Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Does anyone know of a way of getting to the Westin from the airport (MAD) other than Taxi?

Our son and his wife will be staying there in a month.
Without knowing anything about them, it's hard to recommend anything but a taxi. Only if they are the kind that would enjoy the challenge of navigating an unknown subway system in a country they maybe don't speak the language well along with toting luggage after a long transatlantic flight(s)? That would be fine for some, others not-so-much.

I try to travel as inexpensively as possible but when arriving in a new city, potentially exhausted, crabby and easily confused, paying a bit extra for a regulated taxi from the airport is money well spent. I can enjoy mastering the subway system later in the visit and even use it to get back to the airport once I have my bearings there. The price of the taxi is a flat 30 euros (total for both of them) so having to get two metro tickets does not provide that much savings.

If they are fortunate enough in money or points to be able to stay at the Westin Palace I'd say don't scrimp on this, let the arrival to this lovely hotel is be as seamless as possible. My 2 centavos.

I hope their trip is great, Madrid is wonderful.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
We took a shuttle bus a few blocks from the hotel back to the airport for 5 EUR each

I am sure you can do it the same way from the airport
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Mini Pictorial Review of Westin Palace, Madrid

The Westin Palace, Madrid

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Plaza de las Cortes, 7 Madrid, ES 28014

Mini Pictorial Review of Westin Palace, Madrid (8 Photos)

Overall

A quick review with some pictures of this very nice hotel. Spent a weekend here this month with two other FTers that we used as a base to explore Madrid. One FTer had higher status than I did (I’m a mere gold through Amex) and did receive a better upgrade with more space in the room and a nicer view (IIRC they looked out over the main entrance rather than across a road to another building like I did) which is only right as we had both booked entry level rooms.

I very much liked that you could use the stairs to get between levels and that they weren’t a hidden away fire exit style setup, so that it was easy to get between levels of the hotel (without luggage of course.

would consider returning and liked the hotel, the breakfast was the memorable item here not only due to the very nice domed sun lit seating area but also the quality and variety of food and drink, although every staff member was very friendly and helpful when we did interact.

Hope the review and pictures help others trying to decide where to stay in this city

Pictures:

King Bed:King Bed

2nd Floor plan

Entrance

Work Desk, TV

Built-In Wardrobes

Bathroom

Shower with hand wand

Decent sized Bathtub

Check In

I had used points and cash for one night and cash for the second night and at check in the friendly clerk (excellent service it has to be said) was happy to connect the two nights and provide a key card that would work throughout and including a late check out on the day of departure which was extended to 16:00 ^^ (A very welcome benefit and useful on this trip due to late departure flight timings

Dining

Breakfast was not included but offered at a discount at check in so I took that and would recommend t as the restaurant is the main attraction of this hotel if I’m honest besides location. The breakfast selection was very good with plenty of choice in all food group areas and included some lovely sweeter breads and outstanding hand made cappuccinos with the milk done just right (froth and creaminess). ^ Although busy, it was never really crowded (in Feb!) and service was good. I did notice that Spanish speakers did tend to get placed in the middle of the lovely stained glass cupola area with other nationals (non Spanish speaking) placed more on the outside but I am sure we could have asked to be moved if we were really concerned

We had drinks in the bar each evening (3 separate days) and I have to say, it was the only let down o the hotel. Very poor service and always having to get the attention of staff for any orders or replenishments. This was partly due to them also (seemingly) serving the restaurant drinks as well and I do not blame the staff as they were always extremely busy but it is no excuse for the hotel to not have more staff for serving in general. The drinks were good quality and doses and the nibbles we had also excellent if you were willing to wait for them.

The concierge recommended a tapas restaurant nearby to us for one evening and it turned out to be excellent with great food and an outstanding wine list which we had a new experience watching a bottle of 1980 wine being opened for us (by cutting the neck of the bottle off so the cork wouldn’t break up, etc…very interesting for this alone!)

Room

The bed was very nice and I had a great sleep but had to have the air conditioning on as the duvet and sheets are very thick so very warm and there was no way I could have slept without air con on…or without taking half the bed apart!

I liked that the bathroom had two sinks and plenty of space to put your items, together with a small separate loo area at the end of the bathroom (also a bidet for those that use one).

The bathtub was larger than a standard size and although not very deep it would have been good for those looking to take a bath. (not all places can one say that!)

Very centrally located in the city and within relatively easy walking distance to all the major sites.

Wetook a taxi both ways to the airport and it was a fixed rate of 30 Euros which was reasonable in our estimation with clean taxis and reasonable driving.

It was possible to walk to all the sites (a good walk though) that are recommended on visitor websites and not a problem to get to the palace (the real one :) ) and back again in a leisurely day. We also visited the Prado museum but hadn’t quite understood that it is only free at certain times of the day (late evening) so ended up paying anyway on a Sunday.

Mini Pictorial Review of Westin Palace, Madrid

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Palace, Madrid?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by burroheadnebula
Without knowing anything about them, it's hard to recommend anything but a taxi. Only if they are the kind that would enjoy the challenge of navigating an unknown subway system in a country they maybe don't speak the language well along with toting luggage after a long transatlantic flight(s)? That would be fine for some, others not-so-much.

If they are fortunate enough in money or points to be able to stay at the Westin Palace I'd say don't scrimp on this, let the arrival to this lovely hotel is be as seamless as possible. My 2 centavos.

I hope their trip is great, Madrid is wonderful.
Thanks very much for the sound advice. They did take a Taxi and it was for the best I think.

