Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Your24 is pretty much worthless... what's the point of hitting 75 nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your24 is pretty much worthless... what's the point of hitting 75 nights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
I've used this feature a couple of times recently and found it to be a nice convenience; YMMV.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Smile All positive

I find your24 to be very valuable. Recent red eye to Europe. Your24 granted almost immediately for a 9 AM check in. Had this happen many times and is great to be able to get into room after an overnight flight. Overall, many are granted, only resorts seem to deny a guarantee, but even then on check in, it is noted on record and usually granted even though not guaranteed.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I definitely think Your24 is valuable. I've used it on several occasions when I've needed a room due to an early flight arrival and 90% of the time, it works.

I frankly find way more value using Your24 than the 10 SNAs which are basically useless.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've had far more Your24 requests approved than denied. Most of the times it was denied, the hotel turned out to be sold out.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I've had far more Your24 requests approved than denied. Most of the times it was denied, the hotel turned out to be sold out.
same here....although, i have come across a few occasions where it has been denied even though the hotel had plenty of availability....

either way, i consider this to be one of the best benefits of the program....
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
I wanted to add my positive experience to this, having only used it a handful of times.

At worst, this can be a good nice-to-have. At best, it can be an invaluable perk. I've had a flight arriving at BKK at 6am and knew that I'd be at the St Regis Bangkok around 8am. Your24 allowed for my room to be ready then *and* for a late checkout at 4 the following day - something that for all intents and purposes would classify as a stay-and-a-half!

Yes, there can be some back and forth with the hotel in the run-up to confirming the benefit. I have also had the same excuses thrown at me as those mentioned earlier, but I think it's important to keep asking up until the very end (as sometimes they will suddenly and miraculously be able to honor your request due to last-minute cancellations).

I admit, I hate arguing with hoteliers as to what constitutes as a benefit and what that actually entails. But the bottom line is that Your24 is a excellent perk, definitely worth pursuing!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
+1 there are 2 ways this works for me. Some hotels Ill request the Y24 8am-8am and then ask for a 4pm check out. Never been denied. However, for airport hotels I don't bother using it, I've never not gotten a room right away (6-8AM) at the Sheratons in FRA, AMS, CDG & LHR. This way your still 'guaranteed' the 4pm check out. Theoretically if you use the y24 for an 8am check in, the hotel does have the right to request you check out by 8am as well (although this has never happened to me)
I used to think the Y24 benefit was awesome -- and I still like it is awesome given the geographic footprint of hotels where the benefit is applicable. But then I encountered Nordic Choice hotels where I get a very early check-in based on availability and have guarantee 6pm late checkout as a Platinum.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I used to think the Y24 benefit was awesome -- and I still like it is awesome given the geographic footprint of hotels where the benefit is applicable. But then I encountered Nordic Choice hotels where I get a very early check-in based on availability and have guarantee 6pm late checkout as a Platinum.
The Nordic Choice Platinum 6 pm late checkout is a very nice perk, indeed. But the Nordic Choice portfolio isn't remotely as high end or luxury as that of Starwood, nor does its 190 hotels come close to the 1400 or so Starwood hotels where one can enjoy such benefit. There is no high end/luxury portfolio remotely as generous with its elites as much as Starwood is. Not even Hyatt can approach the benefits generosity nor luxury portfolio size.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The Nordic Choice Platinum 6 pm late checkout is a very nice perk, indeed. But the Nordic Choice portfolio isn't remotely as high end or luxury as that of Starwood, nor does its 190 hotels come close to the 1400 or so Starwood hotels where one can enjoy such benefit. There is no high end/luxury portfolio remotely as generous with its elites as much as Starwood is. Not even Hyatt can approach the benefits generosity nor luxury portfolio size.
Your24 applies to like one hotel in all of the Nordic countries, while it's better benefit sibling (of early check-in+6pm checkout) applies at 150+ hotels in the same region? For a market where higher labor costs and lower staffing levels per guest have consequences in how affordable such a benefit is, it's rather interesting to see Nordic Choice hotels being able to outdo Starwood in this area.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Given my own track record, I'd much rather have a guaranteed early check-in privilege and late checkout in lieu of Your24. i.e. 11am check-in and 4pm check-out.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:35 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Looking back over my history I've had about 80% approved. Twice though when I arrived at the hotel even though I had an approved request the room was not ready.

So far I have always requested an early check in but the one I want in August would be 6 pm to 6 pm.

Thanks for the info that I can try again one more time. In the future I think I will save my requests until closer to my reservation. Upon reflection, I understand that hotels might have a difficult time approving way in advance.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I was optimistic that limiting Your24 to Ambassador guests might help ensure better responsiveness in a programme which I'd always had responses on and which were usually positive unless a hotel was genuinely sold out. Sadly, it looks like the opposite has happened. By eliminating the online Your24 submission Marriott has fundamentally broken Your24 in Starwood hotels and appears to have made no effort to deploy to Marriott hotels. I use Your24 requests in quite a high proportion of my Starriott stays and have just registered a complaint with my Ambassador as it's clear this theoretical programme benefit is usually not actually available as applied.

The process used to be you made a request online. You got a response within 48 hours.

After fighting with a number of hotels who either ignore my Ambassador's emails, always say no even when they're empty or who say early check-in is based on availability I had the following experience with the usually excellent Great Northern Hotel in London:
  • I email my Ambassador to request Your24
  • The Ambassador emails me to acknowledge request and emails the the hotel with the request
  • Hotel emails me back directly to say that early check-in is subject to availability
  • I fwd email to Ambassador asking for help
  • Ambassador emails the property again
  • The property emails me asking for when my check-in time is as part of their usual welcome
  • I email my Ambassador to ask him if it means they haven't got my Your24 request
  • Ambassador replies that they're on it and that it's just an automated email
  • At around this point we later learnt that the Your24 request was somehow closed with no notification
  • I email my Ambassador just before the weekend to chase up the request, but think he might have been away
  • I arrive at the property who (surprise) did not receive a Your24 or any early check-in request. The receptionist had been told that Your24 has been discontinued
  • I was a bit worried this would happen, so to ensure that I wouldn't have any problems I booked a room around midnight the night before to ensure a room was free. Sadly this was before the nighttime "sweep" and so I was registered as a no-show and my room deleted
  • Luckily the GNH are great and they were able to take a room which had been pre-assigned to someone else and give it to me instead so I was able to have 30min sleep and get a shower before work, but logic fails me as to why Marriott might think that this is better than the way things used to be
rny321 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Wow, that's disappointing. OTOH, that was the only benefit that I thought I would miss since I won't qualify for Ambassador level anymore. Guess there's nothing to miss!
EuropeanPete and rny321 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.