Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Announcing SPG’s 2016 Category Changes : Effective 1 March 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
The 2016 SPG Redemption category changes, effective 1 March 2016, are here:

http://spgpromos.com/2016categorychange

Please note that this list is preliminary and that category adjustments are always subject to change and further adjustments may be made before or after the category change date, March 1, 2016.

Update : the category change data referred to in the above link has now been removed from the website. This thread post captured the information before it was removed.
Print Wikipost

Announcing SPG’s 2016 Category Changes : Effective 1 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Sheraton Dubrovnik is going from Cat. 4 to Cat. 2 - I see some very good redemption stories here.

90% of China moving up is bad news, though.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
As I said last year...it could definitely be worse. Sheraton Dubrovnik could be the best change on this list.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:25 pm

all my favourites in Thailand are going up
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: spg plat
all the hotels around me in shanghai are going up! this sucks. danning and jiading were my weekend getaway. this leave one cat 2 property around shanghai.

it seems like these chinese are really driving up the category change at least in the whole southeast asia
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
I liked the Westin in Singapore, IMO probably all-round the best Starwood amongst a less-than-average pack in Singapore. But no way is it worth a Cat 6. The Sheraton should then be a Cat 3-4!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
just had a feeling that the fact that all properties in Thailand go up is not going to help SPG to succeed in Thailand where there are tons of competitors...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Surprised how few Canadian properties are going down - and none in Quebec - given the yuge, yuge! drop in the CAD. Granted, I (and everyone else on this board other than the Lurkers) don't know all of the facts but I find it hard to believe that the room rates have risen (especially in Montreal which I frequent) at such an extent in the last year and projected so high for next year to make up for the currency drop.

Oh, well.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gojko88
Sheraton Dubrovnik is going from Cat. 4 to Cat. 2 - I see some very good redemption stories here.
Originally Posted by CLEguy
As I said last year...it could definitely be worse. Sheraton Dubrovnik could be the best change on this list.
Somehow I think that is a fat finger typo that might never happen. Rates in the summer are far too high for a Category 2 rating...

Otherwise, sad to see LM Mauritius, LM Chiang Mai, S Fuerteventura and 4P BCN going up. They were often marginal cash vs. points. Now it's back to cash for sure, which I guess is what SPG want, but I'm running out of good value points redemptions.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dawhim
all the hotels around me in shanghai are going up! this sucks. danning and jiading were my weekend getaway. this leave one cat 2 property around shanghai.

it seems like these chinese are really driving up the category change at least in the whole southeast asia
as well as Japan properties
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:13 pm

This sucks. I have 10 days to make a decision about my London dates now.. Most European properties I am interested in moving up a category
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: Trying my best to love Le Club Accor (Gold)
Le Méridien Kota Kinabalu Malaysia from 3 to 2. The rest of Malaysian properties are unchanged which is a very good news

Fair enough, probably well deserved since they still not complete with the room renovation.
Too bad i was already eyeing on Hyatt for my stay in May-Jun.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Westin Milan to Cat 6?
Sorry, I rather stay at the Park Hyatt Milan for slightly more.

Not sure what weed SPG is smoking today...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Disappointed/surprised the Westin Copley Place is going up a category, when its rates are typically pretty similar to the cat 5 Sheraton next-door. And 5-6 is a pretty big jump from 12,000-20,000. Also surprised about Westin Grand Central, since its rates are typically considerably less than the cat 6 hotels in the city.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

None of these changes are advantageous to me, but c'est la vie.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CPRich
Sorting by Region and Country, but then showing all the increases in a country first, by state/province (blanks first, of course), city and property, then all the decreases by country, state/province, city, and property afterwards.
You can sort the lists in many different ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.