FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   SPG: Congrats! You (DO NOT) have a FRN! :( (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1221822-spg-congrats-you-do-not-have-frn.html)

ariyo15 Jun 2, 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by captain_starwood (Post 16490706)
I disagree with a number of the other posts on this chain.

The OP spent time trying to make a reservation based on the false information, and changed his planning and expectations, for which he should be compensated.

Frankly, the main thing a rewards program does is to provide marketing and program participation messages to their members. Loyalty to and participation in a program is dependent upon honest and accurate communications.

If SPG or any other rewards program wants to make sure it members continue to make choices that benefit it financially, it needs to compensate them for significant mistakes and miscommunication that cost time and money.

Thanks Captain!!

As much as I'd like to agree with you though, I think there's little to be done. Yea, 1k points would be nice, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

violist Jun 2, 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ariyo15 (Post 16488419)
The other day I received an email informing me that I "currently have 1 Free Resort Night Awards available to redeem."

All excited (thinking I must have miscounted), I jump to the phone to book it for a weekend getaway to Whistler; only to be told by the agent that I was one of 2,003 SPG customers to be wrongly told they have a FRN to redeem. In fact, I do NOT have a said night.

Originally Posted by ariyo15 (Post 16488476)
Hahah, I understand. Oh well... at least I've earned a few already and will be earning (at least) one more before the promo's up.

Am I missing something here? "A few" should be enough to
reserve a w/e at Whistler.

The OP spent time trying to make a reservation based on the false information, and changed his planning and expectations, for which he should be compensated.

I figure that the amount of time wasted by the OP was not in
excess of, say, 10 minutes. Suggesting s/he request compensation
for a trivial mistake is part of what makes FT so great. Not.

That said, the mistake should not have been made in the
first place.

ariyo15 Jun 2, 2011 9:12 am

Originally Posted by violist (Post 16490792)
Am I missing something here? "A few" should be enough to
reserve a w/e at Whistler.

Yes and no. Haha. I used my four (that I've already earned) for part of my honeymoon in Bali. Three nights paid at the STR, and four nights FREE at the W. I was hoping (since I'll be moving to YVR in two weeks from PHL and having never been to the mts out there) to have a nice little w/e getaway in Whistler courtesy of SPG. Not to worry, I think I might earn another one or two, so I'll use those.

I figure that the amount of time wasted by the OP was not in
excess of, say, 10 minutes.

Hmm... 10 minutes?? :rolleyes: Yea.... sure. Haha

That said, the mistake should not have been made in the
first place.

At the end of the day, I agree. But like I said earlier... What are you gonna do?

craz Jun 2, 2011 9:18 am

Frankly, the main thing a rewards program does is to provide marketing and program participation messages to their members. Loyalty to and participation in a program is dependent upon honest and accurate communications.

If SPG or any other rewards program wants to make sure it members continue to make choices that benefit it financially, it needs to compensate them for significant mistakes and miscommunication that cost time and money.

well if your bank made a mistake and gave you an extra say $10,000 and you saw it and went and immediately spent it , you can be prosecuted for doing so if you dont have the funds to repay it then and there, and they will say teh person should ahve known. Ok maybe if their balance is usually in the 6 figures, but if its usually in 3 - 4 figures alot of humhuming will be going on

Pt is I dont believe a person doesnt know they only had say 2 nights so far or 8 nights and if the see somehow an extra free night was in their acct why go use it, unless they are hopibng to get away with something. Especially when its only 2 nights , really hard to say I didnt realize I didnt have 3 already, 8 & 9 better chance you lost count but even then not too many will

IMO no one is owed anything more then a "Sorry we messed up"

BJG22 Jun 2, 2011 9:27 am

I agree. If Sheraton knew what they were doing and made an effort to send an email to lead the OP to believe he's entitled to redeem a free night then they must compensate. They just can't send emails to mislead customers then say 'Opps! it's a mistake'. I believe the OP was misled and deserve a free night. I would write a letter to Sheraton about this. They have to give you something for false and misleading they caused.

notquiteaff Jun 2, 2011 9:34 am

[QUOTE=sunk818;16489048]. . . where did the OP mention the word "website"?

sunk818 Jun 2, 2011 9:44 am

where did the OP mention the word "website"?
You're right, OP said email, not web site. :) Maybe it was a mistake to say web site. Do you know something I don't? Regardless, there is a negative outcome for a possible 2,300 customers.

mtacchi Jun 2, 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by sunk818 (Post 16491058)
You're right, OP said email, not web site. :) Maybe it was a mistake to say web site. Do you know something I don't? Regardless, there is a negative outcome for a possible 2,300 customers.

email.. like this

Beach or golf? Ski or spa? The choice is yours.
Congratulations on your Free Resort Night Award.

Congratulations on earning 1 Free Resort Night Award(s).¹ You currently have 0 Free Resort Night Awards available to redeem.² Remember, you'll earn another award after every three stays at any of our more than 1,000 hotels and resorts until 31 July 2011. Book today so you can extend your resort getaway with more Free Resort Night Awards.

MDefl Jun 2, 2011 1:23 pm

Well, I have earned 1 night and will probably earn 2 more. I won't be able to use them so in all likelihood. Maybe I can give the OP my nights.

mahasamatman Jun 2, 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by MDefl (Post 16492516)
Maybe I can give the OP my nights.

Too bad they're not transferable...

ariyo15 Jun 2, 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by MDefl (Post 16492516)
Well, I have earned 1 night and will probably earn 2 more. I won't be able to use them so in all likelihood. Maybe I can give the OP my nights.

Hmm... PM me, we can work something out, I'm sure ;)

CPRich Jun 2, 2011 10:28 pm

and changed his planning and expectations, for which he should be compensated.

'planning and expectations'? WTH is that? Like "emotional pain and suffering" in frivolous lawsuits.

it needs to compensate them for significant mistakes and miscommunication that cost time and money.

I'm fine with compensation for "significant" mistakes. IMHO, there wasn't one here.

Perhaps "compensation" commensurate with the actual impact - like 200 pts max. And that's assuming OP is fully willing to equally "compensate" SPG back whenever OP makes an equally minor mistake.

camsean Jun 3, 2011 2:12 am

Originally Posted by sunk818 (Post 16489048)
I think an automatic addition of Starpoints (say anywhere from 100 to 1,000) to the affected accounts is reasonable.

that's what happened to me. 1000 points gratefully received

ldsant Jun 3, 2011 3:27 am

A mistake is made and many of you think compensation is due because of an honest error that has no real effect on somebody?! Especially since most of us on FT know EXACTLY how many nights we have stayed and how many rewards/awards we have earned in every program how many points we have, etc..

IMO this is an example of why hotels/airlines are so much more stingy with promos. Can't believe that there are so many who actually think there was any harm done here.

OP - Whistler has many resorts and hotels available. It is not that expensive when you go off-season e.g., Spring/Fall. Just spend a few $ if you want to stay there. Sounds like you have had the opportunity to redeem for very nice resorts. I'm just curious - what properties did you stay at and what was your average spend to get all of those free nights? Finally, were your stays "employer subsidised" or out of your own pocket?

Flews Jun 3, 2011 6:31 am

Originally Posted by ariyo15 (Post 16488490)
:( OK, I get it.

And no, I would not be the type to think that. LOL.

Guess once I started the thread there's no going back now. Alright everyone, it's poop on the OP time now.....!!! (Not too bad though, please).

Poop.

Cheers,