FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   St. Regis London (Lanesborough) for 35GBP a night! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/421244-st-regis-london-lanesborough-35gbp-night.html)

GUWonder Jul 11, 2005 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by TahitiBoy
My comment had nothing to do with anyone's profiting from this rate error. I spoke to Londoners' solidarity and steadfastness for which I have great respect. I was referring to the staff's earning respect for their actions.

When some of us read this:

Ironic how everyone was clamoring for the hotel to honor the obvious mistake rate. Now they're earning it from this tragedy.

some of us read your "they" in "they're earning it from this tragedy" to be a reference to everyone who booked this rate or wanted the hotel to honor this confirmed reservation; or, alternatively, some might have read your "they" as reference to the hotel. As there was no prior mention of the hotel staff until the third sentence, I am sure we can all understand where the misunderstanding came from.

In any event, my apologies to you and my applause for the good people of London and those who will soon visit London.

TahitiBoy Jul 12, 2005 11:51 am

GUWonder,

I appreciate your addendum, and I apologize for causing anyone to think I was referring to anyone but the hotel's staff.

In hindsight, I could have been clearer. Safe travels to all.

CT-UK Jul 13, 2005 4:27 am

Has anybody else completed a stay yet? If so what did you think?

vivrant Jul 13, 2005 6:46 am

I have an upcoming stay scheduled for tomorrow July, 14th. If I do not cancel it and the hotel charges me for one night (35GBP) are they effectively binding themseleves into the contract at that point?

beachfan Jul 13, 2005 5:59 pm

I'm sure they would just claim computer error and refund you the no show penalty.

GUWonder Jul 14, 2005 6:09 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm sure they would just claim computer error and refund you the no show penalty.

That wouldn't surprise me, but that would be quite a ridiculous claim in my opinion. They would have to say the process works that way normally -- unless lying were their option.

GUWonder Jul 14, 2005 6:21 am

Originally Posted by vivrant
I have an upcoming stay scheduled for tomorrow July, 14th. If I do not cancel it and the hotel charges me for one night (35GBP) are they effectively binding themseleves into the contract at that point?

I don't think they really care about contract/contract law. I wouldn't be surprised if they presumed that they could nudge enough people into "voluntarily" cancelling their confirmed booking in return for a booking under new terms and that the rest will not pursue any legal/regulatory remedy.

beachfan Jul 14, 2005 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That wouldn't surprise me, but that would be quite a ridiculous claim in my opinion. They would have to say the process works that way normally -- unless lying were their option.

Sorry, but I follow. They've already sent certified errors claiming error.

GUWonder Jul 14, 2005 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Sorry, but I follow. They've already sent certified errors claiming error.

:D ROTFLOL :D ^^

Amicus Jul 14, 2005 11:25 pm

Just completed a three night stay last weekend.
Our room was quite pleasant, and the beds are super-comfortable.
Staff was friendly, and the butlers were just terrific. It was a little awkward at first, didn't want to ring the call button if we needed something, but by the third day of our stay, the spouse was getting a little too accustomed to the whole idea! :p
We were surprised to get the champagne on arrival, but didn't receive, nor did we demand, any of the little "extras" that supposedly came with the 35 GBP rate, as we were quite happy to have the room at that rate, given the luxury of the hotel and its central location.
I would recommend asking for a room on the first or second floors, as our room on the third floor had just a small window, and also a rather odd arrangement . . . a few stairs up from the entry hall of our room into the bedroom /sitting area.

sts603 Jul 16, 2005 10:52 am

:) Checked in 7/14 - room for traveling companion who flew in from US was ready on arrival at 10:45 a.m. She enjoyed the Mercedes transfer (to be reimbursed by Orbitz). The staff has been wonderful. Have had no need to use the butler but breakfast every day has been wonderful. The servicing of the room (2x per day) does beat every other hotel in the world IMHO and the gadgetry (while intimidating at first) is quite useful. Heading down for drinks in the bar in a little while....overall a wonderful stay which would be worth the 350 GBP if I had it to spend at the moment.

TahitiBoy Jul 16, 2005 11:55 am

You know, this is just such a wonderful hotel, exquisite in every way. I took my aunt and thought she was gonna keel over she was so impressed.

It's just a shame that the pricing fiasco has left so many with a bad taste in their mouths...

sts603 Jul 17, 2005 11:14 am

It's just a shame that the pricing fiasco has left so many with a bad taste in their mouths...

