Week After Easter to Spain?

Old Sep 1, 19, 9:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Week After Easter to Spain?

I'm planning a spring break travel. Originally like to visit Spain or Italy, but just remember that is the week starting from Easter Sunday. With Easter Sunday and Monday, a lot places will be closed. So I just wonder if that is the time to avoid. We try to avoid the crowd if possible.
Old Sep 2, 19, 9:57 am

Easter Monday is not a holiday in most of Spain. (Here in Catalunya it's a holiday, but in Spain in general the long weekend is from Thursday through Sunday.)
And Easter itself is a Sunday anyway, so that should not influence your visit too much.
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will really depend on where you are going. As Koby has said, Easter will have concluded in most of Spain, but an example of somewhere that would still be celebrating Easter related festivities is Murcia (“Entierro de la Sardina” on the 18th April and on the days leading up to it)
Old Sep 3, 19, 6:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Easter Monday is not a holiday in most of Spain. (Here in Catalunya it's a holiday, but in Spain in general the long weekend is from Thursday through Sunday.)
And Easter itself is a Sunday anyway, so that should not influence your visit too much.
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
It will really depend on where you are going. As Koby has said, Easter will have concluded in most of Spain, but an example of somewhere that would still be celebrating Easter related festivities is Murcia (“Entierro de la Sardina” on the 18th April and on the days leading up to it)
I'll choose from either Madrid or Spain, but just one location due to (long) hotel limitation. Probably Madrid since the beach in Barcelona is too cold and we like to do a couple day trips.

The plan is to arrive on Sunday and leave either Saturday or Sunday. Just do not want to be stuck in hotel for the first two days.
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by GobiFox View Post
Just do not want to be stuck in hotel for the first two days.
In cities as vivid and active as Madrid or Barcelona, you really will not be "stuck in your hotel" - even on Sundays/holidays.
GobiFox and roberto99 like this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 8:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
I'll choose from either Madrid or Spain, but just one location due to (long) hotel limitation. Probably Madrid since the beach in Barcelona is too cold and we like to do a couple day trips.
There is plenty see and do in Barcelona besides the beach and there are some worthy day trips destinations from there. That being said, you can't go wrong with staying for the entire duration of your stay in Spain in either city.
GobiFox likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 4:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have been thinking of going to Istanbul or other ME countries to avoid the Easter. Maybe over thinking.
Istanbul is nice, but costs more.
Old Sep 3, 19, 11:28 pm

I understand your reasoning. And I would fully agree for a trip around Christmas for instance. But not for Easter.

I personally try not to be in Barcelona for Christmas for instance. Shops are closed, but on top of that it's also a difficult time to get into restaurants (closed or reservations only). But Easter in Barcelona is nothing like that. It's basically just another Sunday.
I have not been in Madrid on Easter Sunday, but I cannot imagine it being very different.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
I understand your reasoning. And I would fully agree for a trip around Christmas for instance. But not for Easter.

I personally try not to be in Barcelona for Christmas for instance. Shops are closed, but on top of that it's also a difficult time to get into restaurants (closed or reservations only). But Easter in Barcelona is nothing like that. It's basically just another Sunday.
I have not been in Madrid on Easter Sunday, but I cannot imagine it being very different.
This is good to know. Some people say in the Catholic countries like Spain and Italy, Easter is even a bigger event than Christmas. Maybe they are talking about the week leading to Easter.
Old Sep 4, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
I have been thinking of going to Istanbul or other ME countries to avoid the Easter. Maybe over thinking.
Istanbul is nice, but costs more.
You are greatly overthinking this. Easter will have little to no impact on your week in either Madrid or Barcelona.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post

You are greatly overthinking this. Easter will have little to no impact on your week in either Madrid or Barcelona.
Maybe I have. But you could imagine the loss of one or two days overseas. I think this is totally different from the Hong Kong situation.
Great advice. I'll re-consider.
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Maybe I have. But you could imagine the loss of one or two days overseas. I think this is totally different from the Hong Kong situation.
Great advice. I'll re-consider.
Go where you would like to go, but the proximity of Easter shouldn’t be a factor in your thinking.
GobiFox likes this.

Search this Thread