Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Can we choose which account number to keep? It seems to me that I can only do account merger from Marriott side (thus keeping current Marriott number). Can't even sign in if I do it the other way round.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by LuisHK
Can we choose which account number to keep? It seems to me that I can only do account merger from Marriott side (thus keeping current Marriott number). Can't even sign in if I do it the other way round.
Yes you can but you will need your new SPG account number to do so. The two accounts are both just Marriott accounts now so it doesn't matter which one you choose for the future.

But, really, I would wait until the SPG migration is done properly and you can log into both accounts and they are both correct before you attempt to merge them.

They are clearly having IT issues with the data migration from SPG to Marriott and so I would leave them to it and let them fix the basic data first.
LuisHK likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CPRich
My observation is that if you want to view both of your accounts to compare data, you should use different browsers.

if you log into SPG in one tab, open a new tab and log into MR, then refresh the original SPG tab, it will now show your MR information.

Web coding circa 2005. I did this for 25+ years - I'd fire my team if they coded this.
And here I thought you were an eternal starwood defender! Welcome to the whiners club I'm jk of course. It is ridiculous and I agree with you 100%.

Here's what I've noticed:

There are two ways to log in. One via your old Starwood account and one via Marriott. You do not need to use two browsers or clear your cache. You do need to log on to Starwood via: https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?...spg&reset=true
and for Marriott use marriott.com without the verbiage after the ?. And be sure to uncheck the radio button for "remember me".

1- When you attempt to log in via your Starwood acct you will be provided a new Starwood #. Use this going forward to log on. You will then see your Starwood acct details, stays, points converted 3x, current years status & nights. It will initially look like the Marriott site - overlaid in the old Starwood purple. However, you may be missing the last 45 days or so of nights/stays.
2- When you log onto Marriott you will log on as always. You will see your Marriott stays, nights, & status. This website will be blue.

I have not merged my account yet. So for me,
1- The stays are not merged. That is, I must log on to each separate website to see my stays on either side.
2- My annual nights are not merged. So I see annual nights towards 2019 status split (as they were pre Aug-18). There is still a known glitch and so on the Starwood side the nights are incorrect. Again, this is known by Starwood and they show a banner saying they are working on this.
3- The old grid that allowed us to compare up to 4 rates at a time still exists on the Starwood side. It is more hidden but it is there. It requires one to complete a search and then click "view rates", where you will be taken to an option to choose a room and then one can "change rates" at the top. In fact, when one goes to choose a room - the website URL then switches back to starwoodhotels.com/... Sadly the technology was not carried over to Marriott side hotels - so the functionality still only exists at Starwood.

I assume all this goes away after one "merges accounts". That is, one would hope that after such merger (as chosen by us), we'll then see a merged account with all our stays, combined lifetime nights and status, and combined points, etc.

Personally I will not merge until they have corrected my account (by fixing the known glitch). Once I see that everything looks good separately, then I will chance a merge. However since the compare rates technology only exists on the Starwood side, I may wait until the last minute before merging so I can continue to take advantage of it for as long as possible.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Yes you can but you will need your new SPG account number to do so. The two accounts are both just Marriott accounts now so it doesn't matter which one you choose for the future.

But, really, I would wait until the SPG migration is done properly and you can log into both accounts and they are both correct before you attempt to merge them.

They are clearly having IT issues with the data migration from SPG to Marriott and so I would leave them to it and let them fix the basic data first.
I'd like to combine (mostly good reports in the master thread) but it doesn't benefit me at this point...I am going to try and hold off til my SPG data is correct (stay within the last month not posted, LT total incorrectly double counting nights this year as noted upthread, no SPG dollar spend showing, etc.)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by susiesan
I am trying to log into SPG with my old number and password. Nothing. I log into my Marriott account with that number, nothing. All I see is my name. I have no points, no upcoming trips. There is nothing I can see to merge the accounts which I had already done. I will email Marriott customer service and see if they can figure it out. In the meantime, should I call the Sheraton San Juan to confirm that I still have a valid reservation? Calling Marriott is useless as I am on hold for over 15 minutes and don't have time to wait.
No, I don't think so. You might have linked your accounts before the merge of the programs, but as has been said all along we will be told when we can combine our accounts. I've been cautioning people to hold off doing the combination to see what issues come up and there have been many red flags indicating it's too early. So unless you absolutely have to have the higher status now for an upcoming stay, hold off.

As for your upcoming reservation, yes, call the property as that is the only authority I would believe. Just because it shows online does not mean it's been sent to the property.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
Just changed the password on the Marriott account. Still empty, still no reservations showing. This is really fouled up. I'm glad I'm not going anywhere soon that involves either a Marriott or Starwood property.
It is now the next day, Tuesday @9:38 am. Both my Marriott and SPG accounts are empty. I cannot log into the SPG account at all. it is unacceptable that the IT work needed for combining the programs has not been done already. This is the response I got yesterday to my email to Marriott:

I apologize for the inconveniences you have encountered. On August 18, 2018, we began the process of updating our systems to launch our new loyalty program. Currently, we are working to solve a few known account issues impacting some of our members.
In addition, the ability to combine your SPG and Rewards accounts into one is not yet available. Please check status.marriott.com regularly for further updates. We thank you for your patience during this time
Also, can you send a copy of your bill to [email protected]? If you do not have It please call 1-888-625-4988.

Not sure what bill they are talking about so I am sending a copy of my upcoming reward reservation in San Juan.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Something funny about two of these stats. Who can guess?

Your lifetime statistics

Nights: 949

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 28

Years as Gold or Platinum: 23

Years as Platinum: 14
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by stimpy
Something funny about two of these stats. Who can guess?

Your lifetime statistics

Nights: 949

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 28

Years as Gold or Platinum: 23

Years as Platinum: 14
This is from your SPG dashboard and I take it you haven't yet merged your accounts, yes?

Starwood has/had no Silver status but I notice that updated SPG app now shows 'Years as Silver elite or higher' and nothing else.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The part about 28 and 23 years is what I was referring to. I think the website programming has some funny logic.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by stimpy
The part about 28 and 23 years is what I was referring to. I think the website programming has some funny logic.
Well Starwood was founded in 1980 so if you were there at the very beginning

But yeah, the SPG program itself was created in 1999 IIRC so getting 20+ years looks like a stretch.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could Starwood have kept track of elite status from other prior programs that merged into SPG?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Has anyone seen cash+points rates online at all? I have 2 stays I booked on C+P at old SPG rates and new Marriott ones are cheaper, so I want to call in and ask for the refund of the points portion. But I don't see any C+P rates at these properties for my dates. Do you think they can still do it?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you configure FlyerTalk to show threads in 15-post pages (the default classic format), this thread's URL might telling more truth than the text form of this thread does, because it currently says:

official-announcement-spg-marriott-programs-merge-august-18th-25

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 21, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you configure FlyerTalk to show thread in 15-post pages (the default classic format), this thread's URL might telling more truth than the text form of this thread does, because it currently says:

official-announcement-spg-marriott-programs-merge-august-18th-25

That is, year 2025.

(Amirite?)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yyznomad
That is, year 2025.

(Amirite?)
I read it as a one-week period. That seems about right to get things mostly working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.