Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cala di Volpe (Sardinia) Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

These hotels are Aga Khan territory and part of one of the most exclusive and expensive stretch of land and beach in Europe (or anywhere, really).

One thing worth checking is to try to score a BRG.

We love Sardinia, it is truly beautiful, but due to the cost of the SPG properties we just rented a decent apartment or holiday house for a fraction of the room rate.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We are considering Sardinia as part of a 2014 trip. Starwood has four properties and Hilton has one, so I decided to start there. First, it's tricky to find these hotels on spg.com. You need to know that Sardinia is part of Italy. Ideally, you know to search on Porto Cervo but likely not. Trust me, the 3 Starwood agents to whom I spoke today don't know this information.

I saw the thorough review by mecabq today on the Cervo Hotel, and knew it wasn't for me. S/he said he would try the Hotel Pitrizza or the Cala di Volpe another time. Off I went to research. The Hotel Pitrizza is sold out for June 2014. The Cala di Volpe is available for both cash or points. But oh, my, I don't understand the points requred to stay here.

All rooms are suites here, thus requiring double point redemption. This is a level 7 hotel, so according to the SPG chart, 35K before doubling and 70K after. Yet I was quoted 140K points per night. I was told this does not include meals. The agent said that the hotel has limited participation in SPG and that there are hotels in Greece equally as expensive in points. Uh - ok? The cash cost is $977/735 euros for a basic room (suite) with partial sea view.
San Diego 1K, Please do not give up on The Hotel Cervo. I am there right now and this is an outstanding property.The staff and management are outstanding. I have been to over a dozen top hotels in Italy. The Rome Cavaerlli was my favorite until now, and the Hotel Cervo, has now moved to the top of my list. More details to follow.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by 360guy
San Diego 1K, Please do not give up on The Hotel Cervo. I am there right now and this is an outstanding property.The staff and management are outstanding. I have been to over a dozen top hotels in Italy. The Rome Cavaerlli was my favorite until now, and the Hotel Cervo, has now moved to the top of my list. More details to follow.
Thank you. I'll definitely pay attention to your updates on the Hotel Cervo thread.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
But oh, my, I don't understand the points requred to stay here.

All rooms are suites here, thus requiring double point redemption. This is a level 7 hotel, so according to the SPG chart, 35K before doubling and 70K after. Yet I was quoted 140K points per night. I was told this does not include meals. The agent said that the hotel has limited participation in SPG and that there are hotels in Greece equally as expensive in points. Uh - ok? The cash cost is $977/735 euros for a basic room (suite) with partial sea view.
The fine print below has been on the points chart for a bit - there's basically a category of properties that are above and beyond the regular requirements (emphasis mine)...

Free Night Awards at the following locations require higher Starpoint redemption amounts either because the hotel does not have standard rooms or the standard rooms it offers have a mandatory Full Board requirement in peak seasons: Sheraton Denarau Villas, Nadi, Fiji; Canyon Suites at The Phoenician; Scottsdale, Arizona; St. Regis Resort Bora Bora, and Le Meridien Bora Bora, Bora Bora, French Polynesia; The St. Regis Bali Resort, Bali, Indonesia; W Retreat & Spa - Maldives, Maldives; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, Florida; The Westin Resort and Spa, Playa Conchal, Playa Conchal, Costa Rica; Mystique, Santorini, Greece; Pine Cliff Residences, Albuferia, Portugal; and Cala Di Volpe, Hotel Pitrizza, and Hotel Romazzino, Porto Cervo, Italy; W Retreat Koh Samui, Koh Samui, Thailand; and Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

The minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the Sheraton Denarau Villas, which is a category 3 hotel, is 14,000 Starpoints; Pine Cliff Residences and Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, which are Category 6 hotels, require 40,000 to 100,000 Starpoints; and the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the other listed properties, which are all Category 7 properties, ranges from 60,000 to 140,000 Starpoints depending on the hotel, its category, its room types, the time of year, and/or its mandatory requirements. Redemptions at these hotels must be booked through your local customer contact center.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Has anyone had any recent experiences at this hotel, and in particular, any recent experiences a a Platinum member?
Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
any solid info on how the Costa Smerelda properties will price later this year? Regular Cat 7s will be on a big sale (60k marriott points, which is 20k SPG).
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

think no announcement re "following locations require higher Starpoint redemption amounts"

like al maha, even though they used dubai as an example listing many categories there
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These trio properties, Cala di Volpe, Pitrizza and Romazzino, offer paid rates with breakfasts only on web now, in addition to half and full board. Does anyone know if they offer a la carte restaurant menu or is it still prix fixe only?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by TerryK
These trio properties, Cala di Volpe, Pitrizza and Romazzino, offer paid rates with breakfasts only on web now, in addition to half and full board. Does anyone know if they offer a la carte restaurant menu or is it still prix fixe only?
I was at Cala di Volpe in September. Dinner in the restaurant was prix fixe only. I can't speak to lunch, as both breakfast and dinner provided a lot of food.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone has email contact for Cala di Volpe?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Any updates on this property for recent stays?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cala di Volpe is the glitzy James Bond resort.

It faces a harbor with constant traffic of yachts, some of them are tenders for super yachts anchored just offshore. Property was fully booked last week and It was tough to find valet as driveway was blocked by RR Ghost, Lambo Aventador and Maserati Ghibli. I did not see Bond's Lotus, however. Lobby was always busy with armed security who I suppose was for jeweler with ice cube sized diamonds on display. BTW, the purported Suite A5 had been converted to Matsuhisa of Nobu fame. Great dinner with wonderful view.^

Note property doesn't have a beach onsite. It provides comp shuttle boat to private beach 10 minutes away. I found that a little inconvenient as shuttle ends around 630. No sunset stroll on beach.

I did enjoy my stay at Cala di Volpe although I prefer Romazzino, for family atmosphere, or Pitrizza, for its seclusion.

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 19, 2019 at 5:19 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
@TerryK...thanks for the update and the closing summation comparing all three of the properties in the area.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I’m at Cala di Volpe now, going to Romazzino the day after tomorrow. Didn’t have time for all three hotels.
It’s our first time in Sardinia, haven’t seen much except the hotel yet (arrived today).
Where would you recommend to go for dinner?
There’s so much great food in Italy, I don’t feel like paying the ridiculous prices the hotel charges (and probably many places in Porto Cervo as well?).
Are there any places you can recommend? Don’t mind driving a bit.
Ideally somewhere by the sea with authentic, good food. Doesn’t have to be luxurious, just not plastic chairs and package holiday tourists.
Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
..........Where would you recommend to go for dinner?
There’s so much great food in Italy, I don’t feel like paying the ridiculous prices the hotel charges (and probably many places in Porto Cervo as well?).
Are there any places you can recommend? Don’t mind driving a bit.
Ideally somewhere by the sea with authentic, good food. Doesn’t have to be luxurious, just not plastic chairs and package holiday tourists.
Thanks!

Porto Cervo has lots of restaurants. Prices are high but much better than Cala di Volpe. It is a nice purpose built village by a marina and I enjoyed some meals there. You can bill back to your room at Cala di Volpe if you dine at Cervo Hotel.

You can also drive 20 minutes to Baja Sardinia where there are lots of restaurants/pizzerias right by promenade. I don't know how authentic they are but prices are much more reasonable and promenade is lovely. I actually wouldn't mind staying in Baja Sardinia for a few days if I had had extra time. But, wait, there are no Marriott properties in Baja Sardinia. No, cannot stay in hotels without getting elite night credit.
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.