Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Beach Information

Please note that the area in front of the resort is a public beach. There is a strong current and we discourage guests from swimming in the ocean as there are no lifeguards on duty. Should you choose to swim in the ocean, you do so at your own risk. Please contact the resort for further information.

Seclusion Day Information: March 9, 2016

Nyepi is an important religious event in Bali and marks the beginning of the New Year in the Balinese Hindu calendar. In 2016, Nyepi falls on March 9. On Nyepi Day, from 6am to 6am the following day, all daily activities throughout Bali will stop. Shops and offices will be closed and people are not allowed to go out into the streets, engage in entertainment activities, turn on lights or make noise which may disturb others. Ngurah Rai International Airport will be closed for Nyepi Day. Neither departures nor arrivals are permitted on March 9, 2016.

There will be changes in hours of operation for our venues. There will be very little outside lighting during the night and there will be no transportation services to and from the resort. WET® (pool) is available for your enjoyment until 4pm; however, we request that you do not use the beach area or swim in the sea on Nyepi Day.

In addition, as per a new regulation of the Government of Bali, all television providers, including cable channels, will not broadcast during Nyepi Day. A collection of books is available at WIRED, and DVD movies and some table games are available upon request at Whatever/Whenever®. Starfish Bloo & Woobar will be closed on March 9, 2016; however, our fabulous In-Retreat Dining is open 24 hours, and FIRE is open until 10pm.

Please contact the resort directly for further information.
Print Wikipost

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 5:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ariyo15
Realistically, what are my chances? Anyone have an insider scoop? Also, what about photos? QF was great with villa photos, but what about these suites? Anyone seen 'em yet???
Well, I am not sure it is a insider scoop but when I was there last week end, I asked to visit a suite. First thing to note, there are only 5 of them... so considering the number of Platinum I have spotted while there, it is leaving it to high chance to score one.

Second, I think the suite are selling very well on their own. We had to make repeated attempt to visit one suite (over 3 days) and they were all fully booked on all days. I have some pictures available and will post this week end. In the meantime, I agree with QF009 voice of wisdom, if you want one, you just pay for one. This is not the property to allow much wiggling considering the low number of suite. Don't leave it to chance.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Ok, so adding to QF009 is always going to be difficult but I can share a few nuggets of information in your way and some more pictures. First of all, the resort is stunning at night, so here are a couple of shots:

Driveway

A Smokey W Sign

The Arrival UFO

Welcome Lounge (Reception)

Villa Reception

On the way to the Spa

Wooba(r)

Last edited by JohnSIN; May 6, 2011 at 7:54 am
Old May 6, 2011, 7:34 am

A few more pics of the restaurants at night

Fire

Starfishbloo

Pool at Night

Away Spa - Oxygen Bar

Away Spa - Changing Room

On the Beach
Old May 6, 2011, 7:37 am

Finally a Marvelous Suite

Living Room

Bathroom

Bedroom

Bedroom

Balcony
Old May 6, 2011, 7:48 am

So in all we had a fabulous stay in a Villa for 3 nights which was very decadent. The breakfast at Fire was much loved and foie-gras re-ordered a few times. Starfish Bloo was the favorite restaurant. We enjoyed the cooking and the wine. We mainly ordered a la carte. Loved the chocolate bonbon.

The staff was very eager and friendly, always there to please. As you expect in such a new property, there were a few hiccups which were happily forgiven considering how we enjoyed the place.

A letter detailing the Platinum benefit listed a complimentary welcome drink. In fact, it seems that everyone drinks from the juice bar in the lobby on arrival.
Daily newspapers were promised every day but we never saw the back of one. Complementary welcome amenity delivered to the room were only delivered after I requested them (a tin of orange peel soaked in chocolate + an alarm clock in an orange tin). Both these amenity were delivered after I explained that we had received nothing. To my dismay, the very nice orange peel and the alarm clock were removed from the room one morning during our breakfast. I did not intend on eating the alarm clock but the sweets would have been nice. Upon check-out, we had booked the airport transfer. A couple who was checking out at the same time as us 'stole' our car. They were just waiting for a car to the airport and boarded our car. This was promptly followed by a little moment of panic at the front desk with the staff scrambling to find us a replacement car.

