FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   What is SPG "Preferred Plus" Status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/318300-what-spg-preferred-plus-status.html)

Lefty Apr 1, 2006 7:39 am

The Golds and Plats also seem to get targeted for more promos than the Preferred Plus members also. When I was Preferred Plus, I never got a single promo offer. I've been Gold for a few weeks now, and have already gotten two promo offers from SPG.

parioli Mar 17, 2007 11:03 am

New to SPG: unable to figure out the Preferred and Preferred Plus benefits?

Plus how they relate to Silver, Gold, etc. What is better becoming Preferred Plus or Gold or Platinum?

tjk1976 Mar 17, 2007 12:04 pm

I'm not sure of this, but I think it's like Gold, minus the 50% points bonus. I believe Preferred Plus is issed on a targetted basis and through corporate progams. I stand to be corrected though. ;)

ldsant Mar 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Honestly, not a whole lot of benefits at this level.

Status (by "hierarchy low-->high) is as follows:
Preferred Preferred Plus Gold Platinum VIP (by invitation only)

Mhttoanywhere Jul 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Starwood Preferred Plus

I just got a new card with Starwood Preferred Plus on it. I had signed up for the amex card with SPG but wondered what the Plus gives you? I have only seen the regular preferred card and the gold card.

GBGFlyer Jul 20, 2007 5:51 pm

That means that AMEX screwed up and didn't use your current Plat status. It happened to me to and I verified that they had the correct number - had to call amex to reset the points for transactions then SPG to get the bonus merged into the new account.

DCBob Jul 21, 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by GBGFlyer (Post 8093115)
That means that AMEX screwed up and didn't use your current Plat status. It happened to me to and I verified that they had the correct number - had to call amex to reset the points for transactions then SPG to get the bonus merged into the new account.

The OP has an SPG Amex Card, not the Amex Platinum Card. SPG Amex gives you Preferred Plus status, not Platinum status. So Amex did NOT screw up.

onfo Jul 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Benefits?

Hi,

I am Preferred Guest Plus through SPG (presumably due to AMEX). I am staying at the Singapore Sheraton next week and am wondering what benefits (if any) I can expect. I am staying on a C+P award and am interested in taking advantage of the lounge there. If I understand correctly, I should receive, assuming an SPG room is available, access complimentary? Is that correct?

The posts in this thread seem to be a bit dated, so any recent thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Turnip17 Jul 28, 2009 11:07 pm

I've been gold for years (always seem to miss Platinum by a few).

I just got the Amex SPG card to get mroe points. Not my SPG account says"preferred" and how Many nights to reach Gold, whereas before it said how many nights to reach platinum. i wonder if getting the card downgraded me Pref Plus or if my year is up for Gold and I'm just re-earning it again?

mahasamatman Jul 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by onfo (Post 12139228)
If I understand correctly, I should receive, assuming an SPG room is available, access complimentary?

You will receive an upgrade if an appropriate room is available, but no guarantee you'll get on the lounge floor. Very few of my Gold upgrades have gotten us onto the lounge floor (in fact, I believe only one).

Starwood Lurker II Jul 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by onfo (Post 12139228)
Hi,

I am Preferred Guest Plus through SPG (presumably due to AMEX). I am staying at the Singapore Sheraton next week and am wondering what benefits (if any) I can expect. I am staying on a C+P award and am interested in taking advantage of the lounge there. If I understand correctly, I should receive, assuming an SPG room is available, access complimentary? Is that correct?

The posts in this thread seem to be a bit dated, so any recent thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi onfo,

If you are a Preferred Plus Member, here are some of the related benefits:

1. Guaranteed 4PM late check out(subject to avail at Resorts and Conference locations)
2. Upgrade to Preferred Room(Room will be of same category) based upon availability at check in

No elite bonus, no complimentary health club access, no complimentary lounge access unless the room or rate you have booked includes such a benefit.

I believe there is a main thread somewhere you can always refer to. Might need to use the search function.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Starwood Lurker II Jul 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by GaryMF (Post 12139341)
I've been gold for years (always seem to miss Platinum by a few).

I just got the Amex SPG card to get mroe points. Not my SPG account says"preferred" and how Many nights to reach Gold, whereas before it said how many nights to reach platinum. i wonder if getting the card downgraded me Pref Plus or if my year is up for Gold and I'm just re-earning it again?

Hi GaryMF,

Let me break your questions before answering them.

how Many nights to reach Gold

You need to credit at least 10 eligible stays or 25 nights for a Gold level.

i wonder if getting the card downgraded me Pref Plus or if my year is up for Gold and I'm just re-earning it again?

If you are previously a Gold member and you are not able to maintain this level for the following year but you are still holding a SPG Amex card, your membership will remain as Preferred Plus.

[email protected]

Turnip17 Jul 28, 2009 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II (Post 12139416)
Hi GaryMF,

Let me break your questions before answering them.

how Many nights to reach Gold

You need to credit at least 10 eligible stays or 25 nights for a Gold level.

i wonder if getting the card downgraded me Pref Plus or if my year is up for Gold and I'm just re-earning it again?

If you are previously a Gold member and you are not able to maintain this level for the following year but you are still holding a SPG Amex card, your membership will remain as Preferred Plus.

[email protected]

Thank you. i knew that i just noticed that my account status used to say # of nights to Plat and now it says # of nights to maintain gold. seemed like it happened when I got the Card. It does still say I'm gold though

Starwood Lurker II Jul 28, 2009 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by GaryMF (Post 12139430)
Thank you. i knew that i just noticed that my account status used to say # of nights to Plat and now it says # of nights to maintain gold. seemed like it happened when I got the Card. It does still say I'm gold though

Hi GaryMF,

Not sure if everyone is seeing the same thing but using a test account I was given, when I logged onto my online account via spg.com, under the "Account Summary" tab, it shows:

Preferred Guest(<----your current membership level)
Your progress to Gold:
10 Stay(s) to go
[Bar Chart]10
Or 25 Nights(s) to go
[Bar Chart]25

[email protected]

zjacoby Aug 7, 2009 8:25 pm

Starwood Preferred Guest Plus - What is it?

Dear FT,

I have the SPG AMEX (personal) and used to be SPG Gold but now I am just Starwood Preferred but according to the AMEX site which is listed below...I am Starwood Preferred Guest Plus and get free room upgrades when available b/c I carry the card. Is this still true? I did not see this on the SPG site and how would I prove it to the front desk of a hotel if I just have my preferred card? Please advise. Thanks in advance. (I did a search for this but was very confused - sorry)
https://www217.americanexpress.com/c...ARDS/158/1/0/1