Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Switching *A FF Program While Maintaining Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold

I'm currently *G with Air Canada Aeroplan, but will be relocating to Chicago in a few months for the next few years. I'd like to switch to United this year, but obviously want to maintain my *G benefits. If I fly/accumulate *A miles onto my United MileagePlus account, can I still get these benefits? if I get MileagePlus Silver this month, can I use benefits from both statuses?

E.g. I am flying United next week in economy class with luggage - if I accrue the miles to my MP#, can I still get the luggage fee waived and tagged priority based on my Aeroplan *G? Can I enter the lounge with my Aeroplan card, even though my boarding pass will have a different FF# on it? If I'm MP Silver, can I get upgraded to Economy Plus for MP AND get the luggage waived/prioritized AND lounge?

So many questions, so little time!

Thanks guys!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:41 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Yes - show your AC Star Gold Card if asked at check in.

Record your status to UA MP when entering your reservation into the computer and for accumulation.

It may not read on your boarding pass but as long as you have the card, it should be okay.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold
Great!

So if I give them my MP# and show them my AC Elite/Gold card at check-in, they'll be able to waive my luggage fees while still accrediting the miles to MP, right?

On a similar note - if I travel on MP award miles from another person's MP account, can I also show them my AC card and again, get luggage fees waived?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Canadiana
So if I give them my MP# and show them my AC Elite/Gold card at check-in, they'll be able to waive my luggage fees while still accrediting the miles to MP, right?

On a similar note - if I travel on MP award miles from another person's MP account, can I also show them my AC card and again, get luggage fees waived?
Pretty much, yes. This is similar to what I did in the past when earning UA/CO*S while AC*E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.