Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Resort Charge Policy

A Resort Fee of 30 USD USD $33.00, plus at 4.62 resort fee tax [as of May 22] per night is applied to each room which provides the following benefits:
  • Complimentary bottle of water in your guest room
  • Beach Welcome basket to include bottled water and fresh fruit
  • Access to two beach chairs and towel service on the beach
  • Access to the 24-hour Fitness Center
  • Complimentary local and domestic long distance telephone calls
  • Spa discount of 15% (not valid with other offers)
  • Complimentary morning newspapers Monday - Friday
Print Wikipost

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Either of you have photos?
Pervert.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I haven't stayed at this property yet, but is it as bad as the Four Points Miami Beach?

I wanted to try a night here, but with every new post I'm less interested in booking this property.

Starwood cannot seem to get it together in S. Florida.
You think the 4P is bad? Try staying at the Holiday Inn next door. Ugh.

Hard to find a reasonably priced hotel in SoBe. You want something nice you gotta pay up.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Are Plats treated very well here? I have a conference at the Loews next door and I'm thinking of staying here instead. The Loews is comparably priced for the dates I'm looking at (within $25-50/night difference), and my pref is to stay at the conference hotel, but I would switch to the Royal Palm if there's a strong possibility of superior treatment.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ralphs
Are Plats treated very well here? I have a conference at the Loews next door and I'm thinking of staying here instead. The Loews is comparably priced for the dates I'm looking at (within $25-50/night difference), and my pref is to stay at the conference hotel, but I would switch to the Royal Palm if there's a strong possibility of superior treatment.
Stay at the Loews. It's nicer and has a nicer gym too. The Royal Palm doesn't treat Plats much different than others.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Stay at Loews. This property can be real bad (see my review above) and doesn't seem to have improved. This is from a Starwood loyalist
Old May 5, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Platinum

No. They don't care.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
We got a suite and were treated well. Especially at the lobby bar.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by jmkclee
We got a suite and were treated well. Especially at the lobby bar.
Good to hear. Would be nice if they started to care - hotel is in a great location. Did they waive resort & breakfast up-charge fees for you?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Good to hear. Would be nice if they started to care - hotel is in a great location. Did they waive resort & breakfast up-charge fees for you?
Unfortunately, no. But we thought the continental was perfectly fine including cheeses & hard boiled eggs. Smoked salmon, too. We were on points; resort fee not waived, which I knew going in. We also arrived late (9pm) so none of the room not ready issues. Very pleasant woman checked us in.

Free bikes which we used every day.

Lower pool got shaded by around 2 pm in January.

Beach chairs free, umbrellas were $19 each.

Bartender (he said he was winter only) was awesome.

I did a review earlier in this thread with more details. We had a perfectly lovely stay and I would not hesitate to stay there again. Did have an issues with points not being credited correctly but SPG corrected it.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation ⚠⚠⚠ There is nothing more that I can say! ⚠⚠⚠

Please note the resort fee is $33.00, plus at 4.62 resort fee tax. 👎🏽
Old May 23, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
If the resort fee is compulsory then :-

"Complimentary bottle of water in your guest room"
"Complimentary morning newspapers Monday - Friday"
"Complimentary local and domestic long distance telephone calls"

Is false advertising, they aren't complimentary, they are charging for them.

Assuming USA has good consumer protection / misleading advertisment laws, then someone should contact the appropriate bodies and advise that things can not be advertised as complimentary if they are supplied as part of a compulsory charge.

That's like having an all A/C hotel that charges a compulsory nightly "$20 comfort fee" that includes complimentary A/C.

Last edited by tangey; May 23, 2017 at 6:27 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:31 pm

This place is strange. It is in the best location in Miami Beach (steps from Lincoln Road + beachfront + walkable to SoBe proper). For my friend and I who weren't on a super luxe budget ($300 per night including taxes/fees), that's what we were looking for.

Strange things:
1) Each room is presented with a "towel card" for the beach and the pool. This card keeps track of the towels you use and you're charged a fee if you lose your towels (would be shocked if they enforced this). I guess it's a way for them to save money on laundry, while also keeping out people who are not staying at the hotel. It just cheapens the entire experience. I've stayed at the Loews next door and they have a security guard planted by the pool to check everyone's keys, which seems to work well. It sat very poorly with me.