This issues was, I supplied the points for the hotel and their flights. They did not have a lot of centavos for the rest of the vacation.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying into Madrid and spending the night with a flight the next day to Casablanca.
The Principal or the Westin Palace??
They are both the same amount of points. Is one more convenient to the airport? Other thoughts.
Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:56 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by corky
Flying into Madrid and spending the night with a flight the next day to Casablanca.
The Principal or the Westin Palace??
They are both the same amount of points. Is one more convenient to the airport? Other thoughts.
Thanks!
If you have any SPG status be aware that The Principal is a Design Hotels property where the elite benefits offered are limited. So the Westin might be better in that case, especially if you are Platinum and want to take advantage of the Westin's excellent breakfast.

Locations are similar so not much advantage to either one there.

Other than that The Principal looks nice so could be worth a try, but the Westin is much nicer than your average Westin as well, so it definitely wouldn't be a bad choice.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
If you have any SPG status be aware that The Principal is a Design Hotels property where the elite benefits offered are limited. So the Westin might be better in that case, especially if you are Platinum and want to take advantage of the Westin's excellent breakfast.

Locations are similar so not much advantage to either one there.

Other than that The Principal looks nice so could be worth a try, but the Westin is much nicer than your average Westin as well, so it definitely wouldn't be a bad choice.
Thanks...no status.
The photos of the Westin Palace look spectacular. They both look pretty nice though. We just want to go into the city...have dinner & fly out in the morning. Looks like I can't go wrong with either unless someone comes on here and tells me differently.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:29 am

Be aware that the standard rooms at the Westin Madrid are pretty small and not that great. I peaked into one when I stayed here two weeks ago, and it did not look that great. I think many of them also have a inner location witg no view (which of course could be a good thing for light sleeprs as the traffic around the hotel can be lound). The breakfast at this hotel is super expensive (39 EUR per person I think). I have not stayed at the Principal, but it certainly looked posh when we walked by it. I liked the location of the Principal (closer to the shopping area), and would probably pick this without spg status IF the rate/point charge is the same.

Sidenote: Spectacular platinum treatment at the Westin - love how the same staff stay here year after year, and really responds to one's need. We inquired about a suite facing one of the quiet streets in the back - and got it during the busy Easter period!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heakja
Be aware that the standard rooms at the Westin Madrid are pretty small and not that great. I peaked into one when I stayed here two weeks ago, and it did not look that great. I think many of them also have a inner location witg no view (which of course could be a good thing for light sleeprs as the traffic around the hotel can be lound). The breakfast at this hotel is super expensive (39 EUR per person I think). I have not stayed at the Principal, but it certainly looked posh when we walked by it. I liked the location of the Principal (closer to the shopping area), and would probably pick this without spg status IF the rate/point charge is the same.

Sidenote: Spectacular platinum treatment at the Westin - love how the same staff stay here year after year, and really responds to one's need. We inquired about a suite facing one of the quiet streets in the back - and got it during the busy Easter period!
That's good info. Two women traveling and we need our space! And less noise. I will take a closer look at the Principal. ...both are category 5 and the same points.
Thx
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by heakja

That's surprising to me. I've spent more time in the Westin Palace than I ever want to again (a short term project turned long term probably at least 100 nights spread out over a year). I found my treatment as a platinum so inconsistent. Sometimes I'd get a buy one get one free drink coupon at the bar (which is incredibly overpriced) because I was platinum, the others I wouldn't. So many of the room upgrades were to crappy rooms. Only once did I ever get a room with a view. My colleagues all received the same mediocre treatment.

Be warned that those photos of the westin palace are *heavily* modified and don't really reflect reality. Rooms are very "old". Never stayed at the Principal, but it looks much more modern.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:20 pm

Which rooms at this hotel have been renovated?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by jmanirish
That's surprising to me. I've spent more time in the Westin Palace than I ever want to again (a short term project turned long term probably at least 100 nights spread out over a year). I found my treatment as a platinum so inconsistent. Sometimes I'd get a buy one get one free drink coupon at the bar (which is incredibly overpriced) because I was platinum, the others I wouldn't. So many of the room upgrades were to crappy rooms. Only once did I ever get a room with a view. My colleagues all received the same mediocre treatment.

Be warned that those photos of the westin palace are *heavily* modified and don't really reflect reality. Rooms are very "old". Never stayed at the Principal, but it looks much more modern.
Is there another SPG/Marriott hotel you'd recommend instead as a Plat?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is there another SPG/Marriott hotel you'd recommend instead as a Plat?
I've stayed at the Principal twice last year and although everyone is super duper friendly, my goodness the rooms are small! They don't do upgrades for Plats.

I would stay at the Westin in a heartbeat where the GM MR. Garcia is super friendly and accommodating. He even gave me a hand written xmas card and a small xmas gift on my last stay. Really nice guy he is. Plus got upgraded on a five day stay too!
Attached Images     
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:36 am

OK I am debating between this and the Marriott AC Palacio del Retiro. Partly with points and partly with a Delta vacation package (Not the best deal, but I have some vouchers from a cancelled trip) so I am assuming I will not be upgraded as I don't want to move rooms between the points and the vacation package.

Anyone done both and got any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
OK I am debating between this and the Marriott AC Palacio del Retiro. Partly with points and partly with a Delta vacation package (Not the best deal, but I have some vouchers from a cancelled trip) so I am assuming I will not be upgraded as I don't want to move rooms between the points and the vacation package.

Anyone done both and got any suggestions?

Thanks!
I haven't stayed at the Westin Palace though planning on trying it in May. I have stayed at the AC Palacio del Retiro a couple of times and enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was wonderful, the rooms I received were comfortable and large. The breakfast buffet was very good and unique. Walking distance to the metro and right next to the park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.