Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel declines Your24 but willing to upsell late check-out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel declines Your24 but willing to upsell late check-out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If one looks under MSP's handle, she's PlatMinus too (unless she hasn't updated under her handle) But yeah I don't see the need for the phrase. SPG has 3 levels of Plat. If one meets even the lowest level, they're still a Plat.

To the OP, while the property couldn't do the 7pm, that they extended to 5pm (hour past 4pm) was nice given they didn't have to do so.

Cheers.
But @MSPeconomist just pointed out one reason to refer to the different levels of Platinum in SPG based on some moniker like "PlatMinus" or "Plat50", etc. Your24 isn't even available to those of us who status matched over from Marriott to SPG even though in Marriott we stay 100+ nights a year.

So, there is a need. Personally I don't care what it's called and I completely understand what @MSPeconomist means by PlatMinus and take no offense to it. Maybe someone should open a new poll on FT on what to call the lowest level of SPG Plat and that's what we all use.

As for Your24...this would have come in handy many times for me in the past but alas I have no access to it and only just learned of it yesterday. Maybe when the programs merge after 2018 we'll have access to this as Platinums. My guess? They either come up with a higher level than Plat that is published or they keep the benefit only for Marriott's equivalent of PP. Just a hunch.

-RM
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
PLT Minus -- Should We or Shouldn't We??

Can we stop with the hypersensitivity to possibly hurting someone's feelings? Yes, of course we don't want to hurt someone intentionally; but that's not what we're talking about here. Lots of things are said, on FT and elsewhere, to which some might take offense. But do we really want that as the standard? We shouldn't say something if it's possible that someone might be offended inadvertently?

PLT- is the lowest level of PLT. (I will likely be one next year.) Are people here genuinely offended by the term? Are we all so conscious of being more or less elite than the next person? What difference does it make? Nearly all of us are anonymous on FT anyway.

Enough!
KENNECTED and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
As far as the OP, he has earned the Your24 benefit which entitles him to check in/check out over any 24 hour period, as long as the hotel has availability. The fact that hotel has availability for a fee but not as a Your24 benefit is just plain wrong. I don't see why he/she should be grateful for free 5 pm check out if 7 pm check out is available for a fee. Either it's available for 7 pm check-out or it isn't. (I have Your24 and it is an amazing benefit when the hotel co-operates.)
But the availability is 5 days out, Your24 isn't like SNA's where it is a 5 day out situation. The hotel feels that come the actual day it will be 100% occupied, or at least its suites will be. Being central London this is quite possible and to ask a hotel to give up the chance of selling that suite at a high rate or if they believe they will be 100% occupancy using the suite to sell a lower category room seems unfair.

It would in my opinion be completely different if the hotel was saying you can pay a little more to keep the room until 7PM but actually what they have said is you need to pay for the room for the night.

In regards offering the 5PM checkout this seems reasonable as they will no doubt be working on the principal that some people will arrive after 6/7PM to checkin, but the chances they will arrive after 8/9PM is slim. I certainly would not find it acceptable to turn up to the hotel to checkin and be told actually your room wont be ready until 8:30PM as we gave someone a 7PM checkout!

The hotel should not lose a nights revenue by giving a Your24 request and to expect it to do so is in my opinion unfair.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Can we stop with the hypersensitivity to possibly hurting someone's feelings? Yes, of course we don't want to hurt someone intentionally; but that's not what we're talking about here. Lots of things are said, on FT and elsewhere, to which some might take offense. But do we really want that as the standard? We shouldn't say something if it's possible that someone might be offended inadvertently?

PLT- is the lowest level of PLT. (I will likely be one next year.) Are people here genuinely offended by the term? Are we all so conscious of being more or less elite than the next person? What difference does it make? Nearly all of us are anonymous on FT anyway.

Enough!
I have to say while I don't see an offence in it I think the term PLT- is misleading and incorrect as there simply isnt such a thing. SPG50,75,100 works much better or I guess you could use PLT50,75,100 as another option.

PLT- suggestes it is a level below Platinum, which would actually be Gold!
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No - I talked about this with my Ambassador, she said IF you are applying an SNA, once that clears, you need to re-apply for Y24.

IF you already have a Y24 approved, and then get an SNA approved, your Y24 request is basically invalidated, because your Y24 was approved for a different room type.
Thanks for this. Good info to know!

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
My request was 7PM check-in/out.

Dispite being able to find at least 15 suites available for my check-out date on spg.com, five days out to my stay the property still projects to be full.

I contacted Your24 support desk about this which in turn got in touch with hotel. The hotel got back to me in an email. Their take on this is: I can have a 4PM check-out (what's new?), as a gesture of goodwill they will grant a 5PM check-out; finally, if I want a 7PM check-out I have to pay for an extra night.

It seems that they can accomodate my 7PM check-out (what about those projected occupancy levels?), but only if I pay extra!
OK, somehow I missed that OP would have to pay for the entire night instead of late check out fee. So Your24 is not available. Disregard my previous comments except for the part about PlatMinus. Still hate that label.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What difference does it make?
Confusion and thread disruption. See above.

