FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   upgrading a starfriend rate? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1152857-upgrading-starfriend-rate.html)

kaka Nov 25, 2010 10:16 am

upgrading a starfriend rate?

after some calculations tonight i found that starfriend rate, when available almost always beats C+P(the points portion of the C+P almost covers the *fd rate already.....). they both do not earn *Pts anyway

So I'm wondering whether or not can i use my *Pts for room upgrades with a starfriend rate(IF i can get that rate)?

leo-chan Nov 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 15282553)
after some calculations tonight i found that starfriend rate, when available almost always beats C+P(the points portion of the C+P almost covers the *fd rate already.....). they both do not earn *Pts anyway

So I'm wondering whether or not can i use my *Pts for room upgrades with a starfriend rate(IF i can get that rate)?

"STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST (SPG)
Friends and family members who participate in SPG and are paying for a StarFRND rate will not earn Starpoints or airline miles for the StarFRND rate itself, but may earn points on their eligible incidentals. Friends and family members can earn Starpoints when paying any other qualifying rate."

StarFRND, like StarHOT and StarPRO, are not qualifying rates, hence does not entitle you to Plat benefits whatsoever.

upgrade.me Nov 25, 2010 2:54 pm

If the property is willing to upgrade for an additional dollar amount, you should be able to use your points to pay for it as instant rewards. [1,500pts = $20]

mlad1101 Nov 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by leo-chan (Post 15285262)
Friends and family members who participate in SPG and are paying for a StarFRND rate will not earn Starpoints or airline miles for the StarFRND rate itself, but may earn points on their eligible incidentals. Friends and family members can earn Starpoints when paying any other qualifying rate."

StarFRND, like StarHOT and StarPRO, are not qualifying rates, hence does not entitle you to Plat benefits whatsoever.

I don't see him asking anything about plat benefits at all:confused:

He is asking if he can use star points to upgrade his room on this rate. (Which is not status related whatsoever.)

kaka Nov 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by upgrade.me (Post 15285338)
If the property is willing to upgrade for an additional dollar amount, you should be able to use your points to pay for it as instant rewards. [1,500pts = $20]

So it depends on the hotel? Hmmm... and it depends on whether the hotel accepts a paid upgrade for my rate or not then?>..

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 15285749)
I don't see him asking anything about plat benefits at all:confused:

He is asking if he can use star points to upgrade his room on this rate. (Which is not status related whatsoever.)

I was left clueless for a sec... then realized i wasnt the only one, lol...

Starwood Lurker II Nov 25, 2010 6:46 pm

You would have to enquire upon check-in at the property if they are able to offer upgrades using your Starpoints. It would be entirely up to the property in this case.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

jimmychang Nov 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Should be eligible for benefits

Originally Posted by leo-chan (Post 15285262)

I think you are confused about these 2. It's the booking channels that decide if the elite benefits would be offer, not the rate itself. So only 4B.4.(a) is not eligible for benefits but (b),(c),(d),(e) should be even though you don't earn points as benefits are still offered in award stays.

4C.6. Platinum Members are not eligible for any in-hotel benefits when booking pre-paid or other third-party rates through third party channels, such as, but not limited to the channels listed in the definition of Eligible Rate;

4B.4.
An “Eligible Rate” is the rate you pay for your room, but excludes:

(a) rooms where the booking is made by a agent or third party and you pay for that booking either at the hotel or directly to such third party, such as tour operators, and third party channels, including, but not limited to priceline.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, hrn.com, hotwire.com, lastminute.com, site59.com, orbitz.com, travelocity.com, cheaptickets.com, quickbook.com, travelweb.com, lodging.com, yahootravel.com, and travel.msn.com;

(b) room rates for group commercial or group leisure bookings where rooms are booked as part of a conference or organized tour that is either master billed or paid at tour operator rates or where the bookings for six or more rooms are linked;

(c) room rates that are master billed or paid at tour operator rates, wholesaler rates, including STARnet, STARPRO rates, and crew room rates;

(d) employee rates and friends and family rates;

(e) complimentary rooms (including, but not limited to, any Free Night Awards earned through the Program or otherwise) and other rooms reserved using Starpoints, including, rooms through the Program’s Cash and Points Award room rate.

MilesTalk Nov 25, 2010 10:22 pm

Except...

