Passport Control at GIB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport Control at GIB?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So it sounds possible to get a stamp now, at least. But yeah, the vast majority of people just use their ID cards.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craz
I walked thru Spain-GIB-Spain last Fri. As ! posted all I did was show my passport and kept walking both times.(Most locals both sides seemed to show a plastic ID card of some type, and they too did so as they kept walking). GIB control took the PP looked thru it and when looking at my pic looked at me as well

couldnt believe how cheap a bottle of booze was,what cost $46 @ JFK and $49 in MAD and $52 @ AGP was 25 gbp or $31 on Main St.

They didnt have a stamp , so on the way out since there wasnt any traffic I walked over to the car booth and he was nice and stamped it for me
Even without some sought Schengen entry/exit stamps in US passports, Schengen passport control is used to hearing/finding out that some Schengen ports of entry/exit don't always stamp US passports. Flying into GIB and then going by land into Spain and out of the Schengen zone thereafter without a Schengen entry stamp in a US passport? Not a show stopper.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even without some sought Schengen entry/exit stamps in US passports, Schengen passport control is used to hearing/finding out that some Schengen ports of entry/exit don't always stamp US passports. Flying into GIB and then going by land into Spain and out of the Schengen zone thereafter without a Schengen entry stamp in a US passport? Not a show stopper.
He wrote on top of the stamp 'on request' and initialed it

At some places as was the case on my walking into Gib , they simply didnt have any stamp whatsoever

From the few folks I spoke with who live in Gib, they arent sure what Gib will do as per Brexit. The feeling I got was Gib wants to remain in the EU. Not sure what will happen if they leave with the UK, will things remain as is or will each ID be checked and very long lines into and out of Gib walking wise, as each PP will need to be stamped and recorded.Id think if Gib remains with the EU then things will remain as is
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So it sounds possible to get a stamp now, at least. But yeah, the vast majority of people just use their ID cards.
The guy did ask whats this thing with you Americans wanting a stamp, and jokingly said after he stamped it that will be $20. Told him thats the only souvenir I wanted
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:23 am

couldnt believe how cheap a bottle of booze was,what cost $46 @ JFK and $49 in MAD and $52 @ AGP was 25 gbp or $31 on Main St.
Apart from being a "tax haven", that has also to do with the British Pound having lost significantely on value (Making Britain* cheap again )

*and obviously all areas using British currency
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Apart from being a "tax haven", that has also to do with the British Pound having lost significantely on value (Making Britain* cheap again )

*and obviously all areas using British currency
Id say more on it being a tax haven, since the GBP would have to be 1.85 to the USD to equal the $46 cost @ JFK, and its been years since it was at that level
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Id say more on it being a tax haven, since the GBP would have to be 1.85 to the USD to equal the $46 cost @ JFK, and its been years since it was at that level
Excise duties/taxes (or the lack thereof on a product) are only part of the explanation for such price differences of products available for sale in different locations.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Excise duties/taxes (or the lack thereof on a product) are only part of the explanation for such price differences of products available for sale in different locations.
In the case of Gibraltar, there are several factors why their prices are lower:

1) As mentioned by myself, a (suddenly) lowered local currency means that products that are imported "seem" to look cheaper - often local merchants will keep their prices more or less the same, but a better exchange rate (for the foreigner) will make it look cheaper.

2) Lower duties (on alcohol in that case) and, more importantly, lower "value tax" - this is, for example, the reason why electronics are cheaper in Switzerland than in Germany..

3) Higher sales means more efficency. If you're selling 200 bottles a day you simply don't have the same costs for staffing/presentation/rent than if you're selling 2 bottles a day. And you're getting better conditions when buying in bulk as the merchant. So cheaper prices tend to make you higher sales which enables you to offer cheaper prices etc. - that's how Aldi & Co runs their business. Rather successfully..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.