Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NH/TG or LH/TG to BKK in F from IAH?

Old Jan 18, 16, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

Planning a points trip to BKK.... I've done the LH/TG through FRA several times. LH F is awesome. awesome lounge, etc. 6 hour layover and its the long way!

Never flown NH.

Both options include TG F on the A380.

Both are available on my preferred dates.

What would you do?
Old Jan 18, 16, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Since you have already done the whole LH FCT thing - give NH a shot and get to your holiday a lot quicker! I love NH F - great food and service and I slept like a baby in the bed they make up for you.... TG F is solid as you know and on the 380 it's great!
Old Jan 18, 16, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
2 great options. Not really a bad choice here.

For the outbound, as you depart FRA on TG, you miss out on the FC Terminal and MB ride to the plane. Still a nice way to travel, though.

For me, it would come down to which schedule is a better fit. Typically, the European route is an evening departure from USA with an early morning arrival in BKK. Through Asia, it is an early AM departure from USA and late night arrival BKK. I assume your itinerary is the same?

I like the European route when I want to get in a day of work, then head out on holiday in the evening.

Sounds like the Asia routing is faster overall (shorter layover?) and there is the novelty factor of a new airline in F.

Is this a round trip? You could try NH on the way over and LH for the way back...
Old Jan 18, 16, 8:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
As this does not pertain to United flights, please follow it in the Star Alliance forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:52 am

I agree with what have been said.
NH F is very good in the air (seat, service). Food wise the Japanese selections are excellent, the western sometimes lacking.
The NH F seat provides almost too much privacy with a high dividers between the middle pair. You need to bend forward to talk thru some small 'window' between the seat. Great when you are by yourself, not good when you travel with somebody.
The NH lounge is good, but at least one level below the LH offerings.

I would decide based on if the flight match my sleeping pattern and the total travel time.
Old Jan 18, 16, 4:25 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K/*G; IHG Spire Ambassador; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Globalist

Are you using UA miles? Depending on your timings and if you're flying o/w, you could add another flight (e.g. BKK-SGN/PNH) for the same mileage (not sure if there are additional taxes) and use the lounge in BKK (or just get a free massage) and skip the last flight).
Old Jan 18, 16, 5:03 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I like USA-BKK via Europe because you arrive in the morning and can have a full day. That odd super late arrival or early, early wee hours of the morning arrival kills me.

I'd vote for LH!
Old Jan 19, 16, 7:34 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
2 great options. Not really a bad choice here.

For the outbound, as you depart FRA on TG, you miss out on the FC Terminal and MB ride to the plane. Still a nice way to travel, though.
Correct; but I have found that the LH FCL in terminal B has the same amenities, a better tarmac view, and a real mattress/bed setup in the slumber rooms which is nice if you choose to snooze. 10 minute walk to the TG gate.

As for schedules I also prefer the early AM arrival times ex. Europe. Contact your hotel and request an early check-in most are used to getting this request and will accommodate you if possible.

SL

Search this Thread
Search Engine: