FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Believable they will recover tomorrow (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2105828-believable-they-will-recover-tomorrow.html)

ezefllying Dec 29, 2022 4:29 pm

I'm genuinely curious how you recover, operationally, from such a meltdown in less than a week. It's like a 100-car pileup on Cross-Bronx Expressway. It just wrecks the whole system, to the point that not even the rescuers can get through to alleviate the crisis. Who's even running the show? Individual crew schedulers with pen and paper, simply issuing orders by cellphone? Could their managers get through to them? I'm amazed they could get a single flight out.

Without any expertise, I'd almost wonder if a true hard reset would have been more efficient. Simply announce that all scheduled flights are canceled for 72 hours. (Maybe make an exception for international flights.) You can rebook online if there is space on a later flight, but otherwise, try to make alternative plans and we'll open up a compensation portal in a couple weeks. Passengers: Don't call us. Crew: Don't call us; we'll call you. Flight crew and most airport staff: Take a 24-hour rest break. We'll start calling crew alphabetically by last name for assignments.

I don't know whether that would work, but it might have made it possible to stop the bleeding faster, rather than trying to stop it while continuing the race.

nsx Dec 29, 2022 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 34874382)
No one knows, including Southwest. You could change for free to one of earlier flights in the day and then drive if that cancels.

Bingo. Then if the earliest flight is sold out and you can't make the switch, consider driving.

pseudoswede Dec 29, 2022 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by atourgates (Post 34875278)
How do you find the aircraft that’s supposed to fly your route?

[MENTION=258502]downinit[/MENTION] above shows how you can track a plane using FlightAware (which is what I also did). The huge caveat is that airlines (especially Southwest) can and will swap aircraft at the drop of a hat to complete schedules/missions. Given HOU is a rather large "hub" for WN, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a tail number change tomorrow.

joshua362 Dec 29, 2022 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ezefllying (Post 34875444)
I'm genuinely curious how you recover, operationally, from such a meltdown in less than a week. It's like a 100-car pileup on Cross-Bronx Expressway. It just wrecks the whole system, to the point that not even the rescuers can get through to alleviate the crisis. Who's even running the show? Individual crew schedulers with pen and paper, simply issuing orders by cellphone? Could their managers get through to them? I'm amazed they could get a single flight out.

Without any expertise, I'd almost wonder if a true hard reset would have been more efficient. Simply announce that all scheduled flights are canceled for 72 hours. (Maybe make an exception for international flights.) You can rebook online if there is space on a later flight, but otherwise, try to make alternative plans and we'll open up a compensation portal in a couple weeks. Passengers: Don't call us. Crew: Don't call us; we'll call you. Flight crew and most airport staff: Take a 24-hour rest break. We'll start calling crew alphabetically by last name for assignments.

I don't know whether that would work, but it might have made it possible to stop the bleeding faster, rather than trying to stop it while continuing the race.

I surmise that is what they are essentially have been doing for the past xx days. Cancelling 2/3 and flying the simplest 1/3 possible (maybe there and back) while everyone else gets into position. Tomorrow will tell...

N830MH Dec 29, 2022 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 34875478)
Bingo. Then if the earliest flight is sold out and you can't make the switch, consider driving.

There you go! Just drive home! Or take on Amtrak or Greyhound bus. It’s your choice.

boss315 Dec 29, 2022 5:46 pm

I just saw a unicorn…hard NO on normal Friday!

gaobest Dec 29, 2022 6:43 pm

I cannot believe that nytimes has an article titled

Southwest Says It Plans to Restore Normal Flight Schedule Friday

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e4f8185e8.jpeg
​​​​​​​

NoStressHere Dec 29, 2022 6:58 pm

good news... if they run close to full sched on Friday - most of flights will be not even be half full - once they clear out anyone still stuck somewhere. No new bookings to speak of, and even folks with flights over the next few days have already changed plans.

chrisl137 Dec 29, 2022 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ezefllying (Post 34875444)

