Club Lounge - Is this Normal

Old Oct 2, 16, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Club Lounge - Is this Normal

It has been 2 years since I last had club lounge access at a Sheraton and am very disappointed by the Sheraton Denver Tech - breakfast is lacking - just dried out bacon, scrambled eggs oatmeal and some fruit, cereal, yogurt and bread, evenings - paid bar, no free booze and some snacks. 2 years ago at the Hiroshima Sheraton there was full breakfast, a very good buffet dinner and open bar.

Is it just US Sheraton club lounges that are this cheap, or is it just this property?

Also, with 49 TV channels, they do not have AMC, so for those Walking Dead or Fear the Walking Dead fans who want to keep up with the show, do not stay here.
Old Oct 2, 16, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I can't speak to the Sheraton in Denver, but my experience is that international lounges (whether SPG or Marriott) are always better than domestic lounges (some properties excepted).

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 16, 12:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not just Starwood but as a very general rule USA lounges don't have free alcohol and lounges overseas do.
Old Oct 2, 16, 12:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Sounds like this lounge is better than most North American lounges. They actually had some hot food for breakfast, which is above the norm.
Old Oct 2, 16, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Sounds pretty typical, though I am sure some conspiracy theorists will posit how all SPG lounges used to be a million times better than any Marriott lounge in the world and they all just quickly downgraded in anticipation of the merger.
Ime of several hundred hotel concierge lounges/ clubs in the US, in like like settings (brands, location...) the order of quality is Marriott>Hilton>SPG>IHG. Obviously in certain locales SPG or Hilton has the best club/lounge but this is has been my experience as an overall rule.
Old Oct 2, 16, 6:49 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
The Sheraton metairie was horrible they did not even have scrambled eggs.
Old Oct 2, 16, 7:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel View Post
The Sheraton metairie was horrible they did not even have scrambled eggs.
That's much more typical.
Old Oct 3, 16, 6:37 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's not just Starwood but as a very general rule USA lounges don't have free alcohol and lounges overseas do.
Probably due to the compensation culture if one developed liver problems one could sue the hotel. I would never bother to use a US one. Cannot understand the obsession with them except most to seem they replace supper/dinner.
Old Oct 3, 16, 7:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fdemoulin View Post
I would never bother to use a US one. Cannot understand the obsession with them except most to seem they replace supper/dinner.
For evening offerings, I don't disagree. The lounge offerings isn't a big draw. But for breakfast, it is nice being able to quickly get in, have a quick breakfast and get out. In general, even though the restaurant offerings will usually be much better quality with a larger spread, it will take longer to get in and out. On weekends, I actually like that most Marriott's close their lounges. I will usually not be rushed in the mornings. So having breakfast in the restaurant is the better alternative, but during the work week, speed is more important to me.
Old Oct 3, 16, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Sounds like this lounge is better than most North American lounges. They actually had some hot food for breakfast, which is above the norm.
And above what's required per the fine print.

Cheers,
Old Oct 3, 16, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by fdemoulin View Post
Probably due to the compensation culture if one developed liver problems one could sue the hotel. I would never bother to use a US one. Cannot understand the obsession with them except most to seem they replace supper/dinner.
Most of my lounge visits are in Canada, and the fare at many is really good, so it makes sense folks would enjoy them. My US experiences have been hit and miss, but on average not too bad.

Cheers,
Old Oct 4, 16, 1:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Sheraton @Denver Tech Center has free booze in the evenings...at least since 2011 thru earlier this year
Old Oct 4, 16, 5:41 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by travelismylife View Post
Ime of several hundred hotel concierge lounges/ clubs in the US, in like like settings (brands, location...) the order of quality is Marriott>Hilton>SPG>IHG. Obviously in certain locales SPG or Hilton has the best club/lounge but this is has been my experience as an overall rule.
Depends on where you're staying. For example, the IC SF is by far the best hotel lounge of the chains for the Bay Area. Had an evening spread offering by Luce, their Michelin star chef/restaurant, and all the free drinks you can possibly consume.

Plus, don't forget that Hyatt has some decent domestic lounges as well.
Old Oct 4, 16, 8:17 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by PromoGoogler View Post
Sheraton @Denver Tech Center has free booze in the evenings...at least since 2011 thru earlier this year
Same at Sheraton at DEN airport.
Old Oct 4, 16, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ritz carlton central park, washington, ft lauderdale had good/great clubs at one point

think about low costs in asia, also club lounges are a big thing (business etc) there

in europe, depends on place, some places have higher standards, some same/lower

a few park hyatt have club, some grand hyatt very well regarded (berlin for example)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: