FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Club Lounge - Is this Normal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1794236-club-lounge-normal.html)

tobegold Oct 2, 2016 11:03 am

Club Lounge - Is this Normal

It has been 2 years since I last had club lounge access at a Sheraton and am very disappointed by the Sheraton Denver Tech - breakfast is lacking - just dried out bacon, scrambled eggs oatmeal and some fruit, cereal, yogurt and bread, evenings - paid bar, no free booze and some snacks. 2 years ago at the Hiroshima Sheraton there was full breakfast, a very good buffet dinner and open bar.

Is it just US Sheraton club lounges that are this cheap, or is it just this property?

Also, with 49 TV channels, they do not have AMC, so for those Walking Dead or Fear the Walking Dead fans who want to keep up with the show, do not stay here.

SkiAdcock Oct 2, 2016 11:05 am

I can't speak to the Sheraton in Denver, but my experience is that international lounges (whether SPG or Marriott) are always better than domestic lounges (some properties excepted).

Cheers.

MSPeconomist Oct 2, 2016 11:05 am

It's not just Starwood but as a very general rule USA lounges don't have free alcohol and lounges overseas do.

mahasamatman Oct 2, 2016 11:10 am

Sounds like this lounge is better than most North American lounges. They actually had some hot food for breakfast, which is above the norm.

travelismylife Oct 2, 2016 5:48 pm

Sounds pretty typical, though I am sure some conspiracy theorists will posit how all SPG lounges used to be a million times better than any Marriott lounge in the world and they all just quickly downgraded in anticipation of the merger.
Ime of several hundred hotel concierge lounges/ clubs in the US, in like like settings (brands, location...) the order of quality is Marriott>Hilton>SPG>IHG. Obviously in certain locales SPG or Hilton has the best club/lounge but this is has been my experience as an overall rule.

howtofreetravel Oct 2, 2016 5:49 pm

The Sheraton metairie was horrible they did not even have scrambled eggs.

mahasamatman Oct 2, 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 27293834)
The Sheraton metairie was horrible they did not even have scrambled eggs.

That's much more typical.

fdem Oct 3, 2016 5:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27292465)
It's not just Starwood but as a very general rule USA lounges don't have free alcohol and lounges overseas do.

Probably due to the compensation culture if one developed liver problems one could sue the hotel. I would never bother to use a US one. Cannot understand the obsession with them except most to seem they replace supper/dinner.

hhoope01 Oct 3, 2016 6:22 am

Originally Posted by fdemoulin (Post 27295578)
I would never bother to use a US one. Cannot understand the obsession with them except most to seem they replace supper/dinner.

For evening offerings, I don't disagree. The lounge offerings isn't a big draw. But for breakfast, it is nice being able to quickly get in, have a quick breakfast and get out. In general, even though the restaurant offerings will usually be much better quality with a larger spread, it will take longer to get in and out. On weekends, I actually like that most Marriott's close their lounges. I will usually not be rushed in the mornings. So having breakfast in the restaurant is the better alternative, but during the work week, speed is more important to me.

Flews Oct 3, 2016 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 27292491)
Sounds like this lounge is better than most North American lounges. They actually had some hot food for breakfast, which is above the norm.

And above what's required per the fine print.

Cheers,

Flews Oct 3, 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by fdemoulin (Post 27295578)
Probably due to the compensation culture if one developed liver problems one could sue the hotel. I would never bother to use a US one. Cannot understand the obsession with them except most to seem they replace supper/dinner.

Most of my lounge visits are in Canada, and the fare at many is really good, so it makes sense folks would enjoy them. My US experiences have been hit and miss, but on average not too bad.

Cheers,

PromoGoogler Oct 4, 2016 12:28 am

Sheraton @Denver Tech Center has free booze in the evenings...at least since 2011 thru earlier this year

rbAA Oct 4, 2016 4:41 am

Originally Posted by travelismylife (Post 27293830)
Ime of several hundred hotel concierge lounges/ clubs in the US, in like like settings (brands, location...) the order of quality is Marriott>Hilton>SPG>IHG. Obviously in certain locales SPG or Hilton has the best club/lounge but this is has been my experience as an overall rule.

Depends on where you're staying. For example, the IC SF is by far the best hotel lounge of the chains for the Bay Area. Had an evening spread offering by Luce, their Michelin star chef/restaurant, and all the free drinks you can possibly consume.

Plus, don't forget that Hyatt has some decent domestic lounges as well.

SFBayGuy Oct 4, 2016 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PromoGoogler (Post 27299978)
Sheraton @Denver Tech Center has free booze in the evenings...at least since 2011 thru earlier this year

Same at Sheraton at DEN airport.

Kagehitokiri Oct 4, 2016 2:57 pm

ritz carlton central park, washington, ft lauderdale had good/great clubs at one point

think about low costs in asia, also club lounges are a big thing (business etc) there

in europe, depends on place, some places have higher standards, some same/lower

a few park hyatt have club, some grand hyatt very well regarded (berlin for example)