Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ticket booked for companion before CP earned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

My husband hasn't earned CP *yet* but he's hoping to. We'd like to book a flight now for Feb travel (his with $, mine with points). If he gets CP, I know I can cancel my flight and get the points back, but is it guaranteed that a seat will then be available to add me as a companion?

Another sort of related question: For CP, if he wants to use points for travel, do they have to come from his own account to add me as a companion? Or if I have points in my account, can we book his ticket through my account and still add me to the trip as a companion?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:57 am

On the second point, yes, that's possible. You can use your points to book a trip for the CP holder, and fly as his companion.

On the first, I'm pretty sure. If you have a tentative points booking, and the flight shows as sold out when you're ready to replace it with a companion booking, you can call and ask to have the booking changed.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by ehallison
My husband hasn't earned CP *yet* but he's hoping to. We'd like to book a flight now for Feb travel (his with $, mine with points). If he gets CP, I know I can cancel my flight and get the points back, but is it guaranteed that a seat will then be available to add me as a companion?

No guarantee that a seat will be available if you wait till he earns CP to book. CP holder can book their companion as long as a seat is available. If it sells out before he reaches CP...no free CP travel. Book the flight now on points to get your seat locked then you can cancel and rebook once you are his companion. There is no official policy written anywhere, but others have reported they were able to have Customer Service switch the ticket to CP if the flight sells out...but you have to already have a reservation.

Originally Posted by ehallison
Another sort of related question: For CP, if he wants to use points for travel, do they have to come from his own account to add me as a companion? Or if I have points in my account, can we book his ticket through my account and still add me to the trip as a companion?
Does not matter how his is booked to add a companion. Once he gets CP, he can book you as a companion provided that a seat is available. Does not matter if you book your ticket...or even his ticket for that matter...with your points or his points. That is a great perk about the CP. WN does not care how the CP holder's ticket was booked...as long as he has a confirmed reservation he can add the companion to any flight as long as seats are still available paid fare or not. His butcher can book him a ticket on his points then your husband can then add you as his companion for free.

Last edited by PAX62; Sep 30, 2016 at 7:43 pm
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PAX62
Does not matter how his is booked to add a companion. Once he gets CP, he can book you as a companion provided that a seat is available. Does not matter if you book your ticket...or even his ticket for that matter...with your points or his points.
Just to clarify, once OP's husband has CP there would be no need for the OP to book her ticket with points. She would just use her points to book his ticket, not hers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.