FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [I received a gift of] Vosges Haut-Chocolat truffles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1732503-i-received-gift-vosges-haut-chocolat-truffles.html)

seawolf Dec 17, 2015 3:47 pm

[I received a gift of] Vosges Haut-Chocolat truffles

Just got a box delivered by FedEx courtesy of SPG. Anybody else receive one?

eRRRRRFDS105633 Dec 17, 2015 4:24 pm

My wife received a box of the same truffles today from SPG. We thought it was funny, she has "0" stays this year and has probably averaged less than 5 SPG nights per year for the past 15 years. She does use her Amex Starwood a fair amount and accrues points that way but I wouldn't say it's more than 15-20k in SPG points per year.
ME, I'm SPG Lifetime gold and have been Platinum for at least 10 or 11 straight years - - nada !!

abk Dec 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes came today. Reports are that they are pretty good also. I think the box had some writing that said "spg amex"

canalskater Dec 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Canada???

Anyone from Canada receive this. I love chocolate so I hope I will, especially after hitting Ambassador level three years running.

TheTakeOffRush Dec 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Sounds fairly random, but a classy (and delicious) touch.

mahasamatman Dec 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by canalskater (Post 25881889)
Anyone from Canada receive this.

I think it's safe to say there's zero chance of that.

seawolf Dec 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by eRRRRRFDS105633 (Post 25881402)
My wife received a box of the same truffles today from SPG. We thought it was funny, she has "0" stays this year and has probably averaged less than 5 SPG nights per year for the past 15 years. She does use her Amex Starwood a fair amount and accrues points that way but I wouldn't say it's more than 15-20k in SPG points per year.
ME, I'm SPG Lifetime gold and have been Platinum for at least 10 or 11 straight years - - nada !!

I wonder if they do one per household. My FedEx account indicates that a label was created for my spouse as well last week (8 DEC) but it still has not been tendered to FedEx.

Djlawman Dec 17, 2015 9:55 pm

I got them also. Just a lowly SPG Gold, and while I spend a fair amount on the SPG AMEX, I am sure there are plenty of people with more stays and more spending than I have. The box we got appears to be this collection of chocolates:

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/produ...olate_truffles

Have had one so far -- it was very good. Not sure I would spend $45 for the box, but not going to look a gift horse, or truffle, in the mouth.

J S Dec 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Got one

I received this as well. Very nice surprise. I think it is the only time a company has sent something like that to me. I have had very low spg stays for the last several years, but extremely high Amex spend.

Djlawman Dec 17, 2015 10:35 pm

One other possible data point. I have been an SPG AMEX card holder since the card was first issued. (Used to have the Sheraton card before it converted.) The shipping information referred to SPG AMEX 15, so I wonder if that was factored into who got the chocolates.

David Simon Dec 18, 2015 12:09 pm

My wife just got one today. We've both had the card a long time but I've had it a bit longer than her (I think I've had it since it shortly after it started as a Starwood card) and definitely have more usage on my card than she does. Wonder if it's based on a certain number of years having the card like an anniversary year rather than just how long.

seawolf Dec 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 25882277)
I wonder if they do one per household. My FedEx account indicates that a label was created for my spouse as well last week (8 DEC) but it still has not been tendered to FedEx.

Looks like my box just got tendered to FedEx today despite the shipping label created 8 DEC.

iflyuaaa Dec 18, 2015 7:13 pm

thank you for this thread. i got an email today for a fedex delivery and was scratching my head! i had an amex earlier this year that i cancelled about 4 mos ago. spg100.

so not sure why i got the box.

PremEx Dec 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Vosges Haut-Chocolat truffles

Got mine today. I don't use Amex at all. But on the back of the card was a message thanking me for over a decade of Platinum and earning Lifetime Platinum in 2015.

Thank You Starwood. Very nice of you.

yosithezet Dec 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Did the come from Charlotte, NC?

I was away for a few weeks and a package was returned to sender.

abk Dec 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Based in Chicago and I believe mine wash shipped from there.

EricH Dec 19, 2015 7:45 pm

I saw this thread and then I got a message that there was a package for me at my building office. I wasn't expecting anything so I got all excited that something delicious was waiting for me. Tragically, it turned out that the mailman got lazy yesterday and, instead of putting the mail in the mailboxes, just dropped it all off at the office.

I want my delicious chocolates!

etsmyers Dec 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by PremEx (Post 25889899)
Got mine today. I don't use Amex at all. But on the back of the card was a message thanking me for over a decade of Platinum and earning Lifetime Platinum in 2015.

Thank You Starwood. Very nice of you.

So in other words, my 118 nights this year have no chance

Robinjoym Dec 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Chocolates?

Can Lurkers explain who gets the chocolates?
I'm lifetime gold, 10 years+platinum, 72 nights in 2015, long-time AmEx card holder
Will I get the surprise?

RobUAIntl Dec 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Got an email from FedEx today that I have a package from "Zach Jurosz, VOSGES HAUT-CHOCOLAT, Chicago, IL,US" that will be delivered on 24 Dec and the reference is "SPG-P75" which seems like a reference to "Platinum 75".

But I'm currently Platinum 100 and will be going to Platinum 50 next year (due to only 54 stays at SPG this year).

