Wiki Posts
Search

Starriot Ambassador level

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by yosithezet
The A,bassador perk increased my loyalty and was a mechanism that enabled me to increase my stays.
"enabled" or "caused"? Was there something prohibiting you from additional stays that an Ambassador eliminated?

I used my Ambassador 2-3 times. I've moved back and forth with and without one since the program started and can't really recall much of a difference. I worte to her instead of the PLT desk/property manager, but it's just a different email address. Most of the time I got back "I contacted the property and the manager said....", which just meant an extra communication step.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:05 pm

In my opinon i think people that stay 100 nights plus and spend 200k are mainly business travelers! I can easily get the 100 nights but the 20K is tough only being allowed $200 per stay. Average hotel stay is $175. I may have to push for 114 now!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
With this 100 nights AND $20k spending, I guess more people will be unhappy as there will be many who can achieve one but not the other.

100 nights with spending below $20k
and
people who spends in excess of $20k but short on nights count

perhaps marriot can amend the requirements to higher nights count Or higher spending limit

say 200 nights or $25k spending

Marriott determine at which $ level a member become "worthy" for an ambassador.

then count the night from that value based on the average of low-mid tier of their offering

Or .... just make ambassador service a separate tier
purely based on $ only

just like singapore airlines krisflyer and PPS club
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I'm not sure any hotel chain should help "guests who stray the most." For starters, it could cause employers and significant others to insist that such guests stay elsewhere. Even though reaslistically some hotel employees do facilitate the sex trade, it shouldn't be corporate policy or part of a published benefit for some special elite level regardless of how "stray" might be defined or measured.
Funny. Gotta love how the new editor makes it impossible to see what you are typing when posting. I meant stay of course.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm fairly confident they evaluated different spend levels. No 20K isn't a lot when you look at high end properties. Most regular business travelers don't stay at high end properties. We stay at the Sheraton, Marriott, etc., near where our clients are, per an expense policy.

If they wanted a program with a limited number of investment bankers, they could have made it 40K. But they didn't.

And 100 nights being "simple" to qualify for shows an FT disconnect with the real world.
I’m not so sure they did a outside in evaluation. Seems like businesses these days are beholden to social media and the backlash of the massses. Just read this entire forum for evidence.

In in any case, I like some of the ideas thrown out here:
1. Ambassador based on spend (invite only). Some current feedback on this forum suggest people aren’t finding them useful anyway. That’s my point, make it truly something that can make a difference for its most profitable customers. I find them useful for exception situations; and especially at the high end properties where service matters. Of course the run of the mill sheraton and Westin’s can’t really be influenced by an ambassador. They have hundreds of elites per week to satisfy
2. Extra SNAs after 25 additional nights
3. Lounge/spa access

and sorry if I missed this, but only room charges will qualify for the spend requirement? Most of its profitable customers also vacation at SPG properties and Food/Bev charges can be large spend.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I had 125+ nights last year with 33-35k spend. I probably used my ambassador on just 3-4 times. It saved me a few minutes calling in to add a guest to the res and asked her to push upgrades on two trips (that I didn't get).

So what was it that your ambassador did that allowed you to increase your stays?
Im going on my second year with an ambassador. Thus far mine has done nothing for me the normal platinum help desk folk wouldnt already do. The one time I needed a bit of special help, I got it quicker through reaching out to William here on flyertalk than going through my ambassador. I've gotten some 'ambassador' welcome gifts, like fruit, wine and dessert, but on two occasions (that I caught) the property tried billing me for these amenities. I asked a week ago for my ambassador to reach out to a property to guarantee I can get provisioned for adjoining rooms with a connecting door as I'll be bringing my son's friend along with on a trip we take and dont want a minor I'm responsible for getting blocked into a room half a mile away in a sprawling property - and she still hasnt gotten back to me yet.

Abassador status isnt all that it's cracked up to be.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by stant
Im going on my second year with an ambassador. Thus far mine has done nothing for me the normal platinum help desk folk wouldnt already do. The one time I needed a bit of special help, I got it quicker through reaching out to William here on flyertalk than going through my ambassador. I've gotten some 'ambassador' welcome gifts, like fruit, wine and dessert, but on two occasions (that I caught) the property tried billing me for these amenities. I asked a week ago for my ambassador to reach out to a property to guarantee I can get provisioned for adjoining rooms with a connecting door as I'll be bringing my son's friend along with on a trip we take and dont want a minor I'm responsible for getting blocked into a room half a mile away in a sprawling property - and she still hasnt gotten back to me yet.

Abassador status isnt all that it's cracked up to be.
That's my sense. For example, a son was arriving first and I wanted him to be able to check in with my credit card. I emailed my ambassador and she sent me the credit card form to fill out and told me where to fax it. I certainly saved me 15 minutes from calling the hotel, getting the form, and looking numbers up. I did that once or twice in 2017 so I've saved 30 minutes. Plus, I asked my ambassador to ping the hotel where I was heading with a GF a couple of times. She told me she had contacted them, that they were fairly busy, and would do what they could. I didn't get the upgrades.

A lot of folks on here rave about their ambassador as if it is a huge perk so I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for.

