Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Cupertino, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:39 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Having to log back in (last name/room details) every couple of hours with your device (once in the morning and once at night) is rather silly with a multi-night stay, but I guess that's par for the course. You would think they would have tackled this by now.

Some (many?) rooms do not have bathtubs, at least not the one that I originally got, and the drain for the sink and the bathtub is absurdly slow.

All-in-all, not bad. Be prepared to leave before 7:30am if you're headed up 85 to 101/280/Shoreline and you're driving solo.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:13 am

Recent experiences?

Hi folks,

Any recent experiences to relate with the Cupertino Aloft? Need a place to stay for 3 nights in the bay area / south bay. Am a Plat Ambassador. Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:09 am

Hi, I'm also interested in more current reviews of this hotel.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:52 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
It's obvious they're engaging in some cost cutting measures:

Single bottle of water in the room (down from two)
Towels not refreshed when left on the floor (just taken away)

I've also noticed that they are instituting a 3 and 4 night minimum stay - if you check in on Sunday, you can check out on Wednesday. If you check in on Monday, you can check out on Friday. If you try to book Mon-Thurs you will get a message saying there are no rooms available.

At this point they might as well call it the Apple hotel. Apple people are exempted from the above reservation requirements.

I'm looking forward to when the Westin San Jose finally becomes a reality...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by glx
At this point they might as well call it the Apple hotel. Apple people are exempted from the above reservation requirements.

I'm looking forward to when the Westin San Jose finally becomes a reality...
It was built from Day 1 as an Apple Hotel, it's completely surrounded by Apple. I am sure Apple primarily keeps it full.

In fact, the should probably just rename it iLoft.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:59 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by whimike
It was built from Day 1 as an Apple Hotel, it's completely surrounded by Apple. I am sure Apple primarily keeps it full.

In fact, the should probably just rename it iLoft.
hah! entirely true, though.

It wouldn't be so bad except Apple is also spilling over into nearby hotels, causing general gridlock in the area. Not a bad problem for the franchisees to have, but something's gotta give.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:38 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Really wish SPG would open another option along El Camino.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by KPT
Really wish SPG would open another option along El Camino.
The only thing close that will be opening will be The Aloft Sunnyvale
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
Keyless and Botlr

I stayed here last night and was keen to try out both the Keyless experience and the robot butler - Botlr.

I was able to set up keyless on my iPhone easily and on the morning of the reservation I got a notification that I'd been checked in and my key was ready. When I launched the application to check the "key" there was another message saying I had to stop by the welcome desk first. I assume this was because the room wasn't actually ready at that time - when I looked again later in the day, the message had disappeared.

When I arrived at the property I walked right past the welcome desk and started looking for my room. I went straight in the elevator and used the "key" in the app to operate the elevator. It was only then that I realized that my room was likely on the first floor and so I didn't need the elevator. As it turned out, this wasn't so bad because on my trip back down I was joined by the Botlr and a couple of engineers. The Botlr got in the elevator and avoided everyone, there was a message on the screen that it was going back to the first floor. I chatted a bit with the engineers, who were on site to "replace a connector". It sounded like there are still some issues with the unit and they're working out the problems. When we got to the first floor the robot exited the elevator and avoided obstacles to return to its home location by the main doors. It's very cool to see it maneuvering around. Everyone refers to it as "he" and it seems like it has a bit of a programmed personality.

I eventually found my room - the way to the first floor rooms doesn't seem that well sign posted - something that would be solved by an in-person check-in as no doubt you'd be told which way to go to the room. Perhaps a suggestion for an app enhancement would be a map of the interior of the property and how to get to one's room. With Bluetooth LE beacons, the user's location on the map could be shown to help navigation.
Opening the room door took a little time of holding the phone next to the lock, but once I heard the click I knew the door was unlocked - it's definitely slower than using a card though as it took a few seconds to work. Note that when using an iPhone 6/6 Plus, the lock will activate Apple Pay because of the NFC in the lock. A potential source of confusion to some people I expect.

The room itself was fine - exactly what I'd expect from an Aloft, perhaps a bit bigger. No complaints on that regard. I didn't try out using the Apple TV in the room, but there were instructions on how to use it. I was pleased to see all the channels on the TV were HD.

After a morning run, I tried to use keyless again to get back in my room and it took a couple of attempts to get it to work. The first time, the light flashed away, but nothing happened. I had to back out of the keyless section of the app, re-enter and then try again. That time it worked, but again took a few seconds of holding the phone by the lock for the unlocking to happen.

I tried to have Botlr deliver me a bottle of water. I didn't need the water, I just wanted to try it out. Unfortunately a human ended up delivering it as the Botlr "doesn't work in the morning" - the notice in the room said its hours were 7am to 11pm, so it should have been working. I'm not sure why it wasn't available. I ended up being double billed for the water, which I'm sure will get cleaned up.

Overall seems like a nice property. Keyless and the Botlr both seem like demos of the technology for now, the basic concept is there, but needs polishing for it to be truly a mass-market product.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I had to be in the area recently for an early meeting... The public rates at this property are ludicrous! Consistently over $400/night.

The hotel is fine. Starting to look a little bit worn in the rooms but service was solid and it was very quiet, even tho nearly full.

Got one of the breakfast bowls in the morning. Fast and well prepared.

Very clearly an Apple hotel. My room looked into the Apple office building next door.

No complaints but clearly $200 of the rate is for location alone.

At least there was free parking.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Had a chance to stay here again on a night when the rate was over $500! So insane.

This time was a little bumpier. I was using a Cat 5 cert and booked day of arrival. By the time I arrived, the reservation had completely disappeared from the front desk system. Luckily, I had called ahead to reconfirm everything an hour before I arrived which gave the clerk time to investigate.

No matter what he did, he could not find the reservation. Eventually, he was able to locate the request for mobile keys in that system and rebuild the reservation based on the details there. This led to difficulties checking out but a manager resolved everything quickly.

I was upgraded but I'm not sure what type of room it was. It was definitely larger but not one of the suites shown on the website and without the "mountain view". In fact, the view was directly into the Apple offices behind the hotel. Close enough that you could almost read the papers on desks.

So overall, same impression as last time. It's fine but wildly overpriced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.