Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will SW Give Me Problems Carrying On This Garment Bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will SW Give Me Problems Carrying On This Garment Bag?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Question Will SW Give Me Problems Carrying On This Garment Bag?

Hi all,

I travel for work a moderate amount. I almost always fly SW for such business trips and carry on a small suitcase. That doesn't work so well for suits. I fold them over but it's not as good as a garment bag. So my girlfriend just bought me this garment bag:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/lugg...arment+Bag.jsp

It's pretty large. I think it will actually fit in the overhead bins but wondering if it's likely that the SW gate staff will hassle me about carrying it on. Anyone have a similar bag that they carry on?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:14 am

posting dimensions

FYI: 23 1/2"H x 19"W x 8 1/2"D
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
FYI: 23 1/2"H x 19"W x 8 1/2"D
Those are the correct numbers but Kohls has the height and width switched.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches. All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough physical search.
Your bag would not fit into a 10 x 16 x 24 sizer, so it technically cannot be carried on ( I doubt that any airline will allow it )

To this point, WN gate agents have been pretty lax about enforcing this rule since, with no bag charges, WN passengers tend to have fewer carry-ons than other airlines. However, now that WN planes are moving from 137 seats to 143 seats, I suspect that they will get more strict.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
i get hassled a few times a year with my size-permitted carryon, it's gotten so that I carry a measuring tape and a copy of the rules.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Your bag would not fit into a 10 x 16 x 24 sizer, so it technically cannot be carried on ( I doubt that any airline will allow it )

To this point, WN gate agents have been pretty lax about enforcing this rule since, with no bag charges, WN passengers tend to have fewer carry-ons than other airlines. However, now that WN planes are moving from 137 seats to 143 seats, I suspect that they will get more strict.
Yea, I figured it wouldn't fit in the sizer but I also realize that a significant portion of fliers carry on bags that wouldn't fit in the sizer.

That's a great point about WN going to greater number of seats. As you've pointed out that will probably lead to a lot more issues with carry-ons. Looks like it will be a double-whammy for WN - they'll get more revenue from selling more seats and once people realize that overhead space is even harder to come by more people will start springing for EBCI.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:10 pm

Is there not any hanging space where you can hang your garments?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
No, WN doesn't feel that we kettles deserve hanging space.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
No, WN doesn't feel that we kettles deserve hanging space.
Well.... damn. what would happen if I brought a suit in a bag onboard?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
Well.... damn. what would happen if I brought a suit in a bag onboard?
You would do as the rest of us do. You fold it in half and put it in the overhead bin. Or, you get you a good two-suiter and check it. It's free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.