Search

"A lot of us are under a lot of stress. . ."

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:45 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
"A lot of us are under a lot of stress. . ."

A direct quote from the supervisor at Platinum Concierge tonight - Mr. H when I expressed that I was less than satisfied with the customer service rep who answered the phone and was unable to help me with a simple reservation this evening. He said "well, you need to understand we're very upset here since so many of our friends are being let go due to all of the changes that *wood is undergoing. . " Excuse me?

I am upset that *wood can't seem to get it together for their CUSTOMERS. Although I empathize that this is a difficult time, I expect since I am PAYING for a service that the problems that are internal are left at the door and that the customer service rep provides service. I only call if I'm unable to use the website (in this case, the website would not allow me to book a room - saying that the property was unavailable). I called, there was a room available and yet the CSR couldn't book it or be pleasant. To be told by the supervisor that they're "under a great deal of stress" just boggles my mind.

Wow. . this is just amazing. Since I work in the software industry and have been involved with lots of layoffs during the last five years (personally as well as my coworkers), I was never allowed to tell a customer that our excuse for not providing great service to them was because we were under a lot of stress and our friends were being laid off. . .

Am I just missing something here? If this is how *wood handles customers who are their most loyal, I think that they're going to have larger problems in the near future (massive running away from the chain).
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by ldsant
Am I just missing something here? If this is how *wood handles customers who are their most loyal, I think that they're going to have larger problems in the near future (massive running away from the chain).

Why is it that at the slightest hint of "problems" people on FlyerTalk immediately predict "massive running away from the chain/airline/brand"?

Anyway, please understand that people in the service industry are people too. Sometimes their stress levels are overwhelming (a lot of times, actually, when dealing with overbearing customers who feel entitled to being able to give them crap, though I am not saying that the op is such a person at all. It's just that these people exist, unfortunately, and often they are ones who've never worked in a position where they had to deal with other people).

Although, after re-reading your post ldsant, I gotta admit you have a point. It's stupid for a supervisor to use stress as an excuse for an employee's shortcomings. (In this case rudeness?)

---

I would like to know what these issues are that *wood is having that are forcing them to let people go in customer service? Doesn't it seem like absorbing a whole chain (Le Meridien) and constantly adding new hotels would require more not less?

Last edited by notsosmart; Jun 1, 2004 at 6:44 pm
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's never good business to share with the customer or use internal strife as an excuse or even reason for poor customer service, IMHO.

Management should be able to address a customer's concerns and complaints without revealing internal "dirty laundry" and/or using it as the reason/excuse.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:24 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Maybe there poor customer service skills is why they are being let go? Maybe they should be like a radio station. When you are fired, you are immediately walked out and all the locks are changed. So no chance of any on-air repercusions.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:35 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by PremEx
It's never good business to share with the customer or use internal strife as an excuse or even reason for poor customer service, IMHO.

Management should be able to address a customer's concerns and complaints without revealing internal "dirty laundry" and/or using it as the reason/excuse.
BINGO! Per usual, PremEx, you said it better than I could. This is my point. ^

Also, as to notsosmart, I am in the customer service side of the software industry. . .every day I deal with customers who ask me, "how do I use a mouse again?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.