Wonder if there is different chocolate for different levels or just different notes.

uxb Dec 20, 2015 9:40 am

I actually sent better chocolates to my ambassador as thanks for all of her help this year. :D

PremEx Dec 20, 2015 10:42 am

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl (Post 25890725)
Got an email from FedEx today that I have a package from "Zach Jurosz, VOSGES HAUT-CHOCOLAT, Chicago, IL,US" that will be delivered on 24 Dec and the reference is "SPG-P75" which seems like a reference to "Platinum 75".

Yep. My FedEx reference said "SPG-LPT" which jives with what is printed on the back of the "A Little Treat...A Big Thank You" card: That I received it for(and was likely triggered by) achieving Lifetime Platinum in 2015. That card also has a "SPG-LP" code on it.

Those that have received it and are still speculating as to why...did you look on the back of that card? I'm guessing it should say, as it did on mine.

"Congratulations on achieving SPG Lifetime Platinum in 2015. A decade of Platinum status is an extraordinary achievement, and we could not be happier to count you among our most elite members. Year after year, you make us better.

Thank you for your part in a sweet 2015."

UA-NYC Dec 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers (Post 25890682)
So in other words, my 118 nights this year have no chance

Maybe it's similar to the AMB theory that only those that stay at StR and LC get the extra special treatment ;)

czj48 Dec 20, 2015 8:04 pm

Mine came a couple of days ago and is under the tree.

Only a gold (over and over) but do a bit of business on my 20 year AMEX.

Actually a pleasant surprise.;)

BizNYC Dec 21, 2015 6:01 am

My box chocolates came Saturday and congratulated me on making Lifetime Platinum this year. Having been left out of the targeted promotions this year, it felt nice to have some type of special recognition. ;). Although I am normally a glass-half-full kind of person, it was a bit of a bittersweet moment realizing this was (likely) the last surprise holiday gift from my beloved SPG program. Photo books, Hulu subscriptions, $25 gift certificates...always appreciated the little gifts.

seawolf Dec 21, 2015 1:14 pm

There are definitely different criteria.

SPG-P75
SPG-AMEX15

uxb Dec 21, 2015 1:48 pm

I guess I'm not eligible. Just as well. Half of the chocolates appear to contain nuts, which would've been wasted on me thanks to a tree nut allergy. I prefer free nights anyway, but I suppose gifts like that is how *wood ended up merging with Marriott in the first place. ;)

Flews Dec 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 25898319)
I guess I'm not eligible. Just as well. Half of the chocolates appear to contain nuts, which would've been wasted on me thanks to a tree nut allergy.

Reminds me of the time I picked up my insulin supplies at the village pharmacy; the pharmacist gave me a box of chocolates as a Christmas gift. :eek:

Cheers,

uxb Dec 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flews (Post 25898509)
Reminds me of the time I picked up my insulin supplies at the village pharmacy; the pharmacist gave me a box of chocolates as a Christmas gift. :eek:

Cheers,

LOL! That's just plain dumb. :D Anyway, happy holidays!

thaliajen Dec 21, 2015 3:21 pm

I got mine yesterday. The note enclosed thanked me for achieving Lifetime Platinum Status. I love the little "map" naming each truffle after a different hotel. They're very good truffles! That said, I would've MUCH rather have received ONE SNA with my Lifetime Plat Status than a box of truffles. Or the old Plat gift of half off points stays at any SPG hotel. But since they offered chocolates, I'm happy to have them! ;)

Melodsal Dec 21, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm a new plat-75 who moved over from Hyatt this year. What are the odds I get one?

MSPeconomist Dec 21, 2015 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flews (Post 25898509)

Cheers,

A pharmacy should know better.......or were they trying to cause you to need a lot more insulin or other medications in the future?

CIT85 Dec 22, 2015 3:50 pm

I got mine this morning. The enclosed note also thanked me for achieving Lifetime Platinum status in 2015. So it appears that was why I received the box of chocolates. My family appreciated the nice chocolates.

Globehopper Dec 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Any incumbent (prior to 2015) Lifetime Plats also get the box of chocs?

Canada101 Dec 22, 2015 7:57 pm

168 nights this year and got squat.

mahasamatman Dec 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25900158)
A pharmacy should know better.......or were they trying to cause you to need a lot more insulin or other medications in the future?

Diabetics (particularly insulin-dependent diabetics) always need to carry sugar with them. Though real sugar is the best option, chocolate will do in a pinch. And most diabetics also have friends they can give chocolate to.

Flews Dec 23, 2015 9:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25900158)

Well, he did look quite sheepish when he made the connection.

My wife loves chocolates, and I got the credit, so no harm no foul.

Cheers,

Wingtipflyer1 Dec 23, 2015 10:53 am

Read the thread a few days ago & thought- I won't get one...

Got one this morning! Thanks so much SPG! Hit 50 nights this year.

stewlevine Dec 23, 2015 11:56 am

Lifetime gold; 92 nights this year - received them Monday night. No indication whether it was for this year or the accumulated years.

MSPeconomist Dec 24, 2015 2:33 pm

Mine were delivered today.

Thank you Starwood Santa.