Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2002, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Sheraton Suites in Alexandria,VA

Greetings. Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? My family and I will be staying there in early April. Any input on the hotel (Club Level, amenities etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you know whether it's possible to get a cab to Mount Vernon or do you have to take a tour?
Old Feb 17, 2002, 8:28 pm
SMF

Programs: DL MM/PM, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hobson,

I can't help you with specifics on the hotel, I live near there and have never stayed there.

I can tell you that a cab to Mount Vernon would be no problem. It's only 10 miles away. If you have any questions regarding the area I'ld be happy to answer them.

Old Jul 22, 2002, 2:21 pm

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in June to top up my Free Weekends quota.

The property is a standard Sheraton Suites, which is to say that the rooms are much nicer (larger) than you will find at an average Sheraton such as the Pentagon South. If you can get a comparable rate, stay at the Suites.

IIRC, there was an indoor pool, onsite parking, a pretty good restaurant, and lots of stuff nearby (supermarket, restaurants, Starbucks).

Platinum treatment on my stay was lousy. The standard amenity card choice was offered, but since this is an all-suite hotel a room upgrade doesn't mean anything...until I found out (after check-in) that there was a Club Level. Asked at the front desk why I hadn't been placed on the Club Level and was told that my room key would get me access to the Club floor (wrong!). Had I been staying longer than two nights, I would have made more waves about this. YMMV, good luck.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, USAir CP
Arrow Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

I am spending a few nights at this hotel next week and am wondering if anyone has stayed here and can give me some feedback on the hotel. I know it's supposed to have been recently renovated but am wondering what quality it actually is. Also, since all of the rooms are suites, are there any upgrade possibilities?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:18 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I've stayed there.. I was working in DC and all the SPG properties were sold out.. Not a bad location, the hotel is nice, and yes all the rooms were suites. They had a SPG floor that they upgraded me to. I'm sure it's the same as every other room though.. If you need to get into DC you can take the shuttle to the airport that runs every 30 mins during peak hours and get the Metro from there.. I did this each day and then ate Legal Seafood in DCA in the evening.. mmmmm Good..
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:56 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I'd agree with the previous assessment. The rooms are quite comfortable, in my opinion. And, they're all suites. Two TV's, a sitting area, decent bathroom. Clean and reasonably attractive decor. It's not spectacular, but very nice. This is probably now my preferred "suburban" DC hotel. I've even figured out how to walk from the Braddock Rd. metro stop (maybe a 10-15 minute walk).
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Nice hotel

Stayed there multiple times over the past two years. Can't tell the difference between most rooms, although looking at the emergency exit map (on the door) some rooms appear to be larger than others. Some rooms also have balconies, 1018, 1016 and 1014 on my experience. As a PLAT I'm usually given a room on the 10th (top) floor but the 9th is the official Club Floor. Asked for a room on the 9th on my last stay but didn't notice a difference from the 10th.
Some rooms also have a view of the Capitol Dome - distant but it's a view.
All rooms have a fridge and a microwave and there is a Giant supermarket about two blocks away.

The hotel offers free snacks (usually cheese and crackers and something hot)in the lobby vs the Club Lounge.
King Street is also an easy walk from the hotel.
Enjoy.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Plat/LT Gold, MR Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I stayed there two nights ago and agree that it's a decent hotel. I booked a sale rate of $109, and for that price it is a very nice hotel. The standard rates can be rather high, and they charge $16/day for parking.

As mentioned above, the rooms are all suites, but they are not lavish or large. I would stay there again for the right price.

We ate at Las Tapas on King Street Thursday night. It was excellent. The entire menu was individual Spanish tapas (appetizer sized portions) and they had live flamenco dance shows during dinner.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My husband stayed there recently while visiting relatives (almost across the street). He thought the hotel was quite pleasant and he was very satisfied.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH/Bonvoy Gold, AA, WN CP
I stayed there back in December. The rooms were very decent, quite large and recently-renovated looking. As others have mentioned, however, this location is suburban, and without a car, it is a time-consuming chore to get to DC. The walk to Braddock Metro is about 15 minutes, then the Metro ride into DC is about 25 minutes.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG
Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria

I stayed there about a few times over the last two years as they were going through renovations. The renovated rooms were really nice, and they should all be renovated by now.

Parking was kinda expensive, I don't remember how much.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Stay Report: Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Sheraton Suites Old Town. At check in we were told there were no rooms available on the club floor and that breakfast coupons were only provided to guests staying on the club floor. I've been at other properties that provided the coupons/club access to acknowledge SPG status even when club rooms weren't available but whatever...

We were given a room on the end of the hallway, (it's supposed to be a little larger,) and we appreciated having a location with fewer neighbors since we have a toddler. Like other posters we were satisfied with the room furnishings and suite set up. The room was clean but after reading other threads about coffee mug/glass cleanliness I did bring a sponge and dish soap from home...
We requested a crib, the one provided was the same model as the "heavenly crib" we've experienced at Westin minus the cloud crib sheet, white baby blanket and cloud rug. One negative: it took 3 calls to housekeeping and a few hours before the crib was delivered.

A note about parking:
1. "On-street parking is severely limited, but you can get a 1-day pass from the Alexandria Convention & Visitors Association. The passes are good at any 2-hour parking metered space but not at those restricted to Alexandria residents. They may be renewed once. You'll need your driver's license and your license plate number. There's a public garage under Market Square, opposite the visitor center on Fairfax Street north of King Street." (From frommer's virginia.)
2. As mentioned in other posts the hotel charges $16 for parking. As it happened we arrived at the hotel at 5pm on Saturday, (the Convention & Visitors Association was closed when we got to town.) The street parking surrounding the hotel had signs restricting the parking to two hours from 9-5 Monday through Saturday. Obviously, we were there when the restrictions were not in effect and we had no problem finding street parking directly across from the hotel. So, FWIW if you're staying just a couple of days an option could be to get the parking pass and street park rather than pay for the garage.

We would stay there again if we were in the area. We have a stay planned at the Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek in Florida, I hope we're as pleased with that property as we were with the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:10 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, USAir CP
I also stayed at this hotel recently and had a good exprience. We recieved a nice-sized suite on the tenth floor, which was relatively clean. We paid the $16/day for the parking as we were going in and out a lot and it was convenient. We made the mistake of also paying the $16/person for the breakfast on our first morning, only to find it more or less inedible. I'd advise against asking for free breakfast coupons and instead walking the three blocks to Trader Joe's where you can get great croissants and yogurt.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:31 am

Any recent stays? Going in December and using points as I am catching Bon Jovi at the MCI Center and it is the only decent looking category 3 I could find.

How hard is it to get to the MCI Center from there? Any public transit?

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
They should have a shuttle to the metro, from there's it's easy to get to MCI Center. (It'll be a long walk from the hotel to metro, especially in the cold of December)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.