Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Here's some preliminary info. We checked in last night and had been upgraded from superior to deluxe room despite a sell out. Breakfast is free even though we're on an award... I'm not sure if this is because I'm Platinum but I get the impression it's unrelated. Amenity choices were points, a glass of champagne (Louis Roederer, and they gave us two without me asking) or Japanese sweets.

To get here using the complimentary MK Taxi was easy. We landed at ITM and took the limousine bus to Kyoto station (¥1310 each, bus stops 5 and 15, buy tickets at the kiosks before boarding). After the very last left turn where the bus drops you off, keep walking in the same direction for another half block to the Ibis Styles hotel and find the MK Taxi line. The driver took a second to know the hotel because it's brand new but on the way he called and presumably confirmed the hotel pays because he didn't ask us to (I said nothing about it so it seems the word was well spread to the drivers). More to follow with pictures on another day.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:14 pm

As promised, here's a mini-report of our recent stay.

The main entrance

The Suiran is a perfect example of Japanese luxury, that is to say, elegantly understated. The property is designed in traditional Japanese fashion, with modern, high end amenities thoughtfully incorporated into the space (hello, heated toilet). The grounds has several historic buildings which have been refurbished, a traditional rock garden, and a beautiful cherry blossom tree in the courtyard.

One of the restaurants

Interior courtyard

The front desk

Consistent with other Japanese traits is the exceptional hospitality we encountered. We were acknowledged by each and every staff member, including the maids who would give us a very deep bow. The concierge was exceptionally helpful to us, and managed to secure us a reservation at a very popular restaurant in the area even after they were officially booked. The customer service at the Suiran was most certainly some of the best we've ever had.

The room we stayed at was on the first floor, which meant it came with its own private outdoor onsen. On our king sized futon were two traditional yukatas (Japanese-style robes) for lounging around in. The bathroom was very well appointed with one of those fabulous Japanese toilets which will steal your heart forever. The main living area was covered in a tatami mat and had low table with two chairs for sitting. There was also a private deck, and mini garden to enjoy.

Japanese robes

The room

View of the onsen from the bathroom

The toilet!

Private deck

For those interested in exploring Kyoto's extensive temples, you cannot pick a better location. The hotel is actually on the Tenryu-ji temple grounds and literally steps from an enchanting bamboo forest. Just a few blocks over near the train station are tons of food stalls and souvenir shops. There are also several quality restaurants nearby. We recommend the Shorian, which specializes in tofu preparations.

We have very few critiques of the property. Only minor complaints about the room were a lack of temperature controls for the onsen, which was quite hot, and a lack of decent storage for our luggage. It's a bit of a shame to get this beautiful Japanese minimalist room and then immediately clutter it up with all your clothing and bags. We thought this property was definitely worth the points, given the location and the high-end experience, however, it might be hard to convince us to pay rack rate, given that the the property is pretty limited in its amenities; there is no pool or bar and the gym is just a few stationary bikes. But if you're someone looking for a luxury stay in one of Kyoto's most interesting and beautiful areas, then you will find a lot of value in the Suiran.

A few shots of the surrounding area:

Last edited by djiboutiette; Apr 5, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djiboutiette
As promised, here's a mini-report of our recent stay
thank you very much for the 1st review of this hotel.

your review makes me want to go there as soon as I can.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 5, 2015 at 12:31 pm Reason: No need to requote the whole post and all the images
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:58 pm

Thumbs up Beautiful!

thank you for sharing the pictures. Hoping to go next year
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Complimentary MK Taxi?

Originally Posted by djibouti
Here's some preliminary info. We checked in last night and had been upgraded from superior to deluxe room despite a sell out. Breakfast is free even though we're on an award... I'm not sure if this is because I'm Platinum but I get the impression it's unrelated. Amenity choices were points, a glass of champagne (Louis Roederer, and they gave us two without me asking) or Japanese sweets.

To get here using the complimentary MK Taxi was easy. We landed at ITM and took the limousine bus to Kyoto station (¥1310 each, bus stops 5 and 15, buy tickets at the kiosks before boarding). After the very last left turn where the bus drops you off, keep walking in the same direction for another half block to the Ibis Styles hotel and find the MK Taxi line. The driver took a second to know the hotel because it's brand new but on the way he called and presumably confirmed the hotel pays because he didn't ask us to (I said nothing about it so it seems the word was well spread to the drivers). More to follow with pictures on another day.
Was inspired by your post to add one night next week at Suiran instead of the Ritz Carlton. How does one go about gettign the MK Taxi? Will they pick up from the Ritz instead of the station?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Beautiful photos, djiboutiette! Thanks.
I'll see if I agree with you in that it's worth the points/award but not the rack rate, but probably I will
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:18 am
Original Poster

[NEW] Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan - Opened March 23, 2015

To reserve the taxi you can email the concierge. Calling the front desk should get you the info. Their English is good.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by djibouti
To reserve the taxi you can email the concierge. Calling the front desk should get you the info. Their English is good.
Thanks, I sent an email to info [at] suirankyoto [dot] com as listed on their website.

Last edited by rj123456; Apr 8, 2015 at 2:28 am
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by rj123456
Thanks, I sent an email to [email protected] as listed on their website.
Better change the email format so they don't get spammed by spambots.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

[NEW] Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan - Opened March 23, 2015

I wouldn't count on that one. Try concierge @ instead.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat , SPG Plat/Lifetime Gold, HiltonHonors, United Milage Plus
What a great mini-review! I am even more excited for the trip now. Thanks so much for this!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:35 am

Thanks, I sent an email to info [at] suirankyoto [dot] com as listed on their website.
I don't think that's the concierge email; I tried sending an email to that address, and received no response. If you look at the website, that email is under the employment section-- there is no proper conceirge email listed anywhere I could find. Djibouti's suggestion is a good one, although that email construction isn't standard across Luxury Collection properties. I'm going to try it anyway, and let you know.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:39 am

I can confirm that concierge [at] suirantokyo does not work.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:06 pm

info [at] works

Originally Posted by cderekg72
I can confirm that concierge [at] suirantokyo does not work.
I got a very nice response from info with a map and directions on how to use their taxi pick up service at Kyoto station. Since I don't actually know my travel plans on that day they asked to me to call them 4 hours ahead.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:20 pm

I got a very nice response from info with a map and directions on how to use their taxi pick up service at Kyoto station. Since I don't actually know my travel plans on that day they asked to me to call them 4 hours ahead.
That's good to know-- I still haven't heard back when I emailed, and I have a reservation. I'll try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.