FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Week After Easter to Spain? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1985481-week-after-easter-spain.html)

GobiFox Sep 1, 2019 9:48 am

Week After Easter to Spain?

I'm planning a spring break travel. Originally like to visit Spain or Italy, but just remember that is the week starting from Easter Sunday. With Easter Sunday and Monday, a lot places will be closed. So I just wonder if that is the time to avoid. We try to avoid the crowd if possible.

Koby Sep 2, 2019 9:57 am

Easter Monday is not a holiday in most of Spain. (Here in Catalunya it's a holiday, but in Spain in general the long weekend is from Thursday through Sunday.)
And Easter itself is a Sunday anyway, so that should not influence your visit too much.

LapLap Sep 2, 2019 12:50 pm

It will really depend on where you are going. As Koby has said, Easter will have concluded in most of Spain, but an example of somewhere that would still be celebrating Easter related festivities is Murcia (“Entierro de la Sardina” on the 18th April and on the days leading up to it)

GobiFox Sep 3, 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 31482570)
Easter Monday is not a holiday in most of Spain. (Here in Catalunya it's a holiday, but in Spain in general the long weekend is from Thursday through Sunday.)
And Easter itself is a Sunday anyway, so that should not influence your visit too much.

Originally Posted by LapLap (Post 31483093)
It will really depend on where you are going. As Koby has said, Easter will have concluded in most of Spain, but an example of somewhere that would still be celebrating Easter related festivities is Murcia (“Entierro de la Sardina” on the 18th April and on the days leading up to it)

I'll choose from either Madrid or Spain, but just one location due to (long) hotel limitation. Probably Madrid since the beach in Barcelona is too cold and we like to do a couple day trips.

The plan is to arrive on Sunday and leave either Saturday or Sunday. Just do not want to be stuck in hotel for the first two days.

Koby Sep 3, 2019 7:06 am

Originally Posted by GobiFox (Post 31485150)
Just do not want to be stuck in hotel for the first two days.

In cities as vivid and active as Madrid or Barcelona, you really will not be "stuck in your hotel" - even on Sundays/holidays.

TWA884 Sep 3, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by GobiFox (Post 31485150)
I'll choose from either Madrid or Spain, but just one location due to (long) hotel limitation. Probably Madrid since the beach in Barcelona is too cold and we like to do a couple day trips.

There is plenty see and do in Barcelona besides the beach and there are some worthy day trips destinations from there. That being said, you can't go wrong with staying for the entire duration of your stay in Spain in either city.

GobiFox Sep 3, 2019 4:11 pm

I have been thinking of going to Istanbul or other ME countries to avoid the Easter. Maybe over thinking.
Istanbul is nice, but costs more.

Koby Sep 3, 2019 11:28 pm

I understand your reasoning. And I would fully agree for a trip around Christmas for instance. But not for Easter.

I personally try not to be in Barcelona for Christmas for instance. Shops are closed, but on top of that it's also a difficult time to get into restaurants (closed or reservations only). But Easter in Barcelona is nothing like that. It's basically just another Sunday.
I have not been in Madrid on Easter Sunday, but I cannot imagine it being very different.

GobiFox Sep 4, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 31488277)
I understand your reasoning. And I would fully agree for a trip around Christmas for instance. But not for Easter.

I personally try not to be in Barcelona for Christmas for instance. Shops are closed, but on top of that it's also a difficult time to get into restaurants (closed or reservations only). But Easter in Barcelona is nothing like that. It's basically just another Sunday.
I have not been in Madrid on Easter Sunday, but I cannot imagine it being very different.

This is good to know. Some people say in the Catholic countries like Spain and Italy, Easter is even a bigger event than Christmas. Maybe they are talking about the week leading to Easter.

krispy84 Sep 4, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by GobiFox (Post 31487343)
I have been thinking of going to Istanbul or other ME countries to avoid the Easter. Maybe over thinking.
Istanbul is nice, but costs more.

You are greatly overthinking this. Easter will have little to no impact on your week in either Madrid or Barcelona.

GobiFox Sep 4, 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31490528)

You are greatly overthinking this. Easter will have little to no impact on your week in either Madrid or Barcelona.

Maybe I have. But you could imagine the loss of one or two days overseas. I think this is totally different from the Hong Kong situation.
Great advice. I'll re-consider.

krispy84 Sep 4, 2019 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by GobiFox (Post 31490832)
Maybe I have. But you could imagine the loss of one or two days overseas. I think this is totally different from the Hong Kong situation.
Great advice. I'll re-consider.

Go where you would like to go, but the proximity of Easter shouldn’t be a factor in your thinking.