Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Dead] Southwest companion pass with $4k spending is back.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

Looks like the southwest companion pass is back with credit card application and $4k spending.

You only earn 30K points on this offer and only good till Feb 28 2025 not Dec 31, 2025

Last edited by nsx; Feb 6, 2024 at 9:48 pm Reason: referrals are not allowed in this forum
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Any workaround to the "This product is available to you if you do not have a current Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card" language? Any experience with cancelling ASAP and then applying again immediately? ("Offer ends 3/11/24.")

Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lairdb
Any workaround to the "This product is available to you if you do not have a current Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card" language? Any experience with cancelling ASAP and then applying again immediately? ("Offer ends 3/11/24.")

Thanks.
Not immediately, best to wait for a month... so you can right now. and then apply after 3/1

I also think there is stipulation to the bonus, you cant get the bonus again if you have gotten a bonus in the last 24 months
Old Feb 6, 2024, 6:14 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It's based on when you got the bonus. If you earned the bonus on a personal card in the last 24 months you can not sign up or get the bonus till after that time has passed.

It looks like the business card (which have their own 24 months restriction individually) do not currently have the offer.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:34 pm

I know Chase terms say "up to 8 weeks" for Companion Pass to be activated. But we've got some WN reservations the week of 3/22 that would be lovely to have this for. Are there any data points from past promotions on how quickly the spend registers, gets qualified, and they add the CP?

I just applied this week but don't have my card yet. Or Chase Offers. Any good ideas to MS or hit this $4k spend quickly? I planned on doing a 1040ES for Q1 but realized that doesn't open until 3/1 and I'd like to get this done in the next few days using Google Pay/Samsung Pay/PayPal.

Most of the savings account or CD funding avenues I found seem closed. What about a refundable deposit on a hotel/property? Any ideas what high end suite would be over
$4k and fully refundable? And any concerns if I then cancel it as long as I've spent the equivalent (say on Q1 taxes in March 2024) to the refund amount on other transactions before the promotion period?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Most bonuses do not post until the statement closes and get transferred from Chase to SWA. Regular CP generally hits the account that day or next.

as to taxes, you can pay Q4, then the overage on your taxes can be applied to 2024. (if you have not filed yet)
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by c5ruzr
I know Chase terms say "up to 8 weeks" for Companion Pass to be activated. But we've got some WN reservations the week of 3/22 that would be lovely to have this for. Are there any data points from past promotions on how quickly the spend registers, gets qualified, and they add the CP?

I just applied this week but don't have my card yet. Or Chase Offers. Any good ideas to MS or hit this $4k spend quickly? I planned on doing a 1040ES for Q1 but realized that doesn't open until 3/1 and I'd like to get this done in the next few days using Google Pay/Samsung Pay/PayPal.

Most of the savings account or CD funding avenues I found seem closed. What about a refundable deposit on a hotel/property? Any ideas what high end suite would be over
$4k and fully refundable? And any concerns if I then cancel it as long as I've spent the equivalent (say on Q1 taxes in March 2024) to the refund amount on other transactions before the promotion period?
I have had luck calling in to get my statement date changed to speed things up. When I get my card, if I know I can hit the spend in a week, I will have them change my statement date to 2 weeks away. Make the charges, give them a few days to post, then statement date will hit. Typically within a couple days of statement, your SW account will update with points/rewards.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 3:23 pm

Which credit bureau do I need to unfreeze for Chase query?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by daw4888
I have had luck calling in to get my statement date changed to speed things up. When I get my card, if I know I can hit the spend in a week, I will have them change my statement date to 2 weeks away. Make the charges, give them a few days to post, then statement date will hit. Typically within a couple days of statement, your SW account will update with points/rewards.
I called tonight to request a statement date change and was told that they cannot change the statement date for the first statement but subsequent statements can be changed. My statement date is 3/1 which is soon enough for my travel but a little surprised they would not do this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Most bonuses do not post until the statement closes and get transferred from Chase to SWA. Regular CP generally hits the account that day or next.

as to taxes, you can pay Q4, then the overage on your taxes can be applied to 2024. (if you have not filed yet)
I'm also in this situation, wanting to use the CP for a trip starting in late April.