2) I was upgraded to a 1BR suite with my SPG Gold status. Super awkward layout, but I think that's due to it being a historic property? Regardless, it was nice to have the extra room, but there is a lot of wasted space. Room itself is decorated totally fine with nothing to write home about. No shower cap in the bathroom, which irked me. I'm sure I could have asked the front desk/housekeeping for one, but it is a good example how this place does not offer any extra amenities.

Staff was overall nice and efficient. Beach staff (unaffiliated with the hotel) is always very good. Every hotel uses the same company and I've always been pleased. If I forget my dry bag to go in the ocean (investing in one is my top Miami tip!), I usually tip the staff well to keep an extra eye out on my stuff.

If you're looking for a budget-ish hotel in the best location in Miami, this does the job.

That being said, I've stayed at neighboring Kimpton Surfcomber, Loews and 1 Hotel (way back when it was owned by Gansevoort). I would definitely consider all three over this place, with Loews being by far the best and Surfcomber as the best bang for your buck (with very small rooms).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
The last reviewer’s post is very accurate. To summarize, the hotel’s location is top-notch but the overall feel of the property is more Sheraton and less upscale boutique. At 12,000 points/night, however, the price was right.

Stayed Saturday-Monday in December 2017 for a weekend getaway. Quick review:

Check-In: SPG Gold, and had requested an early check-in on Saturday AM – no line at the desk, but no room was ready when we arrived at the property. They gave us towel card (more on that later) so we could use the pool while we waited. Room finally available around 2:30pm, and they brought bags up to the room for us from luggage storage. We were also granted a 3pm late checkout (not the 4pm guaranteed for Golds since this is a resort property).

Room: Typical Miami feel (white, mirrors, hard tiled floor). The room was small even though we were in one of the modern construction towers. Bathroom fan cover was broken, and bathroom smelled a little moldy. Furniture, though still OK, showed signs of wear. This property used to be The James, and you got the feeling they took it over without making any changes or updates. My girlfriend commented that the toiletries brand was very high-quality. Great shower pressure.

Pool / Facilities: Two pools, one on the main level and a “postage stamp” sized one on the second floor. We used the second-floor pool exclusively because it’s quieter/less rowdy, and because it gets sun a bit longer (until 2:30pm in December). Towel assistants are friendly and efficient. But as the earlier reviewer said, the “towel card” system makes the hotel feel like a Holiday Inn Express – you really don’t trust me to not steal the towels? Just cheapens the experience. Cocktail service on the second floor depended entirely on the day (aka which server was working) – fast one day, almost non-existent another. Beers at $7 are a pretty good deal for Miami Beach, IMO. We didn’t use the beach service. Gym was above-average, with good equipment, a view of the pool, and not too cramped in size.

Restaurants: Didn’t try the food, but the second-floor restaurant is next to the pool and serves only breakfast (buffet). The downstairs restaurant is attached to the pool bar and seemed primarily lunch/snack focused. There is a coffee bar in the lobby that was nice to have and reasonably priced. The lobby gift shop also sells bottled drinks and some light snacks.

Location: As stated above, the location is about as good as it gets. In the best part of South Beach, above the Ocean Drive section and below Lincoln Road. Right next door to the Loews. If you don’t want to deal with the hotel breakfast, head three blocks up Collins to Maxine’s Bistro and sit outside, as we did. Very pleasant. For lunch, grab a sandwich at La Sandwicherie two blocks south by Walgreens.

Overall: At 12K points per night (or a decent cash rate), this place makes sense. You’re in the middle of the action, and though it’s not too nice, it’s not too bad either. You get the feeling they bought the James on the cheap, did a minimal amount of work, and installed a middle-of-the-road staff that doesn’t feel like going the extra mile, but isn’t indifferent. I’d go back, but not with any expectation of a higher-end boutique hotel experience.

PS As others have mentioned, the resort fee of $33 plus tax is a joke. Bottled water, newspapers in the lobby, pool towels, and a couple of bikes doesn’t cut it. It’s nuts that places are still getting away with these resort fees.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Why

I don’t know why I keep coming back here. But each time it never fails to disappoint. Check in is always a disaster. This time we got our room keys, an upgraded room which is nice, went up to our room and our keys did not work. We call downstairs and they said they be right up. 25 minutes later no one had showed up. So I went back downstairs and got a manager and made him walk upstairs with me and open our door. This simply shouldn’t happen.

The pool is crazy. Small and tough to get chairs. A bit of a shady crowd these days.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Dear Mod,

please change the title of this thread to actual property name.

it doesn't belong to Luxury Collection portfolio, and never will.

thank you
JBauer and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.