FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [GONE] New Orleans Airport Four Points, left SPG Nov 2014 [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/172675-gone-new-orleans-airport-four-points-left-spg-nov-2014-master-thread.html)

kathnunley Feb 9, 2005 1:02 pm

I know this has been brought up several times on this board, but again, I think inconsistancy in the 4Points is Starwood's weakest link. It's a bit of a crap shoot when you book one. You can get a GREAT hotel - Like the Four Points Winnipeg Airport, by far one of my favorite hotels of any chain...or some real beaten down spots, like this poster found.
I am top tier with both Hilton and Starwood and while I prefer Starwood for many reasons, I'll have to say that at least when you book Hilton's low rung, the Hampton Inn, you pretty much know what you'll be getting.....they are fairly consistent.

William, I know Starwood is aware of this. Are they making some kind of effort to bring consistancy to this chain?

(and FWIW, I too have found some pretty nice hotel rooms in New Orleans...some at a reasonable price)

Starwood Lurker Feb 9, 2005 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by kathnunley
...William, I know Starwood is aware of this. Are they making some kind of effort to bring consistancy to this chain?

Remember Hoyt Harper III? The man who invented Starwood Preferred Guest out of the remains of Sheraton Club International (SCI) and Westin Premier?

He is now in charge of the Four Points by Sheraton brand and, from what I hear, is aggressively changing the aspects of the brand.

But, Rome wasn't built overnight. ;)

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.

iahphx Feb 9, 2005 9:25 pm

FWIW, I stayed at the MSY 4points a couple of months ago. I found it to be your typical mediocre mid-priced airport hotel. Location seemed a bit far to the airport however. Biggest annoyance was a long (over a half hour) wait for the shuttle bus to pick me up. Room seemed standard for the brand. A nice touch was the free morning donuts in the lobby. The morning shuttle driver was courteous and helpful, and upon my request drove me directly to the rental car lot (instead of dumping me at the terminal to take another shuttle bus) where I was picking up a car.

777 global mile hound Feb 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
If it's any consolation, there are ZERO good hotels in the entire city of New Orleans.

It's strange - that a city so full of hotels can have absolutely nothing to offer the guests. Seriously, this is a major citywide problem. The hotels are all beaten down, the management has a prison warden attitude, the prices are high, and the employees are bottom of the barrel in just about everything they do.

But I haven't tried the W yet, that's supposed to be nice.

New Orleans has numerous good choices.Do your homework :)
There are number of good Starwood properties in New Orleans
Both W properties do a good job with a lean IMO towards the Poydras
And the Sheraton on Canal which does a vey satisfactory job.
The Sheraton can be a very busy property at times.
Also a very stellar choice next to the W Poydras and out of the Starwood family of hotels
the lengendary Winsor Court(considered one of the nations finast) and a New Ritz Carlton in town in the last year or two. The Hilton Riverside also does a great job for elites with Plasma TVs in what perhaps is the best run club lounge in the entire city.All complimentary.The spread impressive and generous. And if a non convention event time can have superior pricing and value with a number of river views much like the former Westin Canal Place now a Wyndham.There are also other excellent properties in the city some that aren't as widely known as the big major brands.But still known brands.

gatorboy Feb 27, 2008 6:56 am

Any Post-Katrina Updates?

Any recent experiences here? Have an early Saturday flight in April after a meeting in CBD where I'll stay at Westin for stay credit and Ritz for actual meeting location. Meeting ends Friday with dinner so I'd just be heading from FQ, CBD or Warehouse District to hotel. Don't have to worry about getting back to town for anything. Go to sleep, wake up, shower and leave at 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. I could pretty much tolerate a Motel 6 or Super 8 in a situation like this - at least if they had better pillows. Thoughts?

Many thanks.

fly co to see the yanks Apr 1, 2008 7:55 am

i don't have any experiences at this property...but, just the words "four points new orleans airport" scares me. ;)

Samiam Apr 1, 2008 8:27 pm

I booked here in Oct 2007

but wife flipped out driving into town - so we added a night to the Sheraton instead. I wouldnt advise staying here if there is another option

mcgahat Jul 22, 2008 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Samiam (Post 9504301)
but wife flipped out driving into town - so we added a night to the Sheraton instead. I wouldnt advise staying here if there is another option

No, this is not the best hotel for visiting the downtown or quarter unless it is just a quick overnight.

mcgahat Jul 22, 2008 11:20 am

My experience 1 Night July 22

***Edited - May stay was July 21 2008*** I coudnt change the title.

I had a flight out the next day about noon and wanted to return to the rental car the evening before so I would not have to pay and extra day and also to get a weekend rate and thus saving my client money. I am SPG plat currently.

Called the hotel from the ground transportation center and asked to be picked up. The person said it would be 15 minutes and the shuttle showed up about 20 mintues later. The drive was about 10-15 minutes to the hotel.

Check in, quick and friendly and was advised up and upgrade to a deluxe room.

The room was a typical 3 star four points room. A little rusty in spots but the furnishing are fine but nothing to write home about for sure. A small sofa with chair and ottoman. I assume that is what makes it a deluxe. Only one elevator working when I was there and that made for longer waits for the elevator during peak times.

After arriving to my room I received a knock on the door and a guy delivered a hand written card thanking me for being plat and staying at the hotel along with 2 drink coupons. I also received a phone call shortly after asking if I was happy with my room and I was. I did not see any wired internet in the room only wireless and was fast enough for my needs. They also have a computer in the lobby.