If I understand correctly, wife and I can make separate reservations using points (that we already have), and then once the CP is issued, cancel her reservation and immediately add her via CP.

And try to make sure we hit the $4k spending a few days before whatever statement closing date is fairly close before the trip. I'm not quite clear what the statement closing date is, since there's been no statement yet. I signed up for automatic payments "on the due date" and the first auto payment is scheduled for Apr 23. So I'm assuming that means my first statement closing date is shortly after March 23 and therefore I need to get going on hitting the $4K by then (unless I want to cut things REALLY close with the April closing date which would be just several days before our trip.

I guess I'll make an big estimated tax payment ... those still qualify (for bonus spending), I presume.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
I'm also in this situation, wanting to use the CP for a trip starting in late April.

If I understand correctly, wife and I can make separate reservations using points (that we already have), and then once the CP is issued, cancel her reservation and immediately add her via CP.

And try to make sure we hit the $4k spending a few days before whatever statement closing date is fairly close before the trip. I'm not quite clear what the statement closing date is, since there's been no statement yet. I signed up for automatic payments "on the due date" and the first auto payment is scheduled for Apr 23. So I'm assuming that means my first statement closing date is shortly after March 23 and therefore I need to get going on hitting the $4K by then (unless I want to cut things REALLY close with the April closing date which would be just several days before our trip.

I guess I'll make an big estimated tax payment ... those still qualify (for bonus spending), I presume.
I just did this same routine. Booked all flights using points for both myself and my companion. Once the CP posted, canceled all companion points flights and rebooked with CP.

Call chase and they will tell you the exact date your first statement will close. I wouldn’t cut it too close for posting purposes so as soon as you can hit the $4k spend requirement, I would do it. It did take my CP about 6 total days (3 business days) to post after the statement closed but there was a weekend in there so account for those factors and see if the timing works for you.

Tax payments are great for these situations!
RustyShackleford1 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by ronbo83
Tax payments are great for these situations!
Is there a site (for tax payments) that charges less fee than the 1.87% at pay1040-DOT-com ? (Yes, I'm aware eftps-DOT-gov charges nothing, but you can't use a credit card there).
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
Is there a site (for tax payments) that charges less fee than the 1.87% at pay1040-DOT-com ? (Yes, I'm aware eftps-DOT-gov charges nothing, but you can't use a credit card there).
No. 1.87% is the lowest. Still good if you need to finish the spending. The bonus alone is worth it.
RustyShackleford1 and ronbo83 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:34 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
My wife’s statement closed Sunday and by noon Monday the companion pass showed up in her Southwest account with a link to add a companion. DO NOT USE THAT LINK TO ADD THE COMPANION. If you use the link like I did it will take your name, birthdate and address but does not have a place for your rapid rewards number. It then automatically generates a new RR number. I called SW and the lady was able to add my correct RR number but she was very clear that it counted as one of her 3 changes. A second lady I spoke with says they alway recommend calling and having them add the companion.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abk
My wife’s statement closed Sunday and by noon Monday the companion pass showed up in her Southwest account with a link to add a companion. DO NOT USE THAT LINK TO ADD THE COMPANION. If you use the link like I did it will take your name, birthdate and address but does not have a place for your rapid rewards number. It then automatically generates a new RR number. I called SW and the lady was able to add my correct RR number but she was very clear that it counted as one of her 3 changes. A second lady I spoke with says they alway recommend calling and having them add the companion.

I had the same problem. Using the link created a new RR account for my kid. Which I had just created one to get a RR number for him. Lucky it was both brand new. So the agent basically just tossed the account I created and now we’re using the system generated account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.