And I wish they had given the 100 night level a completely different name! I don't think the FD people know the levels now so don't understand how they will distinguish between a Plat Premier with Ambassador vs. a Plat.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:28 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

A lot of folks on here rave about their ambassador as if it is a huge perk so I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for.
you should be looking for a new Ambassador. I had my girlfriend arriving at properties ahead of me and my Ambassador arranged for her to be given access to the room before I arrived with no need for a credit card, just registered as a guest. Two different countries. One resort and one city StR.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by yosithezet

you should be looking for a new Ambassador. I had my girlfriend arriving at properties ahead of me and my Ambassador arranged for her to be given access to the room before I arrived with no need for a credit card, just registered as a guest. Two different countries. One resort and one city StR.
if it's a prepaid stay then there should be absolutely no problem doing this - even for a spg preferred member. just call the property and ask to have the person added to the booking. once it's paid for they dont really care who checks in and stays in the room.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by parkums
Anyone else feel that MR/SPG missed an opportunity to differentiate Its highest level? I feel they should have raised the bar on Plat Amabassador (or just call it Ambassador level). 100 nt and 40k spend (invitation only). Something to truly separate its highest spenders (a la United Global services). 20k isn’t that much when you think of the avg nightly rate for some of the high end properties.
they definitely missed an opportunity & are going to alienate a number of members who stay well over 100 nights with spg but can't reach the $20k requirement....

taking my example....i end up spending over 150 nights a year in hotels....the majority of this has always been with spg but my room rates have almost always been around the $150 average rate....the reason for this is because most of the places i travel to have hotels in this price range....& i'm talking about good hotels like st. regis, luxury collection & high end westins....i do well over 100 nights a year with spg but won't reach the $20k spend limit....

now i have 8 people who work directly under me at my firm....6 of them travel extensively with me & are all in the 100+ nights per year range....now with this new $20k requirement, i really have no incentive to stay over 75 nights a year with starriott....in fact, i don't have much incentive to stay over 50 nights, given the difference between 50 & 75 nights is negligible....so in effect, since my team always stays where i stay, starriott is potentially losing out on at least 50+ nights per guest from my team (an average of about 350 - 400 nights a year)....this is a drop in the bucket for them but i am sure there are tons of others like me who can easily achieve the 100 night threshold but will simply stop after their 50th or 75th night....combine those potential 50+ nights they are losing out on from each one of these members & all of a sudden its a huge loss for them....

so once again, they have definitely missed an opportunity here....but not quite the way you imagine it....

Last edited by Keyser; Apr 23, 2018 at 4:10 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:40 am

Keyser

This is my situation exactly. Roughly 150 nights in places where the going rate for hotels is 125-170 per night. It seems that switching to a night based program with another chain is a better bet for our staff
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by brittex
Keyser

This is my situation exactly. Roughly 150 nights in places where the going rate for hotels is 125-170 per night. It seems that switching to a night based program with another chain is a better bet for our staff
i agree....my team travels much more than others at my firm but over 50% of the firm's strength also has a considerable amount of travel throughout the year....so we are talking about another 50+ people doing between 25 - 75 nights a year....they all turn to me for travel advice since i'm considered the local points & miles expert at my firm & they stay at places i recommend....having already made ltp with spg, i'll be ltp (or ltpp, if marriott decides to do the right thing) in the new program....if its ltp that that gives me zero incentive to stay 50+ nights with starriott....if its ltpp then i'll probably end up doing 75 nights in order to get the 10 suite nights....but there is no reason for me to stay any further nights with them....this means that 50% of my business (& in turn my firm's business) will now go to another chain....
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Keyser
i agree....my team travels much more than others at my firm but over 50% of the firm's strength also has a considerable amount of travel throughout the year....so we are talking about another 50+ people doing between 25 - 75 nights a year....they all turn to me for travel advice since i'm considered the local points & miles expert at my firm & they stay at places i recommend....having already made ltp with spg, i'll be ltp (or ltpp, if marriott decides to do the right thing) in the new program....if its ltp that that gives me zero incentive to stay 50+ nights with starriott....if its ltpp then i'll probably end up doing 75 nights in order to get the 10 suite nights....but there is no reason for me to stay any further nights with them....this means that 50% of my business (& in turn my firm's business) will now go to another chain....
Well ... I'm not sure the $20,000 is as difficult as it sounds. I travel on a mix of rates, including government rates and in countries and cities where room rates are reasonable, and its unusual to pay $200 a night for me. That being said, I spent $30-35k on Marriott/SPG properties last year. Certainly some of that was taxes but it also included the occasional holiday in which kicking in food, bar, spa, certainly exceeded an average of $200 per night.

As for the Ambassador ...I'm still trying to figure out why its a significant value to me.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well ... I'm not sure the $20,000 is as difficult as it sounds. I travel on a mix of rates, including government rates and in countries and cities where room rates are reasonable, and its unusual to pay $200 a night for me. That being said, I spent $30-35k on Marriott/SPG properties last year. Certainly some of that was taxes but it also included the occasional holiday in which kicking in food, bar, spa, certainly exceeded an average of $200 per night.

As for the Ambassador ...I'm still trying to figure out why its a significant value to me.
its extremely difficult when you regularly travel to cities where the best spg / marriott hotels are in the $100 - $150 range....i had a stay at a luxury collection property earlier this month where the rate was under $100 a night....another at a high end westin which was $125 a night....today i checked into a sheraton for a 8 night stay & the rate is $160 a night....at this rate i'll need 150+ nights to get to $20k spend for the year....
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
its extremely difficult when you regularly travel to cities where the best spg / marriott hotels are in the $100 - $150 range....i had a stay at a luxury collection property earlier this month where the rate was under $100 a night....another at a high end westin which was $125 a night....today i checked into a sheraton for a 8 night stay & the rate is $160 a night....at this rate i'll need 150+ nights to get to $20k spend for the year....
Perhaps. I generally book hotels in the $100-150 range for work but the food and vacations throw me over the top.

I like a concrete level as much as the next Fter, but that being said, I'm not sure I understand the big benefit as I've had an ambassador - albeit as a charter member on the Marriott side -- for a couple of years and the I've only used my ambassador a handful of times for things that saved me from calling the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.