There is a bar called the Mix which is nice but keep in mind the bar area is smoking and with low ceilings non smokers will get a headache. There is a little lounge area in the mix which I "think" is non smoking so you may just want to order your drinks at the bar and just sit out there. The restaurant next door to the bar is non smoking for sure. I had a drink of my choice with the drink vouchers and I also ate at the bar. The food was really good and the menu had some really good choices also. I had avoid staying there on the weekend as I had read a report on Tripadvisor that the weekends get a little rowdy in the bar area but the bartender who was very experienced in the hotel industry having worked at a few places told me the weekends are actually pretty quiet as they get a lot of biz traffic during the week. I was happy with everything except the smoking in the bar.

I had breakfast int the restaurant and had the buffet. It was $13 and included an omelet and waffle station with some other standard choices but nothing special. I was just looking for an omelet and toast so filled my needs as coffee and juice are included and wouldnt be if you selected a menu item. Food was "ok" but service was excellent.

I had scheduled the return to the airport with the front desk and while sitting at the lobby a guy came through asking who was scheduled for 11am to the airport and told me he is bringing the van around now. I was the only pax and we left at 10.55am and the return took about 10 minutes.

I didnt touch the pool or the fitness areas but did see the pool from my window and it actually looked good size and didnt have anyone there. There is a pancake restaurant and thai restaurant along with a tj maxx in a strip mall next door. If you have a car there are several dining options with a couple of miles.

All in all it is an airport four points so lets not get our hopes up too much and given that you can get some cheap rates here it is a decent option and I would definitely return.

mcgahat Oct 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Ok, so I returned to this property and what a difference. I did not get the knock on the door with any additional goodies on this trip and the restaurant was horrible. They did not have several items available at dinner and it took a very long time to get food for not only dinner and breakfast the next morning. One hour to get some eggs at breakfast is tooo long. I may stay at this property again to see if this was a one off experience but will look to stay at the Sheraton if the rate is reaonable.

soonerfanatic Apr 24, 2010 8:03 am

Complete dump

Currently staying here after our late night flight, thank god I am checking out today.

Booked a King non smoking.

Upon check in, they tried to put me in a double. I pulled out my res showing King, they put us in a King smoking. I know the property says 100% non-smoking, this room had such a stench, and was on the side of the hotel without the non smoking signs on each door.

Ended up in a double on the "non" smoking side, still smelled the stench of smoke.

If you don't smoke and are easily disturbed by smoke smell, avoid at all costs.

By far, this is Starwood's worst property. Complete dump, rude employees so far.

777 global mile hound Apr 24, 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic (Post 13834329)
Currently staying here after our late night flight, thank god I am checking out today.

Booked a King non smoking.

Upon check in, they tried to put me in a double. I pulled out my res showing King, they put us in a King smoking. I know the property says 100% non-smoking, this room had such a stench, and was on the side of the hotel without the non smoking signs on each door.

Ended up in a double on the "non" smoking side, still smelled the stench of smoke.

If you don't smoke and are easily disturbed by smoke smell, avoid at all costs.

By far, this is Starwood's worst property. Complete dump, rude employees so far.

I stayed there once during an emergency when the city was evacuating. Was only there for about a total of 4 hours in the middle of the night.
Had been luckily upgraded so I probably fared better than most. Based on your post I was curious to see what the overall approval rating is here. It stands around half of the guests satisfied half not satisfied. Considering most Starwood properties on average range almost 25% better or up
Would have to say there is considerable room for improvement

The restaurant was closed during my visit and we had nothing to eat until we connected through another city as even the airport had no open facilities and was closing to the flying public that day.There was no hotel shuttle as they had a skeleton crew. I had to hire a chauffeured limousine to the airport. I had been paying 30 dollars a night less at the Westin Canal Place previously which was and continues to be an outstanding property.

I would have reported some of this to Starwood however I felt being upgraded during a mandatory evacuation of the city in a sold out hotel (they even found a room for me with no availability day of arrival) was heroic enough so I forgave some other sins that I normally would not normally overlook.
Having not been there in some time it sounds like the hotel may be facing some tough times.I will never forget despite some negatives here the heartfelt team (don't know if its the same team) who even during an emergency made sure that my loyalty to SPG was recognized.Fot that this property will always remain ok with me even if it becomes a shelter.

All in all I have never been a Four Points fan and sadly with Hyatt Place now find the 4 Points brand barely desirable other then they are affiliated with the superb SPG program.At least they have their own identity :) No one is ever going to confuse them with the Four Seasons ;)

Keyser Mar 21, 2013 3:57 am

no new reports here for the last 3 years....has anyone stayed here recently????

my wife & i will be in new orleans for 6 days in june....we are flying in on different flights during the day, mine gets in around 4pm & my wife's flight gets in around midnight....since i would have to come back to the airport to pick her up at night, i was thinking of booking this property for the first night & then move to the four points french quarter the following morning for the remaining 5 nights....does this make sense????

Keyser Mar 21, 2013 4:03 am

also, what's the immediate area like????are there any places to eat walking distance from this property????

James Luckard Oct 6, 2014 7:08 pm

Leaving Starwood on November 30, 2014

Leaving Starwood on November 30, 2014

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...ropertyID=1357