FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   NH/TG or LH/TG to BKK in F from IAH? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1739861-nh-tg-lh-tg-bkk-f-iah.html)

avi8tir Jan 18, 2016 5:34 am

NH/TG or LH/TG to BKK in F from IAH?

Planning a points trip to BKK.... I've done the LH/TG through FRA several times. LH F is awesome. awesome lounge, etc. 6 hour layover and its the long way!

Never flown NH.

Both options include TG F on the A380.

Both are available on my preferred dates.

What would you do?

bmwe92fan Jan 18, 2016 6:24 am

Since you have already done the whole LH FCT thing - give NH a shot and get to your holiday a lot quicker! I love NH F - great food and service and I slept like a baby in the bed they make up for you.... TG F is solid as you know and on the 380 it's great!

goodeats21 Jan 18, 2016 6:26 am

2 great options. Not really a bad choice here.

For the outbound, as you depart FRA on TG, you miss out on the FC Terminal and MB ride to the plane. Still a nice way to travel, though.

For me, it would come down to which schedule is a better fit. Typically, the European route is an evening departure from USA with an early morning arrival in BKK. Through Asia, it is an early AM departure from USA and late night arrival BKK. I assume your itinerary is the same?

I like the European route when I want to get in a day of work, then head out on holiday in the evening.

Sounds like the Asia routing is faster overall (shorter layover?) and there is the novelty factor of a new airline in F.

Is this a round trip? You could try NH on the way over and LH for the way back...

l etoile Jan 18, 2016 7:55 am

As this does not pertain to United flights, please follow it in the Star Alliance forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Unterwegs Jan 18, 2016 8:52 am

I agree with what have been said.
NH F is very good in the air (seat, service). Food wise the Japanese selections are excellent, the western sometimes lacking.
The NH F seat provides almost too much privacy with a high dividers between the middle pair. You need to bend forward to talk thru some small 'window' between the seat. Great when you are by yourself, not good when you travel with somebody.
The NH lounge is good, but at least one level below the LH offerings.

I would decide based on if the flight match my sleeping pattern and the total travel time.

PTY1K Jan 18, 2016 3:25 pm

NH/TG or LH/TG to BKK in F from IAH?

Are you using UA miles? Depending on your timings and if you're flying o/w, you could add another flight (e.g. BKK-SGN/PNH) for the same mileage (not sure if there are additional taxes) and use the lounge in BKK (or just get a free massage) and skip the last flight).

Madone59 Jan 18, 2016 4:03 pm

I like USA-BKK via Europe because you arrive in the morning and can have a full day. That odd super late arrival or early, early wee hours of the morning arrival kills me.

I'd vote for LH!

SunLover Jan 19, 2016 6:34 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 26036519)
2 great options. Not really a bad choice here.

For the outbound, as you depart FRA on TG, you miss out on the FC Terminal and MB ride to the plane. Still a nice way to travel, though.

Correct; but I have found that the LH FCL in terminal B has the same amenities, a better tarmac view, and a real mattress/bed setup in the slumber rooms which is nice if you choose to snooze. 10 minute walk to the TG gate.

As for schedules I also prefer the early AM arrival times ex. Europe. Contact your hotel and request an early check-in most are used to getting this request and will accommodate you if possible.

SL