Finally, the hotel provide bikes for free. We intended on cycling to Metis and asked for the bikes to be at reception at 12h45. U guessed it, it was 13:05 before we left.

All these little details are funny and I have no doubt that in due time, the hotel will find its pace and these things will be addressed.

We were very happy with the stay and as a matter of fact, will be back in about 10 days.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beta1607
-DVD/Speaker wiring wasn't properly set up when we arrived and the DVD wasn't coded to play US movies the hotel provides guests, again a bit of a let down when you want to watch a late night movie and have to have a tech come out for 40 minutes to figure out the problem. Don't they test these things when they set them up???
I was in this hotel about 3 weeks ago and although I am not excited about the property, I have to defend them here:

The DVD System in the villas is a BOSE LIFESTYLE 18 in the international (230 Volt) Version which is coded for DVD region 4. (Asia/Pacific) If you want to play US DVD's, you need to change it to "codefree" or region code 1. And I doubt that many people will know how to do that.
Old May 6, 2011, 5:55 pm

JohnSIN, great pictures!

Is the Suite nicer in the person than the photos? Also, the walls in the shower look a little... um, yucky... They are not that bad in person, are they?
Old May 6, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I'm currently in a Spectacular Ocean View Room for the weekend (upgraded from Wonderful, am PLAT).

The bathrooms aren't "yucky", the walls are quite nice in fact...and that bathroom photo shows how bright the shower/bath area is when you open the skylight (4th/5th floors only I'm guessing).

The hotel does have some issues for sure...but you can tell the staff want to learn and get past them. We've been told twice it is in 'soft opening' until August.

Power went out last night and resort went on generator...and the only thing apparently not on it is music...sure was quiet!

You can certainly see the build quality of the hotel is 4* at best...but it truly is a very nice resort if you like the W theme.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
JohnSIN, great pictures!

Is the Suite nicer in the person than the photos? Also, the walls in the shower look a little... um, yucky... They are not that bad in person, are they?
Thanks Broadwayboy,

The shower looks great. Photobucket does compress the pictures quality and the resolution looks dreadful. My original pictures are in fact a lot more attractive. The suite is very nice although not as nice as my favs at W Hong Kong... Different vibe. The living room is either a great place to throw a party with 20 friends... or a huge empty space depending on what you do with it. My choice is to go for a villa if I can, if not a suite is great. We had originally planned on the Ocean Front room for the 3rd night but we couldn't bear leaving the villa, so there we stayed. To me one of the nice element in the mix is the location of the W. Metis and Sarong are next door as well as a host of favorite restaurants, Luciola...
Old May 6, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat
Just completed an 8 night stay in the 1 brm villa at the $299 special rate.

Positives;

Really friendly and enthusiastic staff, especially at breakfast.
Woo bar for sunset cocktails
Creative cuisine in Starfish Bloo.
Bose sound system is great (ipod dock is attached). Loved listening to music at night chilling on the huge day bed.
Lots of Bliss products.
Overall loved the layout, amenities and finish of the villa and the private pool (but there were a couple of negatives I'll come onto)
Great location in Seminyak for good local restaurants and Potato Head just down the beach for more sunset cocktails (much cheaper by the way than the Woo bar)
The general open vibe and feel to the resort with the open reception and lots of comfy daybeds/chairs scattered around for chilling out.

