Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Denver Downtown (Formerly Tabor Center) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Denver Downtown (Formerly Tabor Center) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:00 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Were you pleased with the room, at least?
The room was fine, the only thing that bothers me is when the front desk makes a bid deal about "upgrading" you, and your room is no different than any other standard room in the building other than being at the end of the hall.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
No, things have not improved upgrade-wise. I recommend having no expectations for an upgrade. And, as has been suggested earlier in this thread, if you check in and they say something like, "Welcome SPG Platinum member, we have upgraded you to a nice suite," run out and buy a lottery ticket. Luck will truly be on your side.

The good news about this hotel, though, is that since they finished their remodel last year, all the rooms are of the new, nice Westin 'modern luxury' variety, which is hard to beat. The location is also excellent.
Well, I will go out and buy a lottery ticket then .
It wasn't without some effort and proactiveness on my part, though.

and yes... the furniture and decor is quite nice!
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, I will go out and buy a lottery ticket then .
It wasn't without some effort and proactiveness on my part, though. . .
I'm not sure talking your way into the upgrade will count, but it never hurts to test the theory. Let us know how much you win.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, UNITED 1-K
The top floor of the hotel has only specialty rooms and suites. Many of these rooms are not suites (ie, they only consist of one room), but are all quite large (averaging 600 to 1000 sq feet) and luxurious. The rooms each have different themes. I have stayed in an Asian themed room and a European themed room. While the rooms are nice, they are a little dated and could use new furniture. Guest on this penthouse floor do not receive any services that other hotel guests do not receive. It is my understanding that these rooms are used by paying guests many nights. I attend regular board meetings in Denver and my client reserves these rooms for all board members. There are no other 5 star options in the Denver Downtown area.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by andrew8198
. . . There are no other 5 star options in the Denver Downtown area.
With all due respect, I certainly disagree with that statement. The Brown Palace is every bit a 5-star hotel. While 100+ years old and the basic rooms are certainly very small, the beds are fantastic, the service is top-notch and the atmostphere cannot be beat -- in Denver or most other American cities for that matter. When it comes to counting stars, in my dozens of nights in Denver, The Brown runs circles around the Westin, but you can't be focused on the cheapest rate. If you are truly willing to pay for 5-stars, it is the only hotel in town that can deliver.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I'm not sure talking your way into the upgrade will count, but it never hurts to test the theory. Let us know how much you win.
as andrew8198 said about the top floor.. this is true about their larger size.. in comparison the standard rooms are just over 400 sq ft, which is already not bad...

anyway, I was upgraded to the top floor, and a 850 sq ft "large room" suite... the furniture in the room was all brand spankin' new and very chic, but the bathroom still had the 1980's feel and look to it.. and there was a bidet!

as for "talking my way into an u/g"... I called ahead and asked if I had been upgraded and was told that I was in a high floor (17th) corner room... I thought "ok, not bad considering how bad u/g's are at this hotel".. so when I physically presented myself for check-in at the front desk, I asked if there were any suites available and the kind lady said that if I waited a bit longer for a Platinum member to checkout, I could have a 19th (top) floor suite... FO SHIZZLE! I waited and went shopping/eating on the 16th street mall, saw a guy get arrested inside the Albertson's drugstore by five policemen, then went back to the hotel!

Anyway, thanks to everyone here who posted, I was armed with a little "proactive" intervention... ^

AZTravels... does that count? Oh well, even if it doesn't, I still won in the end
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:45 pm

Go buy a lotto ticket. I was quite disturbed by the deceptive upgrading practice for Plats at this property and guess what I have since avoided it by all means.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
I did the Tabor for two nights in December. I was given a regular boring room on an upper floor. I KNEW the hotel was dead empty due to the price of the room, the date, the skeleton crew, and the complete lack of life in both the hotel and downtown. I proceeded to interrogate everybody until I was offered a corner room. I then persisted until I got a suite. Not my idea of servicing the Platinums. They're supposed to just do this for me with zero interaction on my part. It's as if they think that we don't know how the game is played.

There is NO LOUNGE.

I stayed at this hotel ONLY because I expected the upgrade. I had a convention a couple blocks away and had to move hotels. I could have stayed at the convention hotel the whole time.

NOT impressed with the management - or the regular rooms.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, sounds like I got a really big horseshoe for this stay...
Old Nov 10, 2005, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Denver Westin Tarbor airport shuttle

Is there a Westin shuttle bus from/to DIA from the Westin and anybody knows there schedule?

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
There is a shuttle from the Westin Tabor Center to DEN but I'm not sure of the schedule. I'm pretty certain its not complimentary.

The only thing that I remember is that the first trip out is 6am and since I had a 6am flight I had to take the $65 cab ride!
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PE, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Thank you for your advice. The shuttle bus is not free but I found a cheaper way to get to and from DIA. Two blocks from the hotel is the TRD Market Station. There is a bus that runs hourly from the station to the airport for $8. The bus is the GreyHound type bus, clean & comfortable.

Thanks,
Old Nov 17, 2005, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The Westin Denver Tabor Center uses Super Shuttle to get folks to DIA.

The cost is $19 one way and it runs every 30 minutes.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:43 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I am in the Westin Tabor Center right now and this is the last time I will be staying here.

Essentially ALL THE ROOMS ARE THE SAME except for 6 suites. I had the good fortune to get a suite last year and it was no prize, just 2 adjoining standard rooms with sofas in one room instead of a bed.

I was assigned to a "premium" room today on the 19th floor which was exactly the same size as any other room, but it lacked the "fainting sofa" which almost all standard rooms have and the (old) chair lacked the usual fake leather ottoman. I chose to "downgrade" to a corner room on the 8th floor which did turn out to have the "fainting sofa" and the ottoman.

I had it from the front office mgr as well as the plt concierge that there are only 6 suites and that they are almost never available for an upgrade.

Sorry SPG, but even though this hotel is very well located the prospect of never getting a nice room here is not very appealing. The gouged walls on every floor, drab carpets, and the open doors to filthy supply closets on the way to my $259 standard, non upgradeable room have made my mind up...NO MORE TABOR CENTER WESTIN. This property seems more like a Sheraton and the 4 Diamond award plaques they display at the front desk are a joke.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
Will Starwood compete with Hyatt in Denver?

My experiences at the Westin Tabor Center have also been very disappointing. The property is shockingly pooly kept, service is poor, and the price is high for the value.

I wonder if *wood will decide to compete with the new Hyatt convention center in downtown Denver? The rooms look nice on the website.

I would like to be loyal to *wood, but I always have great experiences at the Grand Hyatt in downtown Denver - club floor, mountain view rooms, diamond treatment. The rooms are recently rennovated and the beds are almost as good as Westin.

Given the poor conditions at the Westin Tabor Center, and their competition, they need to step it up to get my business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.