Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused - can anyone please help me?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Confused - can anyone please help me?

OK - I've only flown WN one time prior to my upcoming trip - before the boarding changes and without a child. (Usually fly UA or F9 but the times, price and non-stop won WN my business this time.)

I am now traveling with a 3 year old in October. (just the 2 of us - no hubby on this trip to help out... arrgghh!! what was I thinking? ).

I understand the basic concept of the boarding process. I just do not understand all this A-list talk and what it means to me when I check in 24 hrs prior to my flight.

What I'm 'hearing' from the posts I'm reading is that I'm pretty much hosed and will not get an A position even if I'm the first 'non-a-list' person to check in. I hope I'm getting that wrong. I know I'm guaranteed the place between A and B since I have a child, but I'd sure like an earlier spot if possible so I have more time to get his car seat in place etc.

I'm also wondering if it will be even worse because it's a late day flight on a Friday. (read about connecting pax having the lower numbers because they could check in earlier)

If it makes any difference I'm flying DEN-MCO.

Thanks for helping me understand this better!
Robin
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Robin, welcome to FT.

Business Select will get A1-A15; don't know how many of those are likely going to MCO on a Friday. A-Listers will get A16-A?? (again, not sure there will be many A-Listers originating at DEN, but if there were ten, then you could get an A as low as #26.).

The wild card is connecting pax from the west coast, which could be problematic, but as always, you want to do OLCI at exactly T-24 to get the best available BP and I think it is still likely it will be an A if you time it right at the 24 hour window. Worst case scenario, as you are aware, is you will have family boarding between A and B groups, which should still give you a pretty decent seat selection and time to get the car seat in place.

Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks Nevada. I'm sure I'd be less concerned about it if a) Hubby was going with us and b) I'd flown WN more than once.

My previous experience was with a friend going to WDW (first flight out in the dark morning). We were A4 and A5, yet by the time all the families had preboarded (entire families, not just one parent and one child) my friend and I had to go to the second to the last row to find 2 seats together. That didn't make me feel to confident about what my boarding would be like if I got stuck in the family group between A and B.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Robin12265
My previous experience was with a friend going to WDW (first flight out in the dark morning). We were A4 and A5, yet by the time all the families had preboarded (entire families, not just one parent and one child) my friend and I had to go to the second to the last row to find 2 seats together. That didn't make me feel to confident about what my boarding would be like if I got stuck in the family group between A and B.
If there are that many "families" you may need to stay up near the front so you board early within the family boarding group.

The abuse you described is the reason families no longer pre-board. It was a huge problem to and from Orlando, although your story is the most extreme example ever posted here. The most I ever saw personally was about 30 pre-boarders. Kind of messed up my normal "board at the end of the A's" approach. A-list sure fixed that problem!

Please report your results here. I'm confident you will get seats together.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Nevada1K
The wild card is connecting pax from the west coast
Minor point... It doesn't matter from where the connecting pax originate. Even if they were connecting inbound from MDW they'd still be in front of originating passengers in DEN.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Robin,

I'm not A-list, and I've flown SWA about 6 round-trips since they started the new boarding procedure.

I can't think of a time where I checked in within the first few minutes and wasn't in the first group (A-30 or better). Even with the connections at MDW and BNA, I've still not had a problem.

You'll be fine, and you'll get a good seat...don't worry!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I feel a bit more calm about it now.

I'm all about new adventures, but a 3 year old kind of dampens that, ya know?

I'm not fond of checking bags, but I know that's what I'm doing on this trip! I can't imagine adding carry on bags to the mix! (child, stroller {gate check}, car seat and something to keep him occupied during the flight is more than enough to deal with!!)
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Just to add to the feedback you've already received: I fly Southwest up to once a week using either my Companion Pass or an award ticket. I'm one of those people who checks in at exactly 24 hours before my flight, no 23:45 or 23:30 before my flight, and under those circumstances I've always received an A boarding pass. As long as you're meticulous about checking in online exactly 24 hours before your flight, you'll be fine.

As for connecting passengers, etc., don't stress yourself out about it. I think you'll have plenty of time to get the car seat arranged, get him seated and get your bags stowed. It should take at least 15 minutes for the B and C groups to get onboard, and the flight attendants seem to be very helpful toward parents with kids.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional reassurance chgoeditor.

(Now I can obsess on how in tarnation I'm going to make it through DIA security with a 3 year old and all the other stuff! ... I know - I'll be fine. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.