Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest and AirTran begin connecting networks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

And the integration continues...

Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways took the first step in connecting their networks on Jan. 26, 2013, by offering a small number of shared itineraries in five markets. The initial phase was successful, and the airlines are prepared to launch in 39 cities on Feb. 25, 2013. The airline is on pace to fully connect the networks in April.
http://www.swamedia.com/releases/sou...cting-networks
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Yay for progress! I have two booked itineraries going out east that might get some better timings if the FL network comes into play. I'll certainly be checking back on that day.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
The big question is: which 39 markets are going to be participating in "phase 2" of the codeshare?

I would love to see markets like RIC-ATL-AUS or RIC-MCO-BHM open up. But I'm not holding my breath since RIC has yet to see Southwest metal, just the sleepy 5 AirTran flights a day we've had for years.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I really like the cautious, slow approach that WN is taking to integrate the two airlines. Much, much better than the two disasters I went through over the last couple of years, first with DL/NW then UA/CO.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
The big question is: which 39 markets are going to be participating in "phase 2" of the codeshare?
Could they be the cities that are currently jointly served by FL and WN?

FAQs on connectivity:
http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...tivity_general

Video of process and trip experience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vOtzzHC56yc

Last edited by mke9499; Feb 14, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by robbert
I really like the cautious, slow approach that WN is taking to integrate the two airlines. Much, much better than the two disasters I went through over the last couple of years, first with DL/NW then UA/CO.
What disaster with DL/NW integration did you experience?

WN needed to keep FL flying to maintain Bermuda, Mexico and five Caribbean destinations. WN delayed a new-generation domestic bookings product to the point of total bewilderment.

The fee muddle is another irritant.

It now seems fees for the first and second checked bag will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment. But all other fee charges will be based on the fee structure for the carrier with which the customer makes the booking.

The "slow and cautious approach" manifested.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Integration and standard awards

Does the integration mean that standard awards will be integrated as well (if they aren't already)?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slickvik
Does the integration mean that standard awards will be integrated as well (if they aren't already)?
From an AirTran email:

A+ Rewards Members will also be able to redeem A+ Rewards Credits for reward flights on network connected itineraries purchased through AirTran channels. And, Rapid Rewards Members wil be able to redeem points or awards for shared flights purchased through Southwest channels.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 1:31 am

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to book a shared trip with Southwest and Airtran. Tried it on the southwest site but it only shows their own flights.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by olouie
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to book a shared trip with Southwest and Airtran. Tried it on the southwest site but it only shows their own flights.
Right now, the codeshare only covers flights from SDF or ORF to either RSW or FLL that connect in ATL. More extensive codesharing should come on the 25th.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Originally Posted by LegalTender

WN needed to keep FL flying to maintain Bermuda, Mexico and five Caribbean destinations. WN delayed a new-generation domestic bookings product to the point of total bewilderment.

How long till SW can take over the international routes under SW and drop FL for good?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Hopefully the CP will on the shared itinerary like the RR points will/do
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Originally Posted by Wildfan88
How long till SW can take over the international routes under SW and drop FL for good?
Fl is to completely absorbed by the end of 2014.

Still lots of work to do in the meantime.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Fl is to completely absorbed by the end of 2014.

Still lots of work to do in the meantime.
FL doesn't need to go away before WN flies int'l separately.

They haven't devised a reservation platform to handle it. Nor are there imminent prospects.

The Empire State Building was completed in half the time.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LegalTender

The Empire State Building was completed in half the time.
The Empire State Building had union workers.... Just sayin...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.