I agree - a complementary bottle of champagne (the second - I ordered one on arrival to be reimbursed by Orbitz) arrived this afternoon since we are checking out tomorrow. The servicing of the rooms does beat every hotel in the world in my opinion and at breakfast this morning I had my coffee taken away and instantly replaced with a new cup and new hot coffee b/c it must have looked cool since I had slowed down drinking it. I love my coffee hot and was thrilled to see that. :) :)

wobbly wings Aug 6, 2005 5:47 am

Many thanks to sts603 again. Excellent hotel and service ^ ^

NYEsq Aug 8, 2005 9:11 am

I just had a great weekend stay at the hotel. Bottle of champagne was chilling as we got there and we got a continental breakfast for free after asking them to remove the charge from our bill. All in all, a phenomenal hotel that I will be back to!

dhoward Aug 8, 2005 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by NYEsq
I just had a great weekend stay at the hotel. Bottle of champagne was chilling as we got there and we got a continental breakfast for free after asking them to remove the charge from our bill. All in all, a phenomenal hotel that I will be back to!

how did that work? did they apologise and just remove it or did you have to argue?

NYEsq Aug 9, 2005 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by dhoward
how did that work? did they apologise and just remove it or did you have to argue?

All I did was mention that our rate included continental breakfast. Otherwise, it it is 39 quid for 2. They took it right off - no arguing. I think they probably just didn't want a scene, but I'm not complaining.

Always Flyin Aug 9, 2005 9:34 pm

$34.00 per person for a continental breakfast? :td:

Ha, ha, ha, ho, ho, ho.

cxn Sep 11, 2005 3:50 am

Great Hotel, Great Stay

My wife and I were able to take advantage of the 3 night offer from the Lanesborough Hotel in London.

I would just like to say, this is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. I even prefer it over the St. Regis NY as the St. Regis seems busier as well as more crowded. The staff was very accommodating to our needs. They went above and beyond with their service towards my wife and me.

Here are the positives about this hotel.

Large Room, at least ours was.
*ALL* movies included.
Internet Access included.
Daily Fruit included
Water, both Still and Sparkling included
Very Friendly Staff, never had a problem working with them.
Nice Hotel, recently renovated.
Small, quaint.

Only negative:

No Starpoints to earn or redeem.

This would be a great hotel for others to try out. Even if the starpoints were a cat 6 like Bora Bora.

Will have to go back in the future. When you start to add all the additional benfifits, like Internet Access, Free Movies, Water, etc, the price doesn’t look like it is much higher then it other hotels in London. Plus, if you know the Park Lane Hotel, this Hotel is much better in quality, maybe 3 – 4 times higher quality.

beachfan Sep 11, 2005 3:24 pm

Anyone successful in getting the reservation transferred to later in the year? I was not.

gleff Sep 12, 2005 5:51 am

I can't IMAGINE that they would offer such flexibility...

GUWonder Sep 12, 2005 7:45 am

Originally Posted by gleff
I can't IMAGINE that they would offer such flexibility...

Nor can I.

CT-UK Oct 23, 2005 3:13 am

Sorry to dig this thread up again but I was thinking that some more people must have stayed on thsi rate by now, How did you all get on?

wobbly wings Oct 23, 2005 7:20 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK
Sorry to dig this thread up again but I was thinking that some more people must have stayed on thsi rate by now, How did you all get on?

You'll see quite a few descriptions in the earlier posts on this thread....
It was great for all of us I think! ^ ^ ^ :p

GUWonder Oct 23, 2005 10:09 am

Mine went off without a hitch.

But I heard something about a certain room in the 200s that had major bathtub issues and having to deal with it being repaired on two or three out of three nights.

Foady Oct 23, 2005 3:06 pm

Mine was great! If I have the disposable income, I'd stay here again (unless another "mistake" comes online beforehand!)

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 11:31 am

Bringing back an old thread....

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 4765189)
Mine went off without a hitch.

But I heard something about a certain room in the 200s that had major bathtub issues and having to deal with it being repaired on two or three out of three nights.

Did that bathtub ever get fixed and what was the hotel management's response to that issue and others on these rates?

What systematic fixes has Starwood or the hotel management put in place so rate "errors" like this or far more obvious errors don't happen in the future? Going by the LeMeridien Thailand rate debacle, apparently nothing robust enough to prevent such rate errors has been put into effect between April 2005 and today. :eek: Why not?

AZ Travels the World Dec 7, 2006 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 6809642)
. . . Going by the LeMeridien Thailand rate debacle, apparently nothing robust enough to prevent such rate errors has been put into effect between April 2005 and today. :eek: Why not?

Perhaps, but given your enthusiastic participation in both, it would seem their lack of response suits your true desires quite nicely. ;)

(You're certainly far from alone here on FT. :))

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 6810281)
Perhaps, but given your enthusiastic participation in both, it would seem their lack of response suits your true desires quite nicely. ;)

(You're certainly far from alone here on FT. :))

:D ^^ ROTFLOL :D ^^

The Thailand debacle I didn't expect to be honored. The Lanesborough one I did. :D