively close to metro station (walk to the metro from the hotel is rather obscure... under an underpass, almost walking on a street). Nothing to see around the hotel, however Vatican (if you are into that) is a metro ride away.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:52 pm

I have reservation at this hotel coming up in less than a month.
Can anyone confirm if the shuttle to the airport is still free?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by PCheng
Can anyone confirm if the shuttle to the airport is still free?
The shuttle is not free and hasn't been for over a year. The cost of the shuttle was fairly small though: 5 euros or less per person and children were free.

The shuttle into the center of Rome is free.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Addicted to Points
The shuttle is not free and hasn't been for over a year. The cost of the shuttle was fairly small though: 5 euros or less per person and children were free.

The shuttle into the center of Rome is free.
How frequently does the shuttle run into the center of Rome, and when is the last shuttle back to the hotel?
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
How frequently does the shuttle run into the center of Rome, and when is the last shuttle back to the hotel?
Every hour and the last run to the airport departs Termini at 11 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:15 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I agree with the OP's generally favorable impression of this hotel. I still can't put my finger on the reason, but the two times I stayed there I did have a noticeable feeling of well-being and comfort while I was there, and noticed a remarkable sense that they know what they're doing there. Didn't try the bar, but remember thinking that the restaurant's food would blow away most Sheraton restaurants (but of course, it's in Rome, and compared to real neighborhood restaurants in Rome, it's still a "hotel restaurant" in relative terms). I was not noticeably upgraded nor given lounge access as a Gold.

Despite my good experience there, when I return to Rome as a tourist, I will seriously consider options in the central city over the Sheraton, and if I can't find a good deal at the Westin or St. Regis, I'll probably sadly opt for a non-Starwood option. When I'm there to be IN Rome, I don't want to waste two hours a day getting to and from the hotel.

N.B.: If you intend to take the hotel shuttle from the city to the hotel before ever having taken it from the hotel into the city, search for another, older thread about Rome SPG hotels and find the threads detailing how to find the bus at the Termini rail station. It's not at all obvious unless you know how to find it from having previously been dropped off there. And if you're planning to initially arrive at the hotel by taking the metro, I'd think trying to get to the hotel from the metro station without already knowing the way might be a pretty frustrating task. I haven't actually tried it, but it seemed that way as I observed the route from the shuttle bus.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Here is some news from Italy regarding this shuttle:

As of April 1st our bus will no longer stop at Termini Station but will shorten the route and the final stop will be in Piazza Venezia/Via del Teatro Marcello (which is in very heart of the city), with runs every 90 minutes (instead of every hour) from the hotel and from the city center – the first departure from the hotel will be at 8.00 am and from the city center at 8.45 am, while the last departure from the hotel will be at 11.00pm and the last one from the center at 11.30 pm (this last run departs slightly earlier than the 90 minute schedule).

Please find here below the complete timetable and route:

Departures from the Hotel:

08.00 – 09.30 – 11.00 – 12.30 14.00 - 15.30 – 17.00 – 18.30 20.00 – 21.30 - 23.00

Route and bus stops:

HOTEL: Magliana Underground Station – Viale Europa (EUR District) PIAZZA VENEZIA (the exact stop is in nearby Via del Teatro Marcello)

Departures from the City Center:

08.45 – 10.15 – 11.45 – 13.15 14.45 - 16.15 – 17.45 – 19.15 20.45 – 22.15 - 23.30

Route and bus stops:

PIAZZA VENEZIA (Via del Teatro Marcello) – Viale Europa – Magliana Underground Station - HOTEL

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:30 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
When we arrived in Rome we had the choice of waiting 2 hours for the next schedule or getting a 50 Euro ride on a taxi.
I was taking taxi every day. It was about 15-18 EUR per trip. Not a change of course, but quite OK considering significant savings on a room rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.