Negatives (not many);
Those damned cobbled walkways to the villa! They really are treacherous at night especially in high heels (that's my wife not me).
Our villa was next to the 3 bedroom villas they were working on and the noise was intrusive. Some workers were also able to peak into our villa from the roof next door which was also a bit off putting.
No drinking water available by the main pool, you have to order Evian etc. Likewise in the restaurants.
Didn't really get a Plat welcome. Certainly none of the welcome gifts/letter mentioned elsewhere. The fact we were put next door to the building work of the 3 bedroom villas also suggested that they hadn't really recognised us as Plats when allocating our villa location.

They clearly are in a soft opening stage but given they only opened 2 months ago, I think they have come a long way and the staff really set out to deliver in a positive way. I wouldn't hesitate coming back here but next time we might try out the Marvellous suites. Don't get me wrong, the villas are great and need to be experienced, it's just that I like to be able to see the sea when on vacation and the villas do feel a little "closed off", which I guess is the point of course!

As others have mentioned, suite upgrades could be a bit scant due to the small number of Marvellous suites so be prepared for that.

All in all though we loved it and it was up there in experience with the W Maldives.
Old May 7, 2011, 4:51 am

deleted

Last edited by kudroz; Oct 8, 2017 at 9:11 pm
Old May 8, 2011, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by kudroz
Do PLAT get comp breakfast?
Nope
Old May 9, 2011, 6:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I was just going to ask about that....

I'm a gold (though will hit PLT by the time I get to Bali) member going to Bali for my honeymoon. I was pretty bummed to hear that, basically, they don't do upgrades.

Now though - after reading a few posts and checking the SPG site - I'm noticing Marvelous, WOW and Extreme WOW suites. Does this mean I could potentially get into one of those as an UG for my honeymoon (not to mention my being a Plat AND on a honeymoon)?? Sure, I guess I could always get crazy lucky and score a villa, but I'm not holding my breath. I would however, LOVE to get into a Marvelous or WOW suite

Realistically, what are my chances? Anyone have an insider scoop? Also, what about photos? QF was great with villa photos, but what about these suites? Anyone seen 'em yet???
Their upgrade policy is in line with any other Starwood property. Unless you are booking a suite, I would encourage you to do a few things:

Firstly, write to the hotel once you are Platinum. Very often reservations don't update the new status so they might still think you are a Gold when you check-in. In this E-Mail talk about the honeymoon and maybe they can upgrade you.
Otherwise, maybe you can see at check-in whether there is the possibility to buy up to a villa for a reduced price.

Originally Posted by JohnSIN
First of all, the resort is stunning at night, so here are a couple of shots:
Stunning indeed. Great shots, JohnSIN!
Old May 9, 2011, 6:17 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kippax
Just completed an 8 night stay in the 1 brm villa at the $299 special rate.

All in all though we loved it and it was up there in experience with the W Maldives.
But would you have payed $700 per night?

Interesting your comparison with the W Maldives. I haven't been to either but I somehow always imagined the W Maldives to be amazing.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....I would however, LOVE to get into a Marvelous or WOW suite

Realistically, what are my chances? Anyone have an insider scoop?....
I don't like your chances.

I think they don't upgrade Plats to suites. The convenient somewhat valid excuse is that they only have 4 M Suites eligible for upgrades. Wow and E-Wow are never eligible for upgrades at any W. Villas are run like a separate hotel with check in on the other side of porte-cochere and are not eligible for upgrades.

I didn't get a suite when the hotel was dead and website was showing multiple M Suites for booking. In a way, Plats are like Gold at this property. The property was designed where most rooms have ocean view. My estimate, by walking around, is about 90% of rooms have ocean view. Golds will have an excellent chance of being bumped up to ocean view, while Plats are practically guaranteed one. OTOH, they have no junior suite, only 4 Marvelous Suites which I doubt any Plats will be upgraded into. They don't have any lounge for Plats and don't offer breakfast either.

The resort is still a nice property. The villas are very private with local feel. OTOH, the main hotel can be in Kauai, albeit a nice one in Kauai.

Last edited by TerryK; May 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.