I think you forgot to bold the portion of your own post that disagrees with your summation ;-) I have bolded, underlined, and italicized the relevant T&C line that does show he is ineligible for Plat benefits - although as another poster pointed out, that wasn't even the OPs question :)

Originally Posted by jimmychang (Post 15287408)
I think you are confused about these 2. It's the booking channels that decide if the elite benefits would be offer, not the rate itself. So only 4B.4.(a) is not eligible for benefits but (b),(c),(d),(e) should be even though you don't earn points as benefits are offered in award stays.

4C.6. Platinum Members are not eligible for any in-hotel benefits when booking pre-paid or other third-party rates through third party channels, such as, but not limited to the channels listed in the definition of Eligible Rate;

4B.4.
An “Eligible Rate” is the rate you pay for your room, but excludes:

(a) rooms where the booking is made by a agent or third party and you pay for that booking either at the hotel or directly to such third party, such as tour operators, and third party channels, including, but not limited to priceline.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, hrn.com, hotwire.com, lastminute.com, site59.com, orbitz.com, travelocity.com, cheaptickets.com, quickbook.com, travelweb.com, lodging.com, yahootravel.com, and travel.msn.com;

(b) room rates for group commercial or group leisure bookings where rooms are booked as part of a conference or organized tour that is either master billed or paid at tour operator rates or where the bookings for six or more rooms are linked;

(c) room rates that are master billed or paid at tour operator rates, wholesaler rates, including STARnet, STARPRO rates, and crew room rates;

(e) complimentary rooms (including, but not limited to, any Free Night Awards earned through the Program or otherwise) and other rooms reserved using Starpoints, including, rooms through the Program’s Cash and Points Award room rate.

jimmychang Nov 25, 2010 11:40 pm

What the heck?

Do you still not understand eligible rate means eligibilithy for point accumulation not eligibility for elite benefits. That's what I'm trying to point out. ONLY (a) is not eligible for elite benefits. Even though (b),(c),(d),(e) are also ineligible for points, they are eligible for benefits. Please read T&C before correcting others.

Originally Posted by daveland (Post 15288952)
I think you forgot to bold the portion of your own post that disagrees with your summation ;-) I have bolded, underlined, and italicized the relevant T&C line that does show he is ineligible for Plat benefits - although as another poster pointed out, that wasn't even the OPs question :)

mlad1101 Nov 26, 2010 11:23 am

nevermind.

leo-chan Nov 27, 2010 9:33 am

mah my bad.. misread the OP :) sorry about that though..

In this case I really think YMMV applies.. :D

bittenbytravelbug Nov 29, 2010 2:04 am

dup post --sorry--

bittenbytravelbug Nov 29, 2010 2:09 am

Originally Posted by jimmychang (Post 15289583)
Do you still not understand eligible rate means eligibilithy for point accumulation not eligibility for elite benefits. That's what I'm trying to point out. ONLY (a) is not eligible for elite benefits. Even though (b),(c),(d),(e) are also ineligible for points, they are eligible for benefits. Please read T&C before correcting others.

Re-read the T&C once more. The terms you quoted specificaly state BENEFITS, not points, and it includes employee and friends and family rates as rate which if a Plat member is staying under an employee rate they are not eligible to receive Plat benefits. Specificaly 4B.4 which defines "elegible rates" which section 4B.4(a) addresses booking chanel rates, and down section 4B.4(d) "employee rates and friends and family rates"

4B.4. An “Eligible Rate” is the rate you pay for your room, but excludes:

barracuda93 Oct 26, 2017 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bittenbytravelbug (Post 15327074)
[I]4C.6. Platinum Members are not eligible for any in-hotel benefits when booking pre-paid or other third-party rates through third party channels, such as, but not limited to the channels listed in the definition of Eligible Rate;

Employee and F&F rates are NOT third party rates, which are mentioned in 4C.6. While such rates are not qualifying for nights/stay credit and points, all status benefits should be still provided.

RogerD408 Oct 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 28979959)
Employee and F&F rates are NOT third party rates, which are mentioned in 4C.6. While such rates are not qualifying for nights/stay credit and points, all status benefits should be still provided.

Yes, and it states in 4B.4(d) that they are excluded.

Now it is up the the property if they so choose to extend benefits beyond the rules.