Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Announcing SPG’s 2016 Category Changes : Effective 1 March 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
The 2016 SPG Redemption category changes, effective 1 March 2016, are here:

http://spgpromos.com/2016categorychange

Please note that this list is preliminary and that category adjustments are always subject to change and further adjustments may be made before or after the category change date, March 1, 2016.

Update : the category change data referred to in the above link has now been removed from the website. This thread post captured the information before it was removed.
Print Wikipost

Announcing SPG’s 2016 Category Changes : Effective 1 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm also trying to book right now (at the Le Meridien San Francisco). SPG.com is showing the new rate (20k/night), but the Platinum line CSR was just able to lock in the old rate (12k/night). ^

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Sheraton Miyako Osaka is quietly changing from category 2 to category 3. It is not in the list!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Originally Posted by cy1978hk
Sheraton Miyako Osaka is quietly changing from category 2 to category 3. It is not in the list!
Are you serious!? NOOOO i wanted to make a booking for next April
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician went up to a 7 and I didnt see it on the list. Thankfully I had booked this morning, noticed the change after 6pm PST
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Based on my experience trying to book multiple hotels, there seem to be at least 2 separate issues.

1) hotels are changing to the new category based on the timezone of the hotel. So hotels in Australia and Asia were already in effect this morning. CSRs are not able to override this (at least my CSR and supervisor weren't), though it's possible they might be able to after a software update.

2. there is a separate issue going on with the leap year, where every hotel is showing the new (Mar 1) rate online, regardless of whether the rate is in effect. CSRs are able to override this (at least mine was), as long as the hotel time isn't Mar 1 yet.

I find #1 utterly unacceptable. Maybe I missed it, but I saw no announcement that the cutover time was based on local time and not a central time (like EST). They are making a special request to the hotel to honor the old rate. They'd better.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by cy1978hk
Originally Posted by jwongathon
Are you serious!? NOOOO i wanted to make a booking for next April
It's already mentioned in post #137.

It probably didn't make the cut off date for the publication.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
Based on my experience trying to book multiple hotels, there seem to be at least 2 separate issues.

1) hotels are changing to the new category based on the timezone of the hotel. So hotels in Australia and Asia were already in effect this morning. CSRs are not able to override this (at least my CSR and supervisor weren't), though it's possible they might be able to after a software update.

2. there is a separate issue going on with the leap year, where every hotel is showing the new (Mar 1) rate online, regardless of whether the rate is in effect. CSRs are able to override this (at least mine was), as long as the hotel time isn't Mar 1 yet.

I find #1 utterly unacceptable. Maybe I missed it, but I saw no announcement that the cutover time was based on local time and not a central time (like EST). They are making a special request to the hotel to honor the old rate. They'd better.
Well, you had at least a week to react to the changes.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:57 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

On the upside, LM Vienna is still at Cat 4, not Cat 5.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
this change will upset most flyertalkers.

SGS in Bangkok is now cat 5.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
all design hotels that have joined spg so far are bookable using points now....
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
all design hotels that have joined spg so far are bookable using points now....
Yeah there's a separate thread.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:41 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
this change will upset most flyertalkers.

SGS in Bangkok is now cat 5.
As is the StR BKK. Downcat to 5, so. The choice is obvious?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Yeah there's a separate thread.
i know....i posted in that thread earlier today....just informing people here as well....
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ignorantcow
As is the StR BKK. Downcat to 5, so. The choice is obvious?
It's like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" thing.

Just to inform folks here.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:21 am

Westin Beaver Creek just jumped from 72K for a 1 week stay to 120K for a 1 week stay - a 66% increase in the point cost. Or a redemption value drop from 7.1 cpp to 4.3 cpp.

I know its all a game, but I seriously have a problem with these programs being able to give/sell/reward you points under one set of terms and conditions, and then being able to effectively cut the value in half whenever they want.

Yes I know... "where else can you get 4.3cpp" blah blah blah. Sometimes its the principle of the thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.