As the ongoing merger discussions are bringing lots of new FT members to the SPG forum, many of whom are not familiar with the finer details of the SPG program, then IMHO it's best not to confuse things by using 'unofficial' terminology to describe something that doesn't really exist anyway.
KENNECTED, bhrubin and kyanar like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

As the ongoing merger discussions are bringing lots of new FT members to the SPG forum, many of whom are not familiar with the finer details of the SPG program, then IMHO it's best not to confuse things by using 'unofficial' terminology to describe something that doesn't really exist anyway.
If everyone knew/used the official terms there would be no need for FT. And the fact is there are several different levels of Plat and SPG has not provided any short names, so we make them up ourselves. Using Plat with under 75 nights is too cumbersome. Using something like PlatMinus does imply some limited benefits but still confusing.

This problem exists in many different programs. One that comes to mind is AA as Executive Platinum usually referred to as EXP. Some read that as Ex Platinum meaning previously Platinum and not even close to correct. If the program can not/will not make is clear what levels exists, then we are left to our own imaginations.

Some of us present these options hoping they will get picked up and become the defacto standard. I keep referring to the merged program as MPG hoping it will get traction. Only time will tell.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

�� �� We agree on something!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Using Plat with under 75 nights is too cumbersome.
Plat25 or P25 or just plain Plat (latter being my suggestion)
Plat50 or P50

There ya go!
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Anything wrong with PLT, PLT 75 and PLT 100? It's accurate and, AFAICT, inoffensive to all.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
5PM sounds pretty cool to me and I would have been happy with it.^:-:

I have run into hotels where 4PM is the latest, no exceptions. They claimed Housekeeping day shift leaves at 5PM so they won't be able to clean the room. I would need to pay for one extra night for 5PM checkout.
Sigh. Once again, it sure sounds like someone is accusing the FD of lying and the HK staff lazy... Some FTers really need to spend some time behind the FD before writing...

At some *wood hotels, that is true. They have shift that is trained to do the full service for the rooms. The evening shift is concentrated and trained on the turndown and fulfilling guest requests (more towels, more robes, toiletries...). Th two types of jobs are unique. A member of the evening staff will not necessarily know how to clean and prepare the room for an arrival ACCORDING TO THE BRAND STANDARD. It was certainly true at the *wood hotel I worked at. The reason you would have to pay for the extraordinary late check out was because the room was going to have to sit out of inventory and unable to be booked for that night because it couldn't be cleaned.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If one looks under MSP's handle, she's PlatMinus too (unless she hasn't updated under her handle) But yeah I don't see the need for the phrase. SPG has 3 levels of Plat. If one meets even the lowest level, they're still a Plat.

To the OP, while the property couldn't do the 7pm, that they extended to 5pm (hour past 4pm) was nice given they didn't have to do so.

Cheers.
The information under my username to the left of the post in question (which, for the record, I have not changed in a while) simply says that I'm "SPG Plat."

I don't know how or why this would lead you to assert that I'm PlatMinus, nor do I see what my personal status with SPG has to do with the discussion in this thread. The OP asked a question about the OP's attempt to use his/her Your24 benefit. Then RobOnLI asked why he/she had never noticed the Your24 benefit and I explained that he/she is not eligible for it based on the status match from Marriott Plat (which was explained in the post as the source of status with SPG). My own status is irrelevant for either of these issues.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The information under my username to the left of the post in question (which, for the record, I have not changed in a while) simply says that I'm "SPG Plat."

I don't know how or why this would lead you to assert that I'm PlatMinus, nor do I see what my personal status with SPG has to do with the discussion in this thread. The OP asked a question about the OP's attempt to use his/her Your24 benefit. Then RobOnLI asked why he/she had never noticed the Your24 benefit and I explained that he/she is not eligible for it based on the status match from Marriott Plat (which was explained in the post as the source of status with SPG). My own status is irrelevant for either of these issues.
You're correct in that your status is irrelevant to the OP, but given your other designations under your handle seem to be accurate, especially from what you've posted in the various forums (including Marriott PP which you mention each year), I'm surprised that if you're 50/75/100 you didn't list that too, especially when you use language such as PlatMinus. Of course status levels change, which you have probably or will experience

Your comment that the OP was PlatMinus implied that he was a Gold, because as been stated by William/StarwoodLurker, there is no PlatMinus - you're either Plat or you're not. Yes, SPG has 3 levels of Plat but it does NOT have a 4th level of PlatMinus. That's the issue w/ a comment like yours: "You don't have Your24. It's only for Plat75 and Amb. You're PlatMinus".

But as others have mentioned, including the mod, it's probably better to come up w/ consistent verbiage such as Plat, Plat50, Plat75, Plat100 (or some variation thereof, but consistent) because we do have new people coming to FT/SPG who may or may not be familiar w/ all things SPG & need constructive input.

The good news is the OP has had his question answered, & UA_NYC provided some additional helpful info wrt SNAs & Your24.

Cheers.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
grant a 5PM check-out; finally, if I want a 7PM check-out I have to pay for an extra night
that is kind of odd. could confirm with a manager
does SPG say they offer compensation if not given?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.