Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Announcing SPG’s 2016 Category Changes : Effective 1 March 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
The 2016 SPG Redemption category changes, effective 1 March 2016, are here:

http://spgpromos.com/2016categorychange

Please note that this list is preliminary and that category adjustments are always subject to change and further adjustments may be made before or after the category change date, March 1, 2016.

Update : the category change data referred to in the above link has now been removed from the website. This thread post captured the information before it was removed.
Print Wikipost

Announcing SPG’s 2016 Category Changes : Effective 1 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jar2542
I am really disappointed with all the category 5 to category 6 increases in N. America. This is a 8k point jump for low-peak season. Making a 5 night stay jump from 48k to 80k. And there is a lot of changes like this, not just a couple.

Almost all the beach vacations are category 6 now. All 3 Maui properties, St John, Grand Cayman, Cancun, the slaughter in San Fransisco. These hotels aren't even nice, they just have a good location and they just almost doubled in cost. If I am going to Maui, I am going to stay at the Andaz for 25k Hyatt points, not the Sheraton for 25k SPG points.

Not to mention some of the larger cities moving to a category 6 including New Orleans, Hollywood, Washington DC, LA, Beaver Creek, Austin, San Antonio. I mean, that is ridiculous! Who is going to stay at the San Antonio Riverwalk for the same number of points as Bora Bora?!!
This pretty much sums it up. Every property I'm interested in is now moving to Cat 6, which cuts the point value almost in HALF. Starwood has no value to me anymore. Time to move my stays and cancel our SPG cards. At least I don't have to wait and see for the Marriott merger now.

Farewell SPG.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
Farewell SPG.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:34 pm

whoa, just noticed 4P Diagonal Barcelona going to Cat 3. if that's a Cat 3, then i clearly don't know what a Cat 3 is.

apparently it is a poorly located bare bones budget hotel that can often be had for $60 some odd dollars. i thought it would go to Cat 1! wow.

you know it's bad when Marriott has better points options in a city. oh. wait...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:36 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
This pretty much sums it up. Every property I'm interested in is now moving to Cat 6, which cuts the point value almost in HALF. Starwood has no value to me anymore. Time to move my stays and cancel our SPG cards. At least I don't have to wait and see for the Marriott merger now.

Farewell SPG.
Ironically, so many city center SPG properties are now at Category 6, requiring 20,000 or 25,000 points per night.

City center Marriott properties in places like NY, SF, Paris, etc. are generally Category 8, requiring 40,000 points per night or Category 9, requiring 45,000 points per night.

If SPG points convert to Marriott points 1:2, there you go. Though not implying these changes have anything to do with the upcoming merger as they aren't allowed to trade information for the time being... but for people who like to redeem for expensive city center properties, maybe by the time the merger closes and the programs integrate (which might not be until ANOTHER round of category adjustments in early 2017), maybe SPG will have already devalued enough that there won't necessarily be much perceived loss in point value.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just called to book Four Points by Sheraton Penghu Taiwan Ma Gong City which is still a cat 1 hotel. However, instead of 2,000/3,000 I have been charged 3000/4,000 for weekend/weekday. They said cat 1 was 3000/4000.
But the website said 2000/3000.

Look like this hotel can no longer be booked at 2000/3000 points as of today.

Thank you!

Last edited by milemission; Feb 19, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
I am really disappointed with all the category 5 to category 6 increases in N. America. This is a 8k point jump for low-peak season. Making a 5 night stay jump from 48k to 80k. And there is a lot of changes like this, not just a couple.

Almost all the beach vacations are category 6 now. All 3 Maui properties, St John, Grand Cayman, Cancun, the slaughter in San Fransisco. These hotels aren't even nice, they just have a good location and they just almost doubled in cost. If I am going to Maui, I am going to stay at the Andaz for 25k Hyatt points, not the Sheraton for 25k SPG points.

Not to mention some of the larger cities moving to a category 6 including New Orleans, Hollywood, Washington DC, LA, Beaver Creek, Austin, San Antonio. I mean, that is ridiculous! Who is going to stay at the San Antonio Riverwalk for the same number of points as Bora Bora?!!
Agree. Plus LM Barca, plus Japan, Grande Bretagne, etc. C5 to C6 is the most brutal jump points wise. And no C6 in Europe or America going down...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
the slaughter in San Fransisco. These hotels aren't even nice, they just have a good location and they just almost doubled in cost.
Not surprised at all. During peak periods (and we have several per year), SF hotels have been commanding some of the world's highest city rates for nothing more than a decent business hotel.

We went from the initial "shock" of "we're now as expensive as Manhattan" to the new shock of "we're more expensive than London" from time to time.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Who is going to stay at the San Antonio Riverwalk for the same number of points as Bora Bora?!!
Normal people?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:47 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Sad to see the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista go from a 2 to a 3. This was the best deal for those with kids going to WDW. I will book a bunch of nights there before the changeover.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

A little bit of a bloodbath, but in terms of category increases, this is in line with what I expected. I am surprised that we're not seeing a whole lot of decreases in Europe, Malaysia, and Indonesia. Those currencies have weakened significantly vs the US Dollar, and it's hard to see how almost all properties there could have made up the 15-20% currency drop with higher rates.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
it's hard to see how almost all properties there could have made up the 15-20% currency drop with higher rates.
+1. I had the same thought, especially at certain European properties. I thought categories were based on profitability or revenue.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Bummer...i was hoping to collect on the 10k pts of the Take Two promo for a Great Northern stay in April.
Maybe...just maybe...they'll have C+P available later on. I'd be partially okay w that.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Westin Palace Milan the same cat. as the just one year opened LC Excelsior Gallia... crazy!!!

Schloß Fuschl cat. 7. WOW!!! The lowest rate there is under 200 € sometimes...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Le Meridien Vienna - Cat 5 - Nice hotel but is it worth the same amount of points as the Bristol?
Interestingly, that property was a cat 4 in 2010; then went up to cat 5 for a few years; and then dropped back to cat 4 last year. Sorry to see it go back up, as it is indeed a nice hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:28 pm

Thank you Lurkers, for the early notice. Just booked a stay on points that would have been more than twice as many points after March 1. Cat. 2 going to Cat. 3, 10K points vs. 21K points for the 3 night long weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.