Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest to add at least one city next year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners

USA Today on Friday had an interesting article on the growth plans of discounters AirTran, JetBlue, and of course Southwest:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...-low-fares.htm

The news about Southwest's accelerated plane deliveries has been talked about here already, but I noticed this article says Southwest CFO Gary Kelly says that they'll add at least one city next year. The article also says: "Kelly says Southwest, which built its business on flying to less-congested alternate airports, isn't ruling out any airport if it can make the math work."

Now, don't I remember that, a few years ago, right after they added Norfolk, that Southwest made some commitment to Richmond? If so, does that commitment still stand (and make likely that Richmond would be one of the next few cities added once they start adding cities again)?

Btw, a sidebar in the article says that low fare airlines (presumably mostly Southwest) have 70% of the market share between L A and S F (counting all airports in each), but only 11% of the market share between L A and Seattle, which Southwest definitely flies, but only with 1-stops which land in places like OAK, SJC, or SMF. Is that one stop enough to deter most people who would otherwise consider Southwest for Los Angeles to Seattle? Or is there some other reason why Southwest can't get more market share between those two cities?
Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Starwood, Choices
Maybe, if WN offers $29-49 one-way fares to LAX/SEA, we might see it serves more than half of the market share.

Fares from LA airports to SEA from other non-stop airlines (Alaska, United) are about $180-210 while WN cheapest fares are $198+tax with one stop.

I will definitely fly Alaska, United in this case.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL MP, AAdvantage,WN RR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jittichai:
Maybe, if WN offers $29-49 one-way fares to LAX/SEA, we might see it serves more than half of the market share.
</font>
Even Greyhound Bus will be in C11
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:46 pm

I pray for the day that WN gives us a non stop from SEA to LAX ( or BUR or ONT) or visa versa. Fingers crossed that one day it will happen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.