The thing they've been struggling with is knowing where all the crew are. They lost track of a lot of them in the mess, and they don't seem to have a system that lets them ask everybody to check in electronically with where they are and their duty status (i.e. whether they're legal to fly or not). It's done by phone and manually entered/tracked. Getting the aircraft into the right places seems relatively straightforward, and they all come with pilots (because aircraft can't change airports without pilots), but the pilots also have mandatory rest requirements that can't be violated. So they've been spending the week ferrying a few planes around to get the right number of planes of each type in the right location, and figuring out where the crews were and ferrying the right number of crew (with appropriate rest) into each location. Then they can put all that data into their crew/route optimizer and do a clean run, send out assignments by carrier pigeon or whatever, and start fresh friday morning like nothing happened.

NoStressHere Dec 29, 2022 7:47 pm

I get confused over this "having to move aircraft all over" as if that is a major job.

No matter how bad it got, every Southwest plane was in a city they fly out of. sometimes more than normal, so they have to move those planes, but by simple logic, a good share of planes were in cities where they would need them

DenverBrian Dec 29, 2022 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 34875875)
I get confused over this "having to move aircraft all over" as if that is a major job.

No matter how bad it got, every Southwest plane was in a city they fly out of. sometimes more than normal, so they have to move those planes, but by simple logic, a good share of planes were in cities where they would need them

Indeed. I thought one of the huge advantages of WN was that they had a single type rating, meaning all pilots could fly all planes in the system. If true, then what does it matter if OMA normally has three 738s, but currently has a 738 and two MAXes sitting there?

jjbiv Dec 29, 2022 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 34875903)
Indeed. I thought one of the huge advantages of WN was that they had a single type rating, meaning all pilots could fly all planes in the system. If true, then what does it matter if OMA normally has three 738s, but currently has a 738 and two MAXes sitting there?

It matters a lot if you don't have enough pilots in Omaha to fly all three aircraft. Many pilots likely engaged in self-help and either went home on their own or to a hotel. They need to know where the crews are and if/how much they are legal to fly. They also need to be matched with a plane and other crewmembers in the city they are in or they need to be moved to a city where they can be matched (without many flights running to use as deadhead options). Or two pilots need to be matched with a plane to move it where it is needed. It's a pretty complicated exercise once you lose track of where the resources are and their individual statuses.

jjbiv Dec 29, 2022 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by h8teralert (Post 34874793)
Meanwhile, Southwest Business VP David Harvey continues taking cringe selfies and posting them on LinkedIn. Read the room, you clown.

I thought it was a nice show of solidarity for a VP to work the night shift with the crew scheduling and hotels teams. Could he really do anything to help? Probably not but he was there and that counts for something in my book. He could have been at home sleeping.

jjbiv Dec 29, 2022 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter (Post 34874687)
So a friend of mine is married to a southwest pilot. He went to an airport where he was supposed to fly out the other day, and finally managed to get through the scheduling and he gave them a list of planes. They were like”thanks we really needed that”. He also gave them a list of eight people hanging around the airport who worked for the airline and would like to get on a plane and fly some passengers somewhere

Seriously!?

the sad part is he thinks this has already been done a couple of times so they probably all have different people working on the solution. His fear is is they’re going to get three different sets of orders telling them to go three different places on three different planes.

his wife says he’s putting in applications with other airlines that he’s done- enough is enough and this was the final blow. He’s willing to give up seniority just to get away from this disaster. Now he may just be talking and he’ll probably back down, but it does show that there’s obviously some level of frustration with the staff. But considering she is the primary earner, he could afford to give up seniority.

Pilots essentially don't leave Southwest voluntarily in anything other than trace numbers so this would be remarkable if your friend's husband resigns

presence.unknown Dec 30, 2022 12:25 am

Originally Posted by h8teralert (Post 34874793)
Meanwhile, Southwest Business VP David Harvey continues taking cringe selfies and posting them on LinkedIn. Read the room, you clown.

Cringe and LinkedIn are